Barry Bannan

villianusa

I don't believe in castrating a player just because they've made a bad mistake. (Not even if it had been Hutton.)

Agreed. That's too drastic.

Yes drink driving is an inexcusible criminal act for which there is no justification and it will be dealt with by the law of the land and the punishment will cause the lad some considerable inconvenience. I am sure that it will also breach the club's code of conduct and he will also be punished for that.

However to suggest sacking the lad is completely ridiculous and over the top and I doubt if many companies take such a stance on these matters (unless your role is completely dependant on driving). The club would be better served by insisting that the lad does the rather shocking anti drink driving course and putting him up for voluntary work helping victims of drink driving. By making him admit his mistakes and making him show others the error of his ways maybe the club can do some good with this?

not sure we have sufficient strength in depth to be able to do that

....but it would send a strong signal. "Keep your feet on the ground or you are dropped". Perhaps give Daniel Johnson a chance to shine?

I remember reading the Independent article on him earlier this month, he seemed quite down to earth. What a shame.

Anyone caught drink-driving should be banned from driving for life.

Thats bollox everyone makes mistakes

if we can get 12m for him i would drive ghim by bicycle myslef.

my view is at 21 he has just cracke dthe first team and already he is acting like a knob head. think he is over-rated personally. people comparing him to him like messi.

gimme a break!

if we can get 12m for him i would drive ghim by bicycle myslef.

my view is at 21 he has just cracke dthe first team and already he is acting like a knob head. think he is over-rated personally. people comparing him to him like messi.

gimme a break!

To be fair to him I think his self confidence can make him seem like a knobhead at times and you wouldn't really want to knock that out of him? He's done something stupid, how many of us can say hand on heart we haven't ever done stupid things ourselves? Would I sell him for 12m? Hell yeah, so long as Randy didn't pocket the money again?

Bannan's been one of our 3 best performers this year, so i'm struggling to understand most of the remarks in this thread.

If he's done something stupid, punish him accordingly and move on. The idea of sacking him is insane, and I wouldnt be banning him for any material length of time either. I'm sorry but a lot of people had negative views about Barry's ability before the start of the season and it just seems that some are grasping at the opportunity to criticise him again.

Yes, it appears that he's done something stupid, but some of the remarks in here are way over the top, and not how I'd expect the fans to react to one of their own youth players.

The DUI is a legal matter. I assume it is his first offence. Let the powers that be deal with it.

The being out on the piss until 5.30 am is a professional discipline issue and I expect the club to deal with it severely but also with sensitivity to the lad and perhaps provide him with some counselling.

On both counts he needs to do his time & pay his debts and once that's done he needs to be able to return with a clean slate and work his arse off to get back in the team.

But if he does it again, the club and the law need to throw the book at him.

On what basis?

Bannan has been our best midfielder this year, and has easily been our best youth player. He's performed well in pretty much every last game.

I struggle to accept, or even tolerate your opinions sometimes SGC.

On what basis?

Bannan has been our best midfielder this year, and has easily been our best youth player. He's performed well in pretty much every last game.

I struggle to accept, or even tolerate your opinions sometimes SGC.

i wouldn't call bannan a youth player at 21 personally, he hasn't played all that much either, it wouldn't be hard to look good in our midfield, it's amongst the worst in the league

But you must atleast accept that he's been our best performer from midfield when he has played??

Hardly an achievement is it

Our midfield has been shocking

Amongst a group of internationals and players ranging in value upwards of £8m each, I think it is an achievement.

I can't believe the justification for him not being that important to the team is "the rest of the midfield is crap, so he only looks good by default".

Unqualified negativity, we're fortunate to have a player like Barry IMO, nurtured correctly, he could be the best product to come from our academy this century.