Football Manager 2011

AndyClarke

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because in between Dinosaur hunting sessions I take my time machine forward to see how the Villa lads are getting on, you wait until he scores 25 goals in his debut season for blues. Still you'd expect him to get a few, they did win the Premier League that year, not to be outshone, we did OK ourselves finishing runners up in the Northern Section of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Grr... lost in the Conference play-off semi finals in my first season with Mansfield.

Completely overhauled the squad, and had a great pre-season (drew with Stoke and had a couple of 5-0 wins).

Second season, and I get one point from my first 4 games, including 7-4 and 5-0 defeats. Almost all my players have terrible morale. I assume it's because I've signed basically a whole new team, and they're struggling to gel. I didn't want to change formation, seeing as all the bars in the match preperation area were full; although I'm not sure if this itself is some kind of bug, as I'd not been using the formation long. That said, it was only a basic 4-4-2.

I switched to a different formation in an attempt to stop leaking so many goals, which so far has been relatively effective. I'm still in 18th though, after nine games.

Then, annoyingly, my board (grudgingly, on the second time of asking) decided to accept my request to relay the (very poor) pitch. This is marked as complete, with a start date of 06/08/2011, and a finish date of 07/07/2011. That's right, before it had even started. And my pitch condition is still 'very poor'. I can't make another request to relay it, either. The board do seem strange, too: the youth facilities were being upgraded all the way through last season, and then when the bar on the boardroom screen was finally full, they decided to cancel the upgrade on financial grounds. I don't have a lot of money, but why wait until it's practically ready? They've since (around a month later!) agreed to do it again, and I'm hoping it gets completed this time.

Just started a new game starting unemployed. Got offered the Woking job in blue square south in January and who do i find at the club? Joe Lolley regarded as a hot prospect! Anyway so with the game 0-0 coming into the last 10mins of my first match in charge bring him on as a sub and gets a penalty instantly. Steps up and....MISSES damn you! Haha

fmscreen.png

I know you LLM don't like talking about players but Joe Lolley should be one of the first players on your shortlist as he has the potential to be a Championship player on some games.

*olive branch*

Any idea you might know the answer to a question from a few pages back?

So, Stephen Ireland again. After putting him in the reserves for a couple of games to get his fitness up - he refused to speak to me for 4 months. I played him consistently during that time, praised him wherever I could and he still refused to talk to me, playing every game with "disinterest".

Then one of my other players came to talk to me last night saying he was unhappy with SI and he couldn't stay at the club if SI was still there. So I out SI on the transfer list, he immediately wants to talk to me to say how unfair it is. I tell him he is gone and he tells me he wants to put in the effort to turn it around.

My only conclusion: FM is more realistic than I'd given it credit for ;)

Just finished my first season in charge of Villa.

During the summer I brought in Alou Diarra, Van Der Wiel, Pienaar and Sotiris Ninis on loan. Got rid of Salifou, Carew & Osbourne on free's and pretty much all the reserves out on loan. Heskey rotted in the reserves as I couldn't get rid and didn't fit in my system.

I played 4-4-1-1. Played the first team in league games and 2nd string in every cup game.

By January I was through to the Carling Cup semi's, knockout of Europa League and sitting around 4th-6th in Prem.

I wasn't planning on buying anyone in January but did manage to offload Heskey on loan and Diarra on loan who had caused trouble a few months after the transfer. Anyway....League Cup semi's came round, I had Bolton who themselves were doing well sitting around European places. In the other Chelsea had Burnley. Only one outcome surely :lol: So I comfortably passed through to the final, still waiting to find out who I would play the next day. With the tie at 0-0 and the return leg at Chelsea I feared the worst, but Burnley somehow won 3-0 to set up an easy final.

Days after that I was knocked out by Chelsea in the FA Cup 4th Rd. And worse was to come on the day before the end of the transfer window. Gabby was injured in a game and had broke his leg. Out for 5-6 months and left me with just Delfouneso to play up front for the rest of the season. Quickly I looked for a striker either cheap or available for loan and in the end had the choice of 2. Hugo Almeida or Khouma Babacar. I decided on Babacar on loan.

Early Feb and knocked out the Europa League by Schalke but I wasn't fussed as I wanted to concentrate on the league. It was between about 5 clubs for 2 places in the CL. It came down to the last few games. My last 6 games were Man City, Birmingham, Liverpool, Fulham, Arsenal, West Brom. Respective results were 1-0, 1-1, 1-1, 1-1, 1-0. This left me 4th on goal difference with a game away to West Brom left. Final day needed a win, went 2-1 down. Delfouneso proceeded to score a hat-trick to put me 4-2 up and WBA scored a late consolation. I GOT CL FOOTBALL!! :D Well pleased as I spent half the season with 2 youngsters up front.

Was runner-up for manager of year and Stephen Ireland was 3rd in Young Player of Year. James Collins was a substitute in Team of Year.

Early June now, already signed deals for Rio Mavuba and Charlie Adam in midfield. Combined fee - £5mil.

-------

EDIT - Forgot to say. I did win that final in the Carling Cup.

Â