Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see he is finally getting credit from the fans, my vote for player of the season easily

If he didn't play again this season he'd still get POTS.

that cos youngs going and downings not?

Or maybe because Downing has been far more effective this season? Just a thought.

A point Ive just raised and obviously there is more to it than this but look where we are with

Downing being effective and Young not so much (this season)

compared to

Young being effective and Downing not so much. (last season)

Point is. Stewart Downing at his very best, imo, is nowhere near good enough!!

In addition, the games Ive seen both have been on a par tbh - we just expect more from Young!!

that cos youngs going and downings not?

Or maybe because Downing has been far more effective this season? Just a thought.

A point Ive just raised and obviously there is more to it than this but look where we are with

Downing being effective and Young not so much (this season)

compared to

Young being effective and Downing not so much. (last season)

In addition, the games Ive seen both have been on a par tbh - we just expect more from Young!!

I don't remember Young being that effective last season.

Downing at his very best is wellll good enough for Villa. He may not quite hit the heights of an on-song Young (when that used to happen...), but he's still very much the calibre of player I want to see at Villa. I think the argument suffers when people devalue one player solely in an attempt to overstate the importance of another. As great as Young can be; Downing ain't that far behind him; and Downing is a lot more consistent with it.

Rubbish son.

Thats a thorough point. At what point of Stewart Downings career has he proven to be a top class player (which is what we need imo to progress)?

or, are you happy with as far as we have got? Cos, based on his entire career for club and country, we will go no further with players like Stewart downing!!!

Downing at his very best is wellll good enough for Villa. He may not quite hit the heights of an on-song Young (when that used to happen...), but he's still very much the calibre of player I want to see at Villa. I think the argument suffers when people devalue one player solely in an attempt to overstate the importance of another. As great as Young can be; Downing ain't that far behind him; and Downing is a lot more consistent with it.

I should point out that i mean - good enough to take us to the next step.

You could argue Young isnt either (and Id probably agree), but in a similar length career, hes shown more to me that he is more capable than dj

Rubbish son.

Thats a thorough point. At what point of Stewart Downings career has he proven to be a top class player (which is what we need imo to progress)?

or, are you happy with as far as we have got? Cos, based on his entire career for club and country, we will go no further with players like Stewart downing!!!

OK, he's not going to single-handedly win us titles (C.Ron), but he is easily one of the best players at the club. Him and Bent will tear shit up next season

From our point of view, taking everything into account, it would appear that Young is a little more capable and a lot less consistent. He's also only 1 year younger than DJ. I think people forget that too.

but he is easily one of the best players at the club.

But thats not what my points about. Im talking about having players good enough to compete at the top.

Chris Brunt easily one of West Broms best players. Dunt mean hes good enough to win things on a consistent basis

But thats not what my points about. Im talking about having players good enough to compete at the top.
It is my firm belief that Downing is easily good enough to compete and win things at the top.

Chris Brunt easily one of West Broms best players. Dunt mean hes good enough to win things on a consistent basis
Brunt wouldn't be one of the best players at our club so while I see the point you are trying to make, the situation is meaningless because WBA's squad is not Villa's squad and Brunt is not Downing.

Downing is good enough to compete at the top, the problem is, he isn't at the top. Going forward he is very very good, we'd be buggered this season without him. Its his tracking back and the defensive side of his game he gets criticised for and at a bigger club one suspects that this aspect of his game wouldn't get noticed so much as he'd have the players around him that could cope with that, here he doesn't have that luxury.

How is Downing not good enough? by that thought process, none of our players are good enough. His delivery into the box is top class, he's also added some goals to his game. Generally his passing is very good, keeps the ball well, has brilliant pace. I think defensively experience wise, he's good, very poor in the tackle and at times, think his mind drifts and loses concentration but as shown against Ashley Cole earlier in the season, he can be extremely effective doing his defensive duties when he needs to.

Â