Comers Millions...

villafan306

Would you trust DOL with Millions to Spend?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trust DOL with Millions to Spend?

• Yes
    • No

Would you trust DOL with the substantial amount of money invested into transfers by the comers or any other new owners?

Personally I would judging on the basis of signings like Sorensen, McCann etc. I think this will probably degenerate into an evaluation of his signings so far but judging on the whole LAursen and Sorensen debate over in the Laursen thread maybe that does need its own thread....

I would like this as a poll but as I can't make one perhaps a mod could help me out?

No, and IMO if the Comers take over they will probably want to bring in their own man.

Agreed and agreed.

O'Leary doesn't have a great track record with big money. I don't trust him with anymore.

Yes but i would still prefer someone else if we are to be really ambitious.

I'd agree with that, I think. I don't believe DO'L is the best man for the job, however I trust he wouldn't waste funds if he was given a chance to spend. In the transfer market, he's done quite well - it's more rather his coaching abilities I question.

Looking at Soccerbase, he's spent around 17-18 million net in his 2 and a half seasons, the squad is no larger (Ellis's dictat) and the league position no better. Cup results are so far no better.

OK he spent most of the dosh this summer, but we are doing worse this year than last and did worse last year than the year before.

I agree wit Michelsen, in that his buys have largely seemed quite good. Given the level he has traded at, they're perhaps better than that, even, but still, we're no better.

Maybe it's bad luck with injuries, maybe it's not.

He's OK for a sucfffling mid table ambition, or trying to stay up, but he's not top class.

SO if we had a serious budget, then no, he's not the right man. If we had a decent budget, and a different owner, then he's maybe OK, if we have no budget (as now) then frankly, no, there's better people able to do better than him under those circs. But then we really ought not to be in that position. But we are.

Change the owners, change the way the club is run, understand the revised constriants and conditions, and then make the decision.

I'd trust him 100%. And if the situation arose whereby I'm proved to have misplaced the trust, I'll gladly hold my hands up. I'd look stupid, doing it in front of my PC, but I'd do it.

Nope not for me thanks!!, There's no point being decent in the market when you can't motivate and man manage them properly!!..not to mention his lack of tactical nous, If buying good players with big money was all that was needed to be a manager then we'd all be good at it!!, I hope whoever takes over will install a manager who has won things and has proved himself!!.. Dol's had 3 seasons to show us his worth and his record isn't earth shattering!!,

Up.the.villa

Guest RantinRob
Nope not for me thanks!!, There's no point being decent in the market when you can't motivate and man manage them properly!!..not to mention his lack of tactical nous, If buying good players with big money was all that was needed to be a manager then we'd all be good at it!!, I hope whoever takes over will install a manager who has won things and has proved himself!!.. Dol's had 3 seasons to show us his worth and his record isn't earth shattering!!,

Up.the.villa

You seem very familiar :lol:

If the money was there to be spent then its a yes, i wouldnt trust him if it meant that by spending the money we were gambling on getting it back throgh champions leauge or anything, but if we had the money to spend i'd trust his decisions!!

Up.the.villa

Oh no!!.. don't tell me your that bloke i met in the Hustler store the other day? :shock: .. I hope you enjoyed that "special gift" you bought!!.. i've heard those things take ages to blow up! :crylaugh:

Up>the>villa

Taking his time with Leeds and Villa DOL has identified and bought very well IMO. He has worked on two very different remits at the two clubs and largely been successful.

Players like McCann, Solano, Sorensen, Hughes were all great bargain buys that improved our squad. Bouma, Laursen and Baros were all a little more expensive but could prove to be great business in the long term (depending on Lauresen knee of course).

At Leeds he got some good players in but it's a bit different when you can afford to gamble. He also got some shockers....not signings that many managers make which just dont work out, but signings that never looked like they were going to. The sums being spent by Leeds also made sure any errors were glaringly obvious, it also put transfers under pressure that werent necessarily involving bad players, just over-priced. If you spend a million on a player considered a decent prospect then at worst you've wasted a million so it can never really be a bad transfer, spend 9 million and unless they become a superstar you've wasted that money.

If you consider Leeds was his first job I think he's improved massively. Wht i'd need to see though is more involvement from him in the finances (which i think he has privately become at Villa) and drop all this presenting a list and letting the board get on with it nonsense. He needs to work out a budget and allocate funds per player, give the board an indication of what they're worth. In some ways I think working with Doug will have benefitted DOL as he has now seen if you dont spend much on a player then you cant lose much.

Up.the.villa

Oh no!!.. don't tell me your that bloke i met in the Hustler store the other day? :shock: .. I hope you enjoyed that "special gift" you bought!!.. i've heard those things take ages to blow up! :crylaugh:

Up>the>villa

He has even got the smilies :wink:

Â