Barry Bannan

villianusa

I was with you, more or less, up until this point.

I quite like Barry. I think he's had his ups and downs but he's OK, you know. He's good enough for a lower mid table premier league side in my opinion, which is what we are aspiring to be come May.

20m though? Come on man. You're not helping yourself there. As things stand I'd take £5m for him because I think we can do with something a little different and finances are tight. Just the way it is. Westwood is equally adept at playing his role, especially if we had proper protection for him. We need a Tiote, **** big time.

Joe Allen cost £15m.

I forgot there were no buses tonight so my plans all went south......so here I am depressing myself

Don't worry about it. Judging by your signature you're what, 28? I'm sure you've been out before on New Years Eve. It's just the same as any other.

Buy yourself something nice with the money you've saved. Like a Barry Bannan t-shirt or an Andy Murray beach towel....

Don't worry about it. Judging by your signature you're what, 28? I'm sure you've been out before on New Years Eve. It's just the same as any other.

Buy yourself something nice with the money you've saved. Like a Barry Bannan t-shirt or an Andy Murray beach towel....

aye, don't really bother about new year but never nice letting friends down. Think I'll pass though, seeing as that's a jab at me being scottish I'll play along and say I don't like to part with my money at all

aye, don't really bother about new year but never nice letting friends down. Think I'll pass though, seeing as that's a jab at me being scottish I'll play along and say I don't like to part with my money at all

The missus is Scottish, I feel I've earned the right to have the odd jab. The best part about being with a bonnie wee lass is that when she's genuinely angry and she shouts, I have no **** idea what she's saying. So it's very hard to put my foot in it.

The missus is Scottish, I feel I've earned the right to have the odd jab. The best part about being with a bonnie wee lass is that when she's genuinely angry and she shouts, I have no **** idea what she's saying. So it's very hard to put my foot in it.

That's just how we talk. We're all boozed up or smacked out. Have you never seen trainspotting?

Lazy journalism reporting (the Mirror, apparently) this morning McDogshit is after Bannan as his first Forest signing. There's a number of things wrong with this.

1. Bannan is Scottish.

2. McDogshit is Scottish.

3. McDogshit used to be Bannan's manager.

4. McDogshit already has the other former Villa Scottish player in Anal Hutton.

5. Scottish manager PLUS Scottish player PLUS tenuous link via a former employer MUST mean a link.

I can do this journalism thing, me. - now make me chief sports writer of the Daily Mirror.

McLeish is trying to unsettle Bannan. It must be very tempting to jump ship to a Championship team promoted to the Prem and get Villa relegated in the process ... as that would probably happen if we sold Bannan.

The club is not going to sell Bannan any time soon though. Joe Allen sold for £15 million. He played against Bannan in the Liverpool team Bannan played well against when we won 1-3. Allen didn't look £13m pricier than Bannan, that's for sure.

No Briny that is exactly what happened.

It's not, he just needed to be starting more regularly and Stuttgart gave him that opportunity.

And as for him on a free - he's available again in about a week unless Everton extend his deal. I'd sign him.

I'd also like to go back to the Walcott comparison with Bannan from a couple of pages ago where the poster mentioned something about Theo not coming good until well into his 20s (or words to that effect). Aren't he and Bannan the same age?

I agree that it's lazy to label Bannan rubbish based on his height. That's not my issue though - if he was brilliant he could be a Pygmy for all I care.

Similarly it's lazy to compare him to Scholes, Xavi etc based on his height. He's nowhere near the level of those two and shows no signs of ever being so. Being small doesn't automatically equal crap, but it doesn't automatically equal technically gifted either. Remember Adrian Heath?

If Barry Bannan wins a UEFA Champions League winners medal (apart from in an auction) I'll eat my car.

I'd also like to go back to the Walcott comparison with Bannan from a couple of pages ago where the poster mentioned something about Theo not coming good until well into his 20s (or words to that effect). Aren't he and Bannan the same age?

They are playing different roles that require different level of experience and abilities.

If you have lots of pace you don't need to be very experienced and especially skillful to get into the starting line-up of a Premier League side. Throw them in at a young age, no problem.

I agree that it's lazy to label Bannan rubbish based on his height. That's not my issue though - if he was brilliant he could be a Pygmy for all I care.

Similarly it's lazy to compare him to Scholes, Xavi etc based on his height. He's nowhere near the level of those two and shows no signs of ever being so.

Nobody has. Don't put words into my mouth... I've only been saying he is better than.

If Barry Bannan wins a UEFA Champions League winners medal (apart from in an auction) I'll eat my car.

Do you think Agbonlahor will ever win a Champions League medal? He probably wont. Still, you presumably don't mind him being in the team.

Compare Bannan to someone ridiculously good he will look shit! But compare him to the competition in the squad he is good.

Compare Bannan to Joe Allen... he looks comparable

Joe Allen cost Liverpool £15m from Swansea. Yes, some Liverpool fans are saying after 19 games no goals or assists he's shit. No Joe Allen is not shit either. Like Bannan is not shit. Those Liverpool fans just don't understand what that kind of player does. That is all.

Allen is now playing at a bigger club with the pressures that go with that, and the team is no longer built around him. He'll settle in at Liverpool.

Edited by Con

They are playing different roles that require different level of experience and abilities.

If you have lots of pace you don't need to be very experienced and especially skillful to get into the starting line-up of a Premier League side. Throw them in at a young age, no problem.

What's that got to do with anything? My point was that you'd said Walcott kept improving well into his 20swhere in reality he and Barry are the same age(ish) and yet Walcott is a far superior footballer.

Nobody has. Don't put words into my mouth... I've only been saying he is better than.

I haven't put words into anyone's mouth. I didn't say you'd said he was at that level but you've compared him to Xavi on more than one occasion.

Bannan is the same height as Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, and Scholes and towers over Carzola and Allen by an inch.

He's not like Xavi in ability but in style of play Bannan is more like Xavi than other midfielders.

Xavi receives the ball, then passes it on, short to another player. He does this for most of the game, keeping possession of the ball with his team. Xavi doesn't dribble or do much long range shooting. Bannan plays more long balls than Xavi for tactical reasons decided by manager.

Bannan is not supposed to charge about the pitch flying into tackles, take lots of shots from long range, and arrive late in the penalty area as an extra striker scoring goals like Lampard or Gerrard. That's not how Xavi plays.

See?

Do you think Agbonlahor will ever win a Champions League medal? He probably wont. Still, you presumably don't mind him being in the team.

Now who's putting words in peoples mouths? You keep bringing up Xavi, a Champions League winner. And for the record, I'm unsure about Gabby's role in the team but right now I think he's more of a threat and more valuable than Bannan.

In fact, on the subject of putting words in people's mouths -

What amazes me about people who claim Bannan is small and use this as the starting point of their argument...

Who has done that?

However, I recognise that some supporters won't ever be satisfied until we have a First XI that could tag-team with Wolfman in WWF.

Who said that? Where?

For example, some people just don't like players below 6' playing for their team.

Again who, where and when?

Compare Bannan to someone ridiculously good he will look shit! But compare him to the competition in the squad he is good.

Excuse the analogy but that's like being crowned the tallest midget.

I'm not Bannan's agent.

At least we've cleared that up ;)

For what it's worth it appears that your argument is simply that you believe Bannan to be the best midfielder we have on our books at the moment. It's an opinion many disagree with but at least you're providing stats, albeit occasionally without real context, to try to back that up.

I think the regular mentions of global superstars and fabricated quotes about what others expect of in a midfielder, though, are muddying how your point is coming across.