Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When dud he say that last comment? Was he talking about us?

He said it when he was on England duty for the Switzerland game.

Yes he was talking about us.

For some reason, he said their fans, rather than our fans.

I was sure he'd be here for another season seeing as we bought him when he was crocked. The more recent quotes are not too positive although I can't see a CL team coming in for him.

If he wants to play Champions League he should go abroad and play for Romanian team FC Oţelul Galaţi as they already are qualified for the group stages?

No I didn't think so

Your living in the past mate..

Try looking at recent history of the 2 clubs in all areas.

Villa have a better ground, better training facilities, more modern and up to date in every area, more kids coming through, better finacially, richer owner and better players running deeper..

Liverpool are a good/average side in and around 6th place, just like we are.

We finished above them last but one season ago and last season we had massive injuries and in house problems, yet still we started to get it together towards the end of the season beating them and climbing the table...

Liverpool as a global brand? You mean Asia buying their shirts? Try looking at how many City,Man U ansd Chelsea shirts are bought there last year and how fast they are growing globaly in comparison.. The world fan base changes with success..Liverpool "need" to win the league and quickly if they want to remain a big club...The pressure is far more on their shoulders than ours. We are growing very steadily and have a better infrastucture in place at this time.

Liverpool are living off their past which is slowly getting forgotten about with the emergence of the big boys.

What recent history makes us better?

Villa Park maybe more modern but Anfield has a bigger capacity...which is more important? As others have pointed out, their ground is one of the most iconic in the whole of sport.

How do you know we have better training facilities, or more to the point, who cares?

How do you know we have more kids coming through, haven’t pool got something like 8 of the England U17 squad at the World Cup atm? (Sterling looks like a potential super star) Some cracking young lads in the first team at the end of the season too I thought

Better financially? Based on? I don’t see us splashing the cash like them...

Richer owner? If you or anyone follows Baseball, their owners are fantastic at the Red Sox...

Better players? Really? How many of our players would get in their side?

Didn’t Liverpool sign the biggest £££ shirt sponsor in the world not long ago?

You go anywhere in the world and Liverpool will be amongst the top 5 clubs in world football. Thats just the way it is and we can’t compete with that. Sad but true.

It’s a little delusional to think otherwise really, we all want Downing to stay but come on! Although saying that and getting back on topic, if we were to swap Downing for N’zogbia and Foster, that would improve the team overall imo. Be the smart thing to do considering he looks as though he’s had his head turned.

Re-reading those quotes - he's just trying to get a better deal.

Now Young has gone, he knows that he is top dog (with Bent), and he wants a new wage that reflects that.

Also for Villa to spend with 'ambition' to challenge for Champions League.

It’s a little delusional to think otherwise really, we all want Downing to stay but come on! Although saying that and getting back on topic, if we were to swap Downing for N’zogbia and Foster, that would improve the team overall imo. Be the smart thing to do considering he looks as though he’s had his head turned.

100% agree.

100% agree.

I'd rather have Downing and Kusczkak(free), than N'Zogbia and Foster..

He should be signing a new deal..You cant go from loving the club one week to wanting out the next week without good reason. He was saying we have ambition and on the right road etc. We had McAllister at that time, saying we have people we want to bring in etc.. Whats happened?

"There is a plan to move forward which is already there.

"As much as it would be ideal if Gerard was here, it can be done from his home because we're down the line on a few things.

"I don't have to give anything away, but I'm talking about people that might want to come here, people we want to try and attract here, people that want to stay, people that might have to find a club.

"We know the positions where we are strong but we also know where we need to strengthen. It's ongoing and you've got to be like that, you've got to be prepared to go into the market and get these deals through."

Has this plan to move forward been scrapped?

We had McAllister at that time, saying we have people we want to bring in etc.. Whats happened?

Well, Gary McAllister left the club for starters, along with most of the management team.

100% agree.

He should be signing a new deal..You cant go from loving the club one week to wanting out the next week without good reason. He was saying we have ambition and on the right road etc. We had McAllister at that time, saying we have people we want to bring in etc.. Whats happened?

"As much as it would be ideal if Gerard was here, it can be done from his home because we're down the line on a few things.

"I don't have to give anything away, but I'm talking about people that might want to come here, people we want to try and attract here, people that want to stay, people that might have to find a club.

"We know the positions where we are strong but we also know where we need to strengthen. It's ongoing and you've got to be like that, you've got to be prepared to go into the market and get these deals through."

Starting to wish that Houllier had stayed on now. Undoubtedly warming to Mcleish and willing to give him a chance, but I genuinly think that with Houllier in charge, we'd be pushing in the right direction next year. Or to put it in another way, we'd have made some top signings by now (or be in the throws of).

100% agree.

Starting to wish that Houllier had stayed on now. Undoubtedly warming to Mcleish and willing to give him a chance, but I genuinly think that with Houllier in charge, we'd be pushing in the right direction next year. Or to put it in another way, we'd have made some top signings by now (or be in the throws of).

And Downing would be on a new contract :?

And Downing would be on a new contract

Maybe, not 100% convinced myself, I think if someone like Liverpool comes knocking, he was always going to want to leave in reality.

The difference is that we would have already known, and made enquiries into, our transfer targets, where as a few weeks down the line and we've only just appointed our manager who hasnt even had a chance to assess the squad yet.

100% agree.

And Downing would be on a new contract :?

Agree, this is one of the big things, If they had stayed I reckoned we would already have made signings, or been very close, the ship would have been settled and we would be able to look forward to the transfer window, the football style, and the season.

Â