Barry Bannan

villianusa

You are rehashing the same old criticisms which I believe have been debunked with the help of statistics.

Statistics matter a lot in football because your team can play the best and still lose the game.

But I don't want to over-emphasise statistics because opinion can never be eliminated even when you use statistics. Like you say, stats never tell the whole story.

In this case though, I don't think I've said anything particularly strange in terms of positive comments about Bannan's play.

* I've not said he was the best player on the pitch. I've said he wasn't the worst and the midfield wasn't to blame. This opinion is supported by Lambert who said the defence was to blame, and by a Guardian reporter who gave Bannan a positive comment in his game write up.

* I posted criticisms of his play last night. I'm not posting positive comments and nothing else.

Firstly I don't think anyone has debunked criticisms based on stats, not even you. I believe the majority of fan's have an opinion based on what they have seen and not read and I doubt very much many have even given the stats a second thought.

Secondly when you try to back up your comments with stats that show Bannan has made more tackles than Xavi and clearances etc?! That mate is strange enough which ever way you look at it, even if you then say, "I'm not saying he's better than Xavi though"? What was the point of raising the point?

Thirdly saying your opinions are supported by Lambert and a reporter from the Guardian is hardly worth shouting about. The central midfield and defence is where all our problems are at the moment the gaps in the middle in the last 20mins last night were a disgrace.

This isn't an I hate Con rant either.

Secondly when you try to back up your comments with stats that show Bannan has made more tackles than Xavi and clearances etc?! That mate is strange enough which ever way you look at it, even if you then say, "I'm not saying he's better than Xavi though"? What was the point of raising the point?

If you go back through the posts, someone else raised the point about Xavi and Modric. I replied to it.

Thirdly saying your opinions are supported by Lambert and a reporter from the Guardian is hardly worth shouting about. The central midfield and defence is where all our problems are at the moment the gaps in the middle in the last 20mins last night were a disgrace.

I didn't think the first half performance was particularly impressive. Whatever the reason for the "gaps" at the end, the Bradford goals didn't come from the midfield. They all came from the wings, two corners and one cross.

Midfield is not to blame for the goals. Midfield created chances for the strikers who didn't score. I reiterate that point that the midfield, though it didn't play great, is not to blame for the result. All 11 players could have played better.

If you go back through the posts, someone else raised the point about Xavi and Modric. I replied to it.

I didn't think the first half performance was particularly impressive. Whatever the reason for the "gaps" at the end, the Bradford goals didn't come from the midfield. They all came from the wings, two corners and one cross.

Midfield is not to blame for the goals. Midfield created chances for the strikers who didn't score. I reiterate that point that the midfield, though it didn't play great, is not to blame for the result. All 11 players could have played better.

Your right about all 11 could've played better nobody can argue with that however I think that although goals were conceded via the wings, passes through the middle were being intercepted to create the counters down the wings. Also it isn't the midfielders jobs to just create chances but to also protect the back four. Even more important in Villa's case.

I form my opinion by watching the players close up at the games.

Using this I think Bannan is an excellent player who's been held back by our poor run over the past 2 seasons.

As we improve and get better players I think you'll see Bannan improve too.

This. I reckon Bannan would shine with a decent DCM next to him, instead of Delph. A lot of what went forward last night went through him.

Your right about all 11 could've played better nobody can argue with that however I think that although goals were conceded via the wings, passes through the middle were being intercepted to create the counters down the wings. Also it isn't the midfielders jobs to just create chances but to also protect the back four. Even more important in Villa's case.

It is primarily the LW or RW's job to help defend the wings from crosses with the LB and RB. You can't pull your CM out to do that very often. Bannan and Delph's main responsibility was defence of the front of our penalty area.

None of the goals came from that direction, except the first goal, the long shot deflected into the path of the striker.

There was nobody on the top of the semi-circle to close the shot down. However, you would expect the cross from the corner to have been cleared properly to begin with.

There is no logic in pinning all or even the majority of the blame for the performance on the midfield. The manager isn't doing it. The news reporter isn't doing it.

The strikers and the defence were most under the spotlight yesterday.

Albrighton received the same level of defence when people first started questioning him.

I think bannan will end up the same way. He's **** useless.

Is he better than other midfield options? Probably, doesn't change the fact he's not good enough for this level.

I can't wait for this guy to leave.

For those who find Bannan hard to understand, I have found another comparison that isn't Xavi.

Leon Britton - Swansea.

5'5. Not stocky.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Leon_Britton

Leon Britton is in the Swansea central midfield that has beaten Chelsea 0-2 at Stamford bridge with 36% of the ball possession.

Here's Swansea's whoscored.com page

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/259

Leon Britton has 18 PL appearances - rarely missed a match - but has no goals or assists this season. He doesn't take Swansea set pieces. Has same number tackles as Bannan. I think if you worked out the interceptions/minutes ratio, they will be about the same (Bannan played less time than Britton). Britton is most important to his team for his passing.

But because he has no goals and assists in 18 matches he must be rubbish, right? He's had enough chances. He's a Championship player. Swansea fans must really hate him.

Statistics don't tell you everything - indeed they don't!

Edited by Con

Didn't he set up 3 sitters for our forwards? He shouldn't play deep midfield though I agree. High up the pitch just to the left of our striker/s he is very good at those little chipped balls in...and corners - didn't Benteke almost score from 2 of them? 5 potential assists right there. Not bad for the forum fall guy eh.

Didn't he set up 3 sitters for our forwards? He shouldn't play deep midfield though I agree. High up the pitch just to the left of our striker/s he is very good at those little chipped balls in...and corners - didn't Benteke almost score from 2 of them? 5 potential assists right there. Not bad for the forum fall guy eh.

11:05pm League Cup show BBC1.

I'll be watching.

While Bannan did offer up chances for our strikers it is true at other times he played some wretched balls and in the first half did over-hit a freekick. Yes, it would be great to have competition for Bannan in the squad, or even a better player.

However, he is still by default our best midfielder, and his performance and role in the defeat didn't warrant the reaction on the forum ... so I hope those who have been critical watch the football tonight and perhaps be a bit more open-minded why we lost the game.

Should be on first.

Edited by Con

I think most people issue with Banan is that he missplaces about 10 passes each game.

How many passes is he allowed to misplace, in your opinion, before he becomes fit to wear the shirt?

Remember that making chances often requires playing the hard ball. Sometimes you have to go for them even though they could be intercepted.

I would expect a creative passing player who creates goalscoring chances for strikers to misplace passes in the same way I understand that N'Zogbia is going to get tackled a lot, because he tries to do the hard thing and dribble around defenders.

Anyway I watched the League Cup show. The edited highlights made Bannan look like our best player.

Mark Bright said "they created a lot of chances and the manager will be happy about that". Bright blamed the strikers and the defence for the defeat.

I think I'm feeling pretty confident right now that I'm not the weird person for thinking Bannan isn't actually that bad - at least he wasn't that bad last night.

Edited by Con

If he was creating goals then I think misplaced pass after misplaced pass could be forgiven but he isn't. No goals and one assist all season is shocking for a supposedly creative player

Leon Britton: no goals, no assists. Played 18 matches for Swansea, more minutes than Bannan. One of Swansea's most important players.

Also, did you watch the League Cup show? He served Benteke a hattrick on a plate, and created a couple of others for Agbonlahor and another from a corner.

As I've said before, key passes is the key stat you need to look at, not assists. Assists are just those key passes that have been scored.

If any pyjama pundit wants some cheap credibility right now - buy Bannan. As all good stock traders know, always buy at the bottom when everyone is selling and sell at the top when everyone is buying.

McLeish didn't want Bannan for Nottingham Forest because he's a Championship player. If he was a Championship player he would go to League One. McLeish wanted him because Bannan could send Forest to the Premiership.

If Bannan continues to make chances for Villa like he did on Tuesday we will look back on any thought of selling as ridiculous.