Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

No matter what the manager is like, you cant back down and grovel for him to return.

Even Chelsea wouldnt do that for Jse - it would be suicidal ownership.

The one thing everyone agrees on, no matter what your view, is Aston Villa is bigger than any person - try and ask him to return, you are showing the world they are !

Seriously, I sometimes wonder what people think about on here, is everyone 15.

I wouldn't even want him back. For the money spent and the players we had, we played some utterly shite football.

I've trawled back a few pages to see if I've missed anything and had to add my support to this post.

I'm pleased that I can look forward to a season of non - Mon football. I'm happy that a self loving "media darling" has gone. I hope we get a cracking new manager, but if we don't I shall still be happy that we've got our club back.

Henceforce we will be known as "ASTON VILLA" .......... not "Martin O'Neill's" aston villa, as the media icon loving b*stards labelled us.

UTV!!!!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its not taking so long because the board don't want to spend money, but because they have no idea how to find the right manager for our club and are waiting for one obvious choice to emerge.

Just my opinion but I would be happy to wait till next year to have a new manager if it means the right manager because at the minute there is NO ONE!!!!!!! please no SVEN or BOB these are just desperation managers who we will have for 2 seasons if they sign!!!!!

Maybe he is waiting for us to play Everton so he can tap up Moyles.

I think we tried mate but he said he was happy there. He'd only leave them to come here if he was given the sort of funds MON had here. I don't think we could afford that now. He'd be moving to the same situation here as he already has there atm. It's his team at Everton with arguably a better squad so why would he leave.

From what GK said, we want an experienced manager who has managed in our league.

So drawing up a short list should take an hour or so, put buy out prices against each name and then find out how much each would want to come.

I'm guessing we are looking at around 10 to 15 names? Go for what you can afford

Reading General Krulak's posts on the matter of new manager, its all 'taking our time to get the right man in.' The right man is more important than a quick appointment.

Now to me, if the new manager isn't in place in time to work the transfer window, I expect the appointment to be someone **** exceptional.

If its not, then there is no way the procrastinating is justified. New players are vital, for so many reasons. The loss of Milner, no reserve left back, just keeping with the team competitive within the top 6. To name a few.

If the new manager isn't an exceptional candidate, and its too late to make transfers. Its sure as hell going to look like a deliberate play not to spend money. And to fans and players, that will be a PR nightmare.

while I understand the press wuld love your conspiracy story to be true, what if the reason the appointment takes time is because the manager is currently at another club, and before we can talk to him compensation has to be agreed ?

Or what if the whole thing is just taking time ?

Are you suggesting that because we need a backup left back we should name just any manager rather than wait for the right guy ?

Thing is without consent from the clubs your not suppose to speak to the managers. So agreeing a fee and then speaking to them may well take a bit longer than it seems. Especially when you would want to speak to everyone at least once before you even decide on a reduced list of candidtaes that you would probably want to speak to again. I'm also guessing that maybe they wanted Jol so they had to wait to see if Ajax qualified for the Cl? Thats a guess though.

Just been on the LMA website to see who is avalible names with prem exp:

Gianfranco Zola - Graeme Souness - Glenn Roeder - Tony Mowbray - Gary Megson - Gareth Southgate - Joe Kinnear - Kevin Keegan - Paul Jewell - Glenn Hoddle - Paul Hart - Ruud Gullit - Sven-Göran Eriksson - Iain Dowie - Alan Curbishley - Chris Coleman - Phil Brown.

Names that stood out in the hall of fame with prem exp:

Gerard Houllier - Graham Taylor Terry Venables

Only a couple would be candidates for the villa job

As someone posted earlier....here are a few to pick from....Not sure what other names could be added to that list that are currently in jobs or out of work.

Jol is the stand out target because he's not had a break from managing and managing well.

Can we get him from Ajax? If he was considering Fulham then he would jump at the chance to manage Villa.

It just comes down to our willingness to pay a huge compensation package. If Randy thinks he's the right man for the job he will pay what it takes imo.

EDIT: Would you rather spend the money on a has been striker like Keane or use it to secure the services of Martin Jol?

"The right man" would appear to be someone who is willing to join a club after the transfer window has closed, and thus cannot bring in any of their own players. Sure saves the club money in the short term.

Just because you keep saying this, it doesn't mean its true.

It sure doesn't. But it's nice to throw around conspiracy theories.

Realistically though, by not getting in a manager before the transfer window closes, I think we've probably shut off a few avenues that might have been open. Some managers would want that time to get some new faces in, but obviously that won't be possible. And if that hurts the club, and we then we're chasing after poorer managers, that would piss me off. But of course we'll always get told that whoever comes in will be the right choice, whether they we're first choice or not.

http://tinyurl.com/2vgg8uf

Jurgen the German tops Villa wish list

Jurgen Klinsmann is top of Aston Villa’s wish list as their next boss if the Kevin MacDonald experiment fails.

Reserve coach MacDonald gets his last chance to stake a claim to be ­Martin O’Neill’s ­permanent successor today when Villa face Everton in desperate need of a win.

Thursday’s exit from the Europa League, ­coming on the back of the embarrassing 6-0 ­drubbing at newly-­promoted Newcastle, has left owner Randy Lerner (above) deciding he must take action tomorrow to sort out the club’s next boss.

Klinsmann, credited with beginning the revolution in German football promoting young players into the ­national team when he was boss for the 2006 World Cup, fits the profile if Lerner goes for a high-profile ­replacement.

The 46-year-old, capped 108 times by Germany, has just moved his family back to their California home after an ill-fated spell as boss of Bayern Munich, but has made it clear he’d be open to the right offer to work in ­England.

He said recently: “The next opportunity I take on must have an environment where I feel really happy. I want to work with people that do it for the right reasons.

“I want to fit into an environment that kind of shares my philosophy, and my philosophy is an ­attacking style of ­football.

“That’s just the way I think, and it’s how I built the German team for the 2006 World Cup over two years, which was highly ­criticised over a long stretch of time, and then they ­embraced it.

“It’s a style of play that takes time to implement, and you need the environment that gives you that time.

“That’s why I’m ­cautious. It needs to fit.”

That accords with Lerner’s vision for Villa after the ­American banking ­billionaire realised he ­can’t compete with Manchester City’s spending and needs to find another way to build a sustainable model.

He wants a boss he can work with rather than be confrontational after falling out with O’Neill over transfer plans.

Klinsmann’s gentlemanly style is just right – and he also has the standing in the game both to inspire the young ­players coming through the club’s academy scheme as well as manage the senior stars bought by O’Neill. Klinsmann had begun a ­behind-the-scenes revolution improving Bayern ­Munich’s youth structure before falling out with ­directors who were ­impatient for first-team ­results.

He was sacked even though the team were just three points off the top of the Bundesliga.

Current USA coach Bob Bradley is not seen as a ­viable option because ­Lerner is aware the fans don’t want him due to his lack of ­European experience.

Former player Ian Taylor warned: “All the fans that I’ve spoken to want a bigger name than Bradley as the next Villa manager.

“The most common thing you hear from them is they want someone who has ­actually managed in the league – or knows what the Premier League is all about.”

­MacDonald insists he’s still a ­credible candidate.

He said: “I’d like to think I’m still a viable option if we get the right ­result against Everton.

“That would mean two wins, two defeats and a draw so then you’re 50-50.

“From that point of view if I made the choice that I’d like to talk to them, I’d like to think they would still give me that opportunity.”

I'd like to think that Klinsmann would do a decent job, and again like Sven, he probably would fit the bill for what they're looking for.

But it'll get repeatedly mentioned that Low had a massive part to play behind Germany's 2006 campaign. So is Klinsmann really good enough for the role?

I'd like to think that Klinsmann would do a decent job, and again like Sven, he probably would fit the bill for what they're looking for.

But it'll get repeatedly mentioned that Low had a massive part to play behind Germany's 2006 campaign. So is Klinsmann really good enough for the role?

I agree with you about Joachim Low's imput in Klinsmann's German team, also JK doesn't fit the criteria that the General has just mentioned. (it's 15 years since he last played in the premiership)