Barry Bannan

villianusa

Why hasn't a club come in for Bannan yet? Perhaps they question his physicality for English football, in which case he would be better trying to get a loan somewhere abroad. Also, I can't imagine the stigma of the "bomb squad" helps. Other clubs must be thinking there is something wrong with him, he's a trouble-maker, something like that, when apparently it's nothing like that. 

So you think his physicality isn't suited to English football? This is a new development, I seem to recall you being highly critical of those who you claimed were only against him because of his size. Now you seem to be saying the most likely reason no club want to sign him is his size. hmmm....

I'm not sure this explains why no clubs outside of English football want him either....

As for the bomb squad excuse, that really is desperate.

• Like 1

Win % is not irrelevant, and you wouldn't be claiming it was irrelevant if he had lost every game he started. 

Win % is irrelevant, at one point after something like 20 games, Tottenham's win % with Bale was 0%. Guess what, he's about to break a world record transfer fee. Also does it take into account sub appearances? What about level of opposition or opposition red cards? or even Referee performance? So many factors determine a match's outcome, so to deduce that a player is either bad or good based on the outcome of the games he played in is ridiculous. Also look at Federico Macheda, his win % at Utd must be pretty high, doesn't mean he's a good player or important to Utd.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 1

But you are the only person who constantly quotes meaningless stats. You must know that win % is irrelevant... this is enforced by the simple fact that you were quoting how he had the best win % in the team, and then week after week it went from "the best", "one of the best" to "very good win %" and finally a "good win percentage".

The stats that are meaningful have been done to death on this thread and ones you just ignore.

Everything people have told you has come true about Bannan... not a single thing you said would come true has.

Stubbornness. Pure and simple.

Win % is not irrelevant, and you wouldn't be claiming it was irrelevant if he had lost every game he started. 

I'm not being stubborn because nothing has changed since he last played against Liverpool, which followed two good results (and performances) against Reading and QPR. We know Bannan performed well against Reading and QPR because not only we won, he kept his place against Liverpool.

Nothing has changed since then. There is no new evidence.

There is new evidence. He was awful against Croatia for Scotland. You state however, he played so well that not only was he going to keep his place in the team, he was going to play so well against England that his price was going to go from £0.5m to £3m - £5m in a single game. Strachan couldn't even bring himself to find a compliment for Bannan's performance against Croatia on the night... he had to resort to how good he looks in training! Nothing at all about the game...

Once again you were wrong, like you have with every other comment you have made about Bannan. He didn't even get a single minute of play against England and he can't even engineer a move to a team that survived relegation to League One on the final game of last season, and is now courting as much publicity in the press as he possibly can to find any club out there that will pay him 4 times more than he is actually worth (which would still be a 50% pay cut for him).

My worry is that I see Clark has crept into the avatar :P

He has already used the old "Because you hate Clark" routine, so about 4 months from now, people will actually believe this - he plants it there in posts and people use it.

It is weird.

But you are the only person who constantly quotes meaningless stats. You must know that win % is irrelevant... this is enforced by the simple fact that you were quoting how he had the best win % in the team, and then week after week it went from "the best", "one of the best" to "very good win %" and finally a "good win percentage".

The stats that are meaningful have been done to death on this thread and ones you just ignore.

Everything people have told you has come true about Bannan... not a single thing you said would come true has.

I'm not being stubborn because nothing has changed since he last played against Liverpool, which followed two good results (and performances) against Reading and QPR. We know Bannan performed well against Reading and QPR because not only we won, he kept his place against Liverpool.

I have seen so many posts from you defending bannan, while this is admirable, it's bloody stupid IMO.

The lad has scored a sum total of 1 premier league goal in 64 appearances. And that was a penalty to boot!!! I am pretty sure that you are either friends with banana (on purpose) or you are one of the best trolls on here. Because seriously, in the cold light of day you cannot possibly think that bannan is a good player.

Banana - I like that

I have seen so many posts from you defending bannan, while this is admirable, it's bloody stupid IMO.

The lad has scored a sum total of 1 premier league goal in 64 appearances. And that was a penalty to boot!!! I am pretty sure that you are either friends with banana (on purpose) or you are one of the best trolls on here. Because seriously, in the cold light of day you cannot possibly think that bannan is a good player.

Banana - Hee hee - I like that :)

The lad has scored a sum total of 1 premier league goal in 64 appearances.

And how does this copmare to Delph. Westwood, Ahmadi, Herd, Sylla ???

Well, I have long lamented delph's lack of shooting ability, I personally don't rate herd, and the other 3 have only been playing for one season. Should we compare bannan's stats to perhaps Milner? Barry? Houghton? Townsend? Draper? Merson? Stan? I mean even George boateng and Gavin McCann have better goal to apps ratios, and lets be honest, they were not playing in the 'creative midfielder role' as bannan did for us.

Just for clarity here:

Delph 0 in 61

Herd 2 in 39

Westy 0 in 31

Sylla 0 in 10

KEA 1 in 25

Who played centre mid with Westwood last year when Chel$ki whooped us 8-0. One was Herd.

Were we looking any better with Delph and KEA? Just wondering..............

Using that game as an example of how bad Bannan is is just as unfair as using win % to determine how good he is. Everyone was terrible v Chelsea last season, and our improved performance tonight has more to do with how we have improved as a team not because certain players weren't playing, you can toss in the fact we played 3-5-2 in that game too as a reason why we've improved.

Who played centre mid with Westwood last year when Chel$ki whooped us 8-0. One was Herd.

Using that game as an example of how bad Bannan is is just as unfair as using win % to determine how good he is. Everyone was terrible v Chelsea last season, and our improved performance tonight has more to do with how we have improved as a team not because certain players weren't playing, you can toss in the fact we played 3-5-2 in that game too as a reason why we've improved.

I accept that. He was in there again for Wigan at home in that run of 0 for and 15 against. Numerous issues across the team, but I don't accept he was effective at all last year even when on the pitch when we won.

My memories of Bannan will always be of the headless chicken treading water. And when he was put on the wing........ Bloody hell. What did McGash and Lambert (for too much of last year) see in him?!

We are stuck with him and Ireland to the end of their contracts.

This thread will reach 600 pages if not 800.

I accept that. He was in there again for Wigan at home in that run of 0 for and 15 against. Numerous issues across the team, but I don't accept he was effective at all last year even when on the pitch when we won.

My memories of Bannan will always be of the headless chicken treading water. And when he was put on the wing........ Bloody hell. What did McGash and Lambert (for too much of last year) see in him?!

I agree, he was extremely ineffectual last season and should be shipped out asap, but seems as if Bannan is becoming a bit of a scapegoat for things that he can't have helped anything. Not having a go or anything, it's just a general theme that appears to be developing. :)

I agree, he was extremely ineffectual last season and should be shipped out asap, but seems as if Bannan is becoming a bit of a scapegoat for things that he can't have helped anything. Not having a go or anything, it's just a general theme that appears to be developing. :)

A scapegoat?

He hasn't been good enough. Simple.

Just looking at the ridiculous arguments put forward in favour of BB. Thought I'd find a couple of cheap shots to join in the fun!

Bloody awful for us last year though!. If I ever see him collect the ball from a centre back again, I will put my mortgage on him turning clockwise (keeping the ball on his left foot with all touches) and more than likely being tackled immediately.

Edited by PaulMcgrathsknees

A scapegoat?

He hasn't been good enough. Simple.

No he hasn't been good enough, but some of the criticism seems to be getting to point of criticism for the sake of criticism. As I said in my post, he needs to be shipped out asap. And I agree with Mike, I can't wait for this thread to be locked.

Jesus, 400 pages for Barry Bannan  :blink:

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla