Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tinyurl.com/2vgg8uf

Jurgen the German tops Villa wish list

Jurgen Klinsmann is top of Aston Villa’s wish list as their next boss if the Kevin MacDonald experiment fails.

Reserve coach MacDonald gets his last chance to stake a claim to be ­Martin O’Neill’s ­permanent successor today when Villa face Everton in desperate need of a win.

Thursday’s exit from the Europa League, ­coming on the back of the embarrassing 6-0 ­drubbing at newly-­promoted Newcastle, has left owner Randy Lerner (above) deciding he must take action tomorrow to sort out the club’s next boss.

Klinsmann, credited with beginning the revolution in German football promoting young players into the ­national team when he was boss for the 2006 World Cup, fits the profile if Lerner goes for a high-profile ­replacement.

The 46-year-old, capped 108 times by Germany, has just moved his family back to their California home after an ill-fated spell as boss of Bayern Munich, but has made it clear he’d be open to the right offer to work in ­England.

He said recently: “The next opportunity I take on must have an environment where I feel really happy. I want to work with people that do it for the right reasons.

“I want to fit into an environment that kind of shares my philosophy, and my philosophy is an ­attacking style of ­football.

“That’s just the way I think, and it’s how I built the German team for the 2006 World Cup over two years, which was highly ­criticised over a long stretch of time, and then they ­embraced it.

“It’s a style of play that takes time to implement, and you need the environment that gives you that time.

“That’s why I’m ­cautious. It needs to fit.”

That accords with Lerner’s vision for Villa after the ­American banking ­billionaire realised he ­can’t compete with Manchester City’s spending and needs to find another way to build a sustainable model.

He wants a boss he can work with rather than be confrontational after falling out with O’Neill over transfer plans.

Klinsmann’s gentlemanly style is just right – and he also has the standing in the game both to inspire the young ­players coming through the club’s academy scheme as well as manage the senior stars bought by O’Neill. Klinsmann had begun a ­behind-the-scenes revolution improving Bayern ­Munich’s youth structure before falling out with ­directors who were ­impatient for first-team ­results.

He was sacked even though the team were just three points off the top of the Bundesliga.

Current USA coach Bob Bradley is not seen as a ­viable option because ­Lerner is aware the fans don’t want him due to his lack of ­European experience.

Former player Ian Taylor warned: “All the fans that I’ve spoken to want a bigger name than Bradley as the next Villa manager.

“The most common thing you hear from them is they want someone who has ­actually managed in the league – or knows what the Premier League is all about.”

­MacDonald insists he’s still a ­credible candidate.

He said: “I’d like to think I’m still a viable option if we get the right ­result against Everton.

“That would mean two wins, two defeats and a draw so then you’re 50-50.

“From that point of view if I made the choice that I’d like to talk to them, I’d like to think they would still give me that opportunity.”

That fits in with what General Krulak said....I hope it's Klinsman...If we get a defencive midfielder who can cover the back 4 then I think attacking style of football will work good.....Without a defencive midfielder...meh...

I'd like to think that Klinsmann would do a decent job, and again like Sven, he probably would fit the bill for what they're looking for.

But it'll get repeatedly mentioned that Low had a massive part to play behind Germany's 2006 campaign. So is Klinsmann really good enough for the role?

I agree with you about Joachim Low's imput in Klinsmann's German team, also JK doesn't fit the criteria that the General has just mentioned. (it's 15 years since he last played in the premiership)

He knows the league, he has won games....what don't fit?

SSN Teletext, Villa Page has KMack saying that the club want a new man in place for the Stoke game on Sept 13th. Interviews early next week according to Dave W on H&V. At least we're moving forward. Toughest of choices for our Board.

In the Mirror article about Klinsmann, it mentions that he significantly improved Munich's youth system. Do you think he was a key figure in Mullers progress as a first team player or not?

If he came to Villa, improved the style of play and improved the youth system and has more emphasis on young players, then I think he'd be a great appointment.

He'd have money to spend and would easily attract top quality players, not to mention young Germans :)

I would be happy with Klinsmann.

Do we really need to improve our youth system? The last time I looked, we were reserve league Champions. We have several kids of quality coming through the ranks. Kevin Mack, Sid and Tony Mack have done a magic job with the reserves and the kids. What we need is someone to bring in the two to three quality, if reasonably priced, players we need to move us forward.

Klinsmann has always given me the impession that football is a hobby and his real passion is life in the sun with his family.

Our club cannot afford a brief love affair with JK just until he is ready and loaded enough to resume his Californian idyll.

Do we really need to improve our youth system?

Yes IMO.

Not a lot of players coming through the academy have made it as players for Villa. I'm not saying it's bad but there's always room for improvement. We should strive to make our academy as good as, if not better, than Barcelona's and Ajax's.

I know it's not likely but we should try our best to improve.

Yes IMO.

Not a lot of players coming through the academy have made it as players for Villa. I'm not saying it's bad but there's always room for improvement. We should strive to make our academy as good as, if not better, than Barcelona's and Ajax's.

I don't disagree with you mate. I do think though that JK is using the youth set up improvement to hawk himself for any available jobs, including Villa's. That said, all managers need a selling point I suppose. I'm not convinced with Klinsman.

Our club cannot afford a brief love affair with JK just until he is ready and loaded enough to resume his Californian idyll.

Yet they could with Kevin if he took over briefly until the right manager came along.

People were saying give it Kevin until January or the end of the season.

Yes IMO.

I don't disagree with you mate. I do think though that JK is using the youth set up improvement to hawk himself for any available jobs, including Villa's. That said, all managers need a selling point I suppose. I'm not convinced with Klinsman.

Bringing through one youth player takes years of commitment. Klinsmann wouldn't be at Villa for long enough imo.

Just heared Bonnie and Clyde want the job :D

Seriously though, can anyone understand the piss ive had tonight?

I could bayenet their mothers, and sell the slags to a harem!!!! Ive had the same old glum fcuking shit all night, and im at breaking point.....

Come on Randy, ffs...we are VILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes IMO.

Quote from Klinsman: “The next opportunity I take on must have an environment where I feel really happy. I want to work with people that do it for the right reasons.

General's comment :He needs to know the League, have demonstrated he can win in the League, be a team player who understands the ethos, traditions and values of the Club, be in synch with the leadership of the Club and have the same vision, etc. etc. etc.

Looks like they're looking for the same thing...Sorta.

Yet they could with Kevin if he took over briefly until the right manager came along.

People were saying give it Kevin until January or the end of the season.

I think you're right that the combination could work in the short term, but I got the impression from the General today that they want to appoint "The Man" for the long term Villa future.

Please lord let it be Klinsmann. Please. I'd prefer him as US national coach because the US really needs to overhaul our youth programs to grow better players and I think he's the right person for that but I'll take him at Villa any day of the week. He's a striker that knew how to strike! Hell if all else fails he can throw the Villa jersey on and score for Villa himself.

Please lord let it be Klinsmann. Please. I'd prefer him as US national coach because the US really needs to overhaul our youth programs to grow better players and I think he's the right person for that but I'll take him at Villa any day of the week. He's a striker that knew how to strike! Hell if all else fails he can throw the Villa jersey on and score for Villa himself.

Not being funny, and i respect your opinion.....but why?

The only club job he had at Bayern, was a complete disaster. And as for Germany, its commonly accepted that it was Lowe whom brought those players through.

Sorry, but i think Barry Fry has more credentails, but ive had a bad fcuking night, and im not thinking straight :winkold: