Next leader of the Labour Party should be.....

chrisp65

and the next Labour leader should be......  

132 members have voted

1. 1. and the next Labour leader should be......

• Dave Miliband
    • Ed Balls
    • Ed Miliband
    • Alan Johnson
    • Dennis Skinner
    • Eddie Izzard
    • Workers co-operative along marxist leninist lines
    • Pointless box for token inclusion of celt fringes
    • None of the above
    • Ross Kemp
    • A Female
    • Dianne Abbott

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dem - when I hear "you should be grateful to have a job" I really do wonder what this country has become.

exactly why has it become like this?

Strikes have to go through a fairly long winded process before they ever take place, too long - but that is another debate.

i agree with that but a majority of themn do more harm than good

As for "they" holding the country to ransom, they are doing no such thing. The fact that this economic mess was caused by the banking sector, a message being said by millions around the world today, shows who exactly are holding the country to ransom. Workers rights are something worth fighting for

not just the banking sector, the labour party also caused this mess we are in.

not just the banking sector, the labour party also caused this mess we are in.

And I suppose the masses who were protesting all over Europe (and other parts of the world) were doing so against Labour?

I suppose the fact that the Irish economy is screwed and is being screwed more by their Gvmt is the fault of Labour?

Japan's economic measures are as a result of Labour?

Greece, Labour I suppose?

etc etc etc

exactly why has it become like this?

People should not be "grateful" for having a job in the sense that you are making out. They should have rights and laws that protect them. No employer should be allowed to rule by fear. The need for Unions is stronger today than it has been at any time over the past 15 years.

i agree with that but a majority of themn do more harm than good

No they don't. Sorry but that is just nonsense.

I see the Daily Mail is now giving Ed a hard time for saying he's atheist.

"Save us from the godless communist!. Won't someone think of the children!!"

Yup sometimes they are below gutter press

Headline = Red Ed: I don't do God, I don't even believe in Him (but I WILL get married and I'm embarrassed my name isn't on child's birth certificate)

Sometimes you have to wonder what the hell is happening

The Mail really is a **** rag, second only to the Mirror in being dismal.

That whole article plus the tutting from their scumbag readers in the comments below makes we want to puke. Doesn't believe in god - surely a leader in full control of his mental faculties is a good thing?

And I suppose the masses who were protesting all over Europe (and other parts of the world) were doing so against Labour?

well Japan's economy faltered mainly due to to falling exports to the west

your argument that it was "only" the banking sector was flawed and I was just pointing this out ... I didn't blame labour solely , I just asked if the last government played any part in it .. which they did

well Japan's economy faltered mainly due to to falling exports to the west

your argument that it was "only" the banking sector was flawed and I was just pointing this out ... I didn't blame labour solely , I just asked if the last government played any part in it .. which they did

Indeed. Gordon Brown's establishing of the utterly inept FSA was a big contributing factor.

The panel bit of the Heil article is OK and a lot of the comments re the God part are quite re-assuring.

The rest of it - the actual article and some of the other comments are unhinged.

Ed Miliband said yesterday that his 'faith' was founded on family, friendship and opportunity and seeking to improve society. which seems fine to me. But comment from heil reader - "What an arrogant ass. He's so full of himself that he clearly feels he doesn't need any morals or sense of responsibility. What a great example he's showing to the country.

This appears a clear reflection of his father's Marxist ideals. Karl Marx famously said religion was the 'opium of the people'. The German philosopher was an atheist and saw religion as an illusion that was used to uphold the social status quo. He felt it was a crutch for the poor that did nothing to address their real, social and economic problems.

His famous quote in full actually reads: 'Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

'The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.' Excellent, plus points for Mr Ed there. But the some heil readers think different - I believe in God, and I never want to be led by an atheist!! & If a leader can't be true to the commandments, which are in the Bible, what can he be true too? etc.

Have to say I saw the David Milliband interview with Adam Boulton last night and he came across very well, very cultured. Obviously has issues with his brother over policy and obviously would have taken his party in another direction.

I happen to think that he had the ability to win over a lot of the floating voter (which is where an election is actually won / lost) where as Red Ed has the ability to actually marginalise his party on the fringes

The panel bit of the Heil article is OK and a lot of the comments re the God part are quite re-assuring.

The rest of it - the actual article and some of the other comments are unhinged.

Ed Miliband said yesterday that his 'faith' was founded on family, friendship and opportunity and seeking to improve society. which seems fine to me. But comment from heil reader - "What an arrogant ass. He's so full of himself that he clearly feels he doesn't need any morals or sense of responsibility. What a great example he's showing to the country.

This appears a clear reflection of his father's Marxist ideals. Karl Marx famously said religion was the 'opium of the people'. The German philosopher was an atheist and saw religion as an illusion that was used to uphold the social status quo. He felt it was a crutch for the poor that did nothing to address their real, social and economic problems.

His famous quote in full actually reads: 'Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

'The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.' Excellent, plus points for Mr Ed there. But the some heil readers think different - I believe in God, and I never want to be led by an atheist!! & If a leader can't be true to the commandments, which are in the Bible, what can he be true too? etc.

Good summing up Pete, but the worrying thing is that unlike VT on certain times, those people are not posting for effect, they are genuine with their views.

I think David Milliband is obviously the "better" politician in terms of image and public speaking etc, but in terms of the Labour party he's very much along the same lines of Bliar, so maybe somebody a bit different will suit them better in the long run, especially if the coalition finds it tough going.

I think that's right, Risso. But maybe the trend towards having to have a "polished" media trained Blair/Cameron/Clegg/Milliband (D) type of figure will pass, and leaders can go back to being who they really are, rather than identikit ersatz automatons, with just a slight hint of personality.

but in terms of the Labour party he's very much along the same lines of Bliar

Interestingly despite the apparent recent need to denounce Blair and Nu Labour , the actual party members and MP's voted for the man most like him

maybe the Unions have down the party a favour ... or maybe not , guess time will tell

Have to say I saw the David Milliband interview with Adam Boulton last night and he came across very well, very cultured. Obviously has issues with his brother over policy and obviously would have taken his party in another direction.

I happen to think that he had the ability to win over a lot of the floating voter (which is where an election is actually won / lost) where as Red Ed has the ability to actually marginalise his party on the fringes

I think Red Ed is perhaps more in tune with the traditional Labour hardcore than his Bro. Taking his party with him will not be a problem IMO.

Winning the centre ground will be the bigger problem, as you suggest. Winning over middle england.

I think that's right, Risso. But maybe the trend towards having to have a "polished" media trained Blair/Cameron/Clegg/Milliband (D) type of figure will pass, and leaders can go back to being who they really are, rather than identikit ersatz automatons, with just a slight hint of personality.

Pop Idol Politics Pete.

I think David Milliband is obviously the "better" politician in terms of image and public speaking etc, but in terms of the Labour party he's very much along the same lines of Bliar, so maybe somebody a bit different will suit them better in the long run, especially if the coalition finds it tough going.
Who is the person who made them electable in the first place

Vote Labour to get Blair was basically the message.

but in terms of the Labour party he's very much along the same lines of Bliar

Interestingly despite the apparent recent need to denounce Blair and Nu Labour , the actual party members and MP's voted for the man most like him

Yes, I was marginally suprised by that. I guess they went for the guy most likely in their view to win an election?

I can see why MP's would have gone for him, but maybe not party members TBH.