Next leader of the Labour Party should be.....

chrisp65

and the next Labour leader should be......  

132 members have voted

1. 1. and the next Labour leader should be......

• Dave Miliband
    • Ed Balls
    • Ed Miliband
    • Alan Johnson
    • Dennis Skinner
    • Eddie Izzard
    • Workers co-operative along marxist leninist lines
    • Pointless box for token inclusion of celt fringes
    • None of the above
    • Ross Kemp
    • A Female
    • Dianne Abbott

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Telegraph is a very right wing media outlet. Philip Cowley is reader in parliamentary government at the University of Nottingham and runs revolts.co.uk, is not a "leftie" - do a quick bit of research on him mate he's actually quite an interesting bloke and his website is a good read. The fact that the Telegraph was happy to run with his story shows a bit more of the reality than claiming that the Tory party in somehow scored a massive / big / call it what you want victory in the last election

i thought its the torygraph :wink:

Has David Miliband married a pensioner?

you know i was wondering this. i saw him in the paper standing next to him and i thought it was his mother was stunned to hear it was his wife

stupidity over the Forgemasters cancellation

ahh got you , so any policy you don't agree with = inept

to me running up the largest debt in history , not making provisions during the boom times = inept

but cancelling the Forgemaster deal was the correct decision as I think was pretty much agreed by almost all apart from , well the obvious

Pakistan was no gaffe ,it's not like he called them Bigots ..merely terrorists ...simply stating commonly-known facts in plain English in response to a question at a press conference does not strike me as a gaffe

changes to the constitution = inept !! .. how how does that make you inept ? Cameron suggested fixed term parliaments before the election back in 2009 and it was part of the constitutional reforms drawn up by Jack Straw and Harriet Harman i.e the cross party committee agreed these changes

which pledges have they abandoned out of interest ..was it the manifesto pledge to hold a referendum on the Euro treaty ..oops

which pledges have they abandoned out of interest ..was it the manifesto pledge to hold a referendum on the Euro treaty ..oops

No university tuition fees? Oh no, that was the other lot as well wasn't it.

I think David Milliband is obviously the "better" politician in terms of image and public speaking etc, but in terms of the Labour party he's very much along the same lines of Bliar, so maybe somebody a bit different will suit them better in the long run, especially if the coalition finds it tough going.
Who is the person who made them electable in the first place
Not one person, but a combination of two or three. Namely Major, Lamont and Cameron (for his help on black wednesday.

Though how easy was it to make those 'provisions' (by which I understand you to mean run a surplus)?

well at the time when he sold the 3G licenses for £22.5 BN he had surplus that was rumoured to allow him to give a £20k tax refund to every tax payer in the country

interestingly when i was trying to find a story about this I found this piece in a comment page on the BBC from 2004 .. take a bow Paul Beckett whoever you are

On the surface Brown appears to be a good chancellor. However, too much is based on borrowing, so the question of his performance may be more pertinent in a few years when the long-term effects become apparent.

Paul Beckett, London, UK

No university tuition fees? Oh no, that was the other lot as well wasn't it.

:-) - Oh dear we are clutching at straws now. Do you really want a list of broken pledges from the manifesto?

Tony: Forgemaster's who exactly has said it was a goo idea to cancel? Ah the Tory party, Clegg and the Tory businessman from Sheffield who contributed funds to the Tory party. Now excuse me but that is not everybody and when you see Cameron and Clegg calling for investment in private enterprise you have to wonder who exactly is pulling the strings on this inept Gvmt

But you seem to so pre-occupied with Labour at the moment but unwilling to comment or defend the Tory led Gvmt. I wonder why that is?

Though how easy was it to make those 'provisions' (by which I understand you to mean run a surplus)?

well at the time when he sold the 3G licenses for £22.5 BN he had surplus that was rumoured to allow him to give a £20k tax refund to every tax payer in the country

Is that a yes, then? You do seem not to be giving clear answers, I fear you've been listening to too much radio 5 on your journeys. :P

A £20k 'refund' to every taxpayer? By that you mean income taxpayer, do you? So that would put it at about a surplus of something like £500,000 million, wouldn't it? About half GDP in 2000 (was it around then for the 3g licences?).

But you seem to so pre-occupied with Labour at the moment but unwilling to comment or defend the Tory led Gvmt. I wonder why that is?

Ian, do you not accept that some one could say of you "you seem to so pre-occupied with Conservatives at the moment but unwilling to comment or defend the last Labour led Gvmt. I wonder why that is?"

It is a bit rich to say that to someone when you are demonstrating it yourself ?

Dont worry by the way I do not expect you to answer, you do not respond to my posts unless it is making a sly dig later on in terms of "Oh look here are the ultra right wing Tory boys again".

I think it's probably to do with the fact that they haven't really dropped any clangers yet that are remotely comparable to the Gordon Brown years, which let's face it, was a litany of cock up after cock up.

As it's now decided who is the next one, and the conversation has moved on to other matters, this topic is 'ereby locked. Feel free to start a new thread on why they're all as bad as each other, or whatever