Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

I still don't understand how Leonardo has got this reputation of being a great manager? Can anyone enlighten me?

Not great as a manager, but in the "upstairs" role he had at Milan he was great! Sort of a technical director/head scout.

Provided he and K-Mac could work together, that would be perfect.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I want our new manager to be buying the players that he wants to play. He knows the team, he knows what is needed to improve it. Why put that into someone else's hands? Sure, I don't think a DOF would buy terrible players, but maybe not players that the manager would prefer to work with.

I still don't understand how Leonardo has got this reputation of being a great manager? Can anyone enlighten me?

He's foreign.

Whoah there - Lets not be so dismissive...

He's not just Foreign, he's Brazilian!

Not great as a manager, but in the "upstairs" role he had at Milan he was great! Sort of a technical director/head scout.

Fair enough. I was only judgin him as a manager and from what i can see he was very average.

Maybe him as a technical role with K Mac as manager would work. Could be a bit of a gamble though, and hardly going to help the wage bill.

as mentioned earleir done a good job last year replacing Ancelotti at MIlan especially when they sold Kaka and never replaced him. Played good attacking football and could have won the league if he was backed by the board as they made poor signings like Huntelaar.

Also got Ronaldinho bothered about football again.

Watch 1st 20 minutes of CL game between Milan and United. Milan hammered them and could have been 3 or 4 up

Hes Brazilian, silly!

And Brazilians are the greatest Footballers, Managers and Coaches in the World. They invented Football and gave it to us, so weve just go to have a Brazilian :winkold:

Anyone else think we could just have a caretaker manager for months? Players seem to be pretty behind MacDonald, but if he has the option to back down to the background staff again, he'd probably like to keep that open.

Fair enough. I was only judgin him as a manager and from what i can see he was very average.

Maybe him as a technical role with K Mac as manager would work. Could be a bit of a gamble though, and hardly going to help the wage bill.

True, but if you really look at any appointment, whether manager, player or behind the scenes, they're all gambles. There's so many different factors that can dictate success or failure.

The thing about Leonardo, from hearing him speak about football, is he seems really down to earth and laid back, probably not the best credentials for football management? But as the guy who has to go and talk to players or agents and sell the club to up and coming foreign talent, well he's proved he's pretty good at it, albeit having the name of AC Milan to assist him previously.

I think if the DoF and head coach have a close working relationship and shared vision about the running of the club and maintain an open dialogue about the influx of new players, then it could work very succesfully.

Anyone else think we could just have a caretaker manager for months? Players seem to be pretty behind MacDonald, but if he has the option to back down to the background staff again, he'd probably like to keep that open.

I think thats quite possible, since naming him Manager would proberly put a little more pressure on him. In fact im sure he intimated how he prefers the training ground, yesterday?

I just worry that once we hit a brick wall, people will have the knives out for him, and i dont really want to see macca leaving, cos that would be a great loss.

Stevo, you say it wouldn't help the wage bill, but he'd find players abroad where MON was reluctant for possibly a cheaper market, I think he'd be a great person for the club and would help build the AVFC profile.

I'm not disputing that. you're absolutely right.

I was just saying sacking one manager, then hiring K Mac as manager AND a technical director (or whatever Leonardo would be called) would immediately be adding to the wage bill (i.e. getting rid of one head, hiring 2)

It would obviously depend on how much K Mac and leonardo would be paid, but I assume combined they'd be considerably more than MON.

I think thats quite possible, since naming him Manager would proberly put a little more pressure on him. In fact im sure he intimated how he prefers the training ground, yesterday?

I just worry that once we hit a brick wall, people will have the knives out for him, and i dont really want to see macca leaving, cos that would be a great loss.

That's why I think it'd suit him to stay on as Caretaker Manager.

When we hit a brick wall and the knives come out, we announce a new manager and he returns to the training ground with everyone's respect and continues to do the excellent job he's been doing.