Barry Bannan

villianusa

Managers often don't sub the worst performing player in order to not damage confidence.

Agreed, often they do. But not today. Worst performance from a single player all season.

Bannan's long balls and crosses were decent today.

Westwood missed 4 out of 5 long balls, Bannan made 3 out of 5 of his. Bannan's free kicks and crosses were mostly whipped in, though only one of them connected with a Villa head first.

Your stats are getting bloody boring, hold no context and are highly likely to be wholly inaccurate. Did you get them from Opta, or some tin pot web site? It takes Opta days to get the stats sorted but you have them within seconds at the end of the match... very dubious.

Didn't take long for everyone to start blaming Bannan. A few questions I'll ask..

1) Did any of Bannan's mistakes lead to goals?

2) Did Delph make much of an impact when he came on?

3) Did Westwood and Sylla give the ball away?

I mean my god, you'd think all of Liverpool's goals were Bannan's fault. He played poory today but still looked tidyish on the pitch. Stop solely blaming losses on Bannan, its completely unjustified and getting boring.

How many mistakes lead to goalscoring opportunities for the opposition? Just because they weren't clinical doesn't make the mistake any less serious.

Delph made less of an impact than Bannan when he came on. Liverpool were gutted to lose some of their creativity.

Do Westwood and Sylla play further up the pitch where a 10 yard pass to an attacker in no space is a lot harder than a 10 yard pass to a defender in oozes of space?

But Bannan has rarely given the ball away which should've led to goals, from the game i've seen, which has been all of them except Everton away and Stoke at home, Bannan has given the ball away 4 times which have led to clear cut chances, throughout the season.

Delph was very poor imo, and actually played worse than Bannan did, he made no impact except conceding needless fouls and giving the ball away. At least Bannan wastidyish, I remember a lovely touch which took him past Henderson before a good through ball into Weimann.

Westwood sits slightly deeper than Bannan and Sylla are level. If anything Westwood should have better passing stats than Bannan, but yet he doesn't.

Your memory of the season is not strong enough evidence to convince me otherwise funnily enough.

Delph could have played the worst game of his career but it wouldn't have been as bad as Bannan's performance today.

Are you getting Westwood's passing stats from the same place as Con? i.e. Noddyland?

Even if you are there is no context behind the stats and so they are as effective in an argument as Bannan's performance was today.

Is your favorite film Eyes Wide Shut?

Didn't take long for everyone to start blaming Bannan. A few questions I'll ask..

I mean my god, you'd think all of Liverpool's goals were Bannan's fault. He played poory today but still looked tidyish on the pitch. Stop solely blaming losses on Bannan, its completely unjustified and getting boring.

How many mistakes lead to goalscoring opportunities for the opposition? Just because they weren't clinical doesn't make the mistake any less serious.

Delph made less of an impact than Bannan when he came on. Liverpool were gutted to lose some of their creativity.

Do Westwood and Sylla play further up the pitch where a 10 yard pass to an attacker in no space is a lot harder than a 10 yard pass to a defender in oozes of space?

But Bannan has rarely given the ball away which should've led to goals, from the game i've seen, which has been all of them except Everton away and Stoke at home, Bannan has given the ball away 4 times which have led to clear cut chances, throughout the season.

Delph was very poor imo, and actually played worse than Bannan did, he made no impact except conceding needless fouls and giving the ball away. At least Bannan wastidyish, I remember a lovely touch which took him past Henderson before a good through ball into Weimann.

Westwood sits slightly deeper than Bannan and Sylla are level. If anything Westwood should have better passing stats than Bannan, but yet he doesn't.

Your memory of the season is not strong enough evidence to convince me otherwise funnily enough.

Delph could have played the worst game of his career but it wouldn't have been as bad as Bannan's performance today.

Are you getting Westwood's passing stats from the same place as Con? i.e. Noddyland?

Even if you are there is no context behind the stats and so they are as effective in an argument as Bannan's performance was today.

Ha....

Delph was useless, he offered less than nothing. Bannan isn't as bad as you say he is. He wasn't that bad today.

Compard to the QPR game Westwood had the big dip in performance.

Bannan's passing accuracy today was actually a creditable 3% higher than his season average.

Opta is one of the sources for this website's statistics

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/24

A big dip in Westwood's performance doesn't mean he was worse than Bannan... just means he's been playing at a higher standard than Bannan all season.

I'd fully expect Bannan's accuracy to be higher than his season average every game until the end of the season. He used to always try lots of Hollywood passes and then got dropped because of it. On his reintroduction into the team he doesn't hit nearly as many long passes and instead passes 5 yard balls to the defense everytime it comes to him... something my mother can do.

Compard to the QPR game Westwood had the big dip in performance.

Bannan's passing accuracy today was actually a creditable 3% higher than his season average.

Opta is one of the sources for this website's statistics

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/24

A big dip in Westwood's performance doesn't mean he was worse than Bannan... just means he's been playing at a higher standard than Bannan all season.

I'd fully expect Bannan's accuracy to be higher than his season average every game until the end of the season. He used to always try lots of Hollywood passes and then got dropped because of it. On his reintroduction into the team he doesn't hit nearly as many long passes and instead passes 5 yard balls to the defense everytime it comes to him... something my mother can do.

That is not true. You made that statistic up - at least I can cite mine.

Westwood and Bannan pass backwards about 35-6% of the time, compared to 45%+ for our more defensive midfielders (49% Delph, 45% El Ahmadi, 61% Sylla).

http://www.squawka.com/players/ashley-westwood

Ha....

Delph was useless, he offered less than nothing. Bannan isn't as bad as you say he is. He wasn't that bad today.

He's good for a team that wants to get relegated.

Please remember you support Aston Villa. A famous, world class and historic club. We shouldn't be content with Birmingham level players... we are better than that and Bannan was horrendously bad today and justifying it by trying to relative it to Delph's performance isn't exactly a strong argument for you.

There are some players in the squad that have the potential to play for top 6 sides in the big leagues. Bannan is not one of those players and comparing his performance today as better than Delphs isn't an accolade. His passing most of the time is ok to good but when that is your one and only attribute it has to be better than just good because every time you lose it it gets highlighted.

He's a very average player that sometimes on the odd occasion plays better than average, that is all. To those defending him I wonder if you can name a game he was outstanding in.

He is not a player that you'd choose to build a team around.

Ha....

He's good for a team that wants to get relegated.

Please remember you support Aston Villa. A famous, world class and historic club. We shouldn't be content with Birmingham level players... we are better than that and Bannan was horrendously bad today and justifying it by trying to relative it to Delph's performance isn't exactly a strong argument for you.

Bannan was poor today, but not as bad as you say he is. I never said we should settle for players like Bannan, i was just making the point that it is very unfair to heavily criticise one player when everyone else has played just as bad.

There are some players in the squad that have the potential to play for top 6 sides in the big leagues. Bannan is not one of those players and comparing his performance today as better than Delphs isn't an accolade. His passing most of the time is ok to good but when that is your one and only attribute it has to be better than just good because every time you lose it it gets highlighted.

He's a very average player that sometimes on the odd occasion plays better than average, that is all. To those defending him I wonder if you can name a game he was outstanding in.

Arsenal at home he was very good, bossed midfield. Liverpool away he was outstanding(but so was most of the team). I think Bannan can be used as a tool in a better team, but certainly not the focal point.

Arsenal at home he was very good, bossed midfield. Liverpool away he was outstanding(but so was most of the team). I think Bannan can be used as a tool in a better team, but certainly not the focal point.

Arsenal at home he bossed the midfield? That game hardly existed no one did anything, Liverpool away? Possibly I'll give you that one but as you say they all were. Not a great selection though is it? And I'm not talking about just this season either.

Arsenal at home he bossed the midfield? That game hardly existed no one did anything, Liverpool away? Possibly I'll give you that one but as you say they all were. Not a great selection though is it? And I'm not talking about just this season either.

His better performances are distinctly average (QPR / Reading). His worst performances are atrocious (today, and all games other than QPR / Reading).

When does his contract run out?

Summer of 2014... no many soundings about starting contract negotiations either... thank God.

Fortunately I don't think there is much chance of him being offered a new contract. He'd have to have some turnaround next season for that to happen. 

Against Arsenal the game was mostly played in midfield and Bannan worked hard to stop Arsenal playing, and was very economical and efficient with possession.

Against Arsenal the game was mostly played in midfield and Bannan worked hard to stop Arsenal playing, and was very economical and efficient with possession.

Working hard and bossing the midfield are two different things. He was efficient with possession you say yet it was less accurate than all of Arsenals midfield of Ramsey, Cazorla, Podolski, Chamberlain and Arteta. He also passed the ball less than Ramsey, Cazorla and Arteta but managed one whole pass more than Podolski. I'll give you he may have worked hard but either way it wasnt an outstanding performance of which we have one from how many appearances?