The New Condem Government

bickster

See the issue about consultation on the savings to be made is key for me.

People call for a new politics, for no punch and judy for working together to resolve the difficulties of the nation (whatever happened to the anti conservative alliance again) and then when the government do just that and ask the public their opinion they are damned.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Asking the people is a good idea - better than leaving it to the beancounters :nod:

Global banking crisis plus incompetent, bumbling fool completely out of his depth = trillion squid worth of debt and the worst economic crisis in Europe.
Ahh but Risso what would you know, you're just a bean counter afterall

Global banking crisis plus incompetent, bumbling fool completely out of his depth = trillion squid worth of debt and the worst economic crisis in Europe.
Wrong on a few points there Martin.

Worst in Europe?

Out of his depth? Times story where Borwn praised by IMF? - and you are happy with Gideon?

It would seem that the Daily Mail sells well in the IOM

IMF Backs Brown On Fiscal Stimulus

So it seems that he was not "out of his depth"?

How will they ask the public? How will this work? I'm intrigued by this scheme, I want to know how I can be part of it.

Maybe they will invest some money in asking them? - Oh hang on we don't do that. Hmm maybe they can ask some friends from the City? - Or maybe some of the cost-cutters can advise? Or maybe they can send out spam emails or maybe ............................ they just are using it for another **** headline policy that means **** all.

Bottom line is that Gideon and Cameron have committed to go against the advice of many and are now on this massive gamble that could easily take the UK back into a massive recession. They are now trying to get as many people on board so that when it goes tits up they can pass the buck

Our problems pale into insignificance compared to Greece. To say otherwise is simply not true. Indeed Spain and Hungary are now being talked of as the next crisis nations. Labour handled the economy better than most, avoiding the catastrophe that the boy Osborne seems set on initiating. The Tories have but one answer to economic difficulties, its the tactic they have always resorted to, slash and burn and let unemployment rip. Brown presided over the longest sustained period of economic growth in this country in history. Our economy like so many others was undermined by a bunch of greedy bankers from the private financial sector. Brown was able to weather the storm, now the Tories are in , get ready for a hurricane.

Mob mentality rules it would seem
So is everyone that disagrees with your stance part of a mob? Just trying to understand the rules here as you seem to try and group people together in some sort of negative grouping (mafia, mob etc etc etc etc) when they do not shre your stance.

Frankly I think it's unhelpful and petty but if you have to keep doing it at least do us the service of being clear on what it is we have to do to enter the mob

Some interesting points in that IMF story there (incidentally over 12 months old so things have moved on a bit but still) such as

"But it gave warning that a recovery was being hampered by high household debt, while urging the Government to move faster to cut its debt."

and

". It also called for the Chancellor to set out more aggressive action to bolster the Government’s finances"

and "The success of the current policy package hinges on the continued trust in the sustainability of the fiscal position,"

So some good news for Gordon from over 12 months ago but tinged with these warnings that were never adhered to

And in that Skynews one from November, this quote "Mr Strauss Khan also said Britain's economic recovery was likely to be "somewhat subdued"."

Important points there from both articles that should not be overlooked

Brown presided over the longest sustained period of economic growth in this country in history

and the biggest deficit in peacetime history

Personally I think it is disgraceful that we will be spending more on interest payments than on the budget for Education, climate change and transport put together. The longer we go on without trying to pay the debt back the worse the position becomes.

To me when you are in a hole you stop digging. Liebours answer seems to be get a bigger shovel.

To me when you are in a hole you stop digging. Liebours answer seems to be get a bigger shovel.
How does this fit with the tories policies to expand the privatisation of the education system (has consistently cost money over the past few years) and the decision to continue pouring money into the national database for the (to be) privatised health services. Why is the big white elephant still being fed?

Both these introduce unnecessary costs in the short term (next 5 years).

A typical contradiction there AWOL. So on one hand Europe (and the world) has problems and then in the same sentence the problems are due to Brown. The ConDem's have seemingly no idea how to react. How Ironic

If five cars, independently of each other, drive off a cliff that doesn't mean there's collective responsibility. It means that there were five drivers stupid enough to drive off a cliff.

How does this fit with the tories policies to expand the privatisation of the education system (has consistently cost money over the past few years) and the decision to continue pouring money into the national database for the (to be) privatised health services. Why is the big white elephant still being fed?

Both these introduce unnecessary costs in the short term (next 5 years).

Well first off I don't actually speak for the government so not sure how or why my bit above fits in with or should fit in with policy.

In addition I would add that my post was mainly in reference to not expanding the debt that country has, not in relation to how the government should redirect resources or spend what money it does have.

However on that I think in the current climate it is entirely correct for the givernment to look to more creative and imaginative ways of delivering services and that should that mean reinvesting the savings the departments you have mentioned make back into service delivery or service improvements that that is perfectly right and proper.

Finally I would just add that the departments of Health and Education, for me at least, would be a priority for spending and so I am surprised that someone might think that spending in those depts should be reduced.

Wrong on a few points there Martin.

Worst in Europe?

Out of his depth? Times story where Borwn praised by IMF? - and you are happy with Gideon?

It would seem that the Daily Mail sells well in the IOM

So it seems that he was not "out of his depth"?

Looks like the IMF were wrong a year ago then, as things have got progressively worse, and we're now in for a double dip recession. As for Gideon, I don't personally like him, but he hasn't been in the job long enough yet to judge him. If he turns out to be as hopelessly inept as Brown, I'll criticise him.

As for the Daily Mail comment, was that really necessary Ian? I didn't post anything personal about you, so it'd be nice to be shown the same courtesy.

With the government looking for cost saving ideas from the public, I think I’ve got half an idea to get the ball rolling. It’s not a massive sum of money, but every little helps.

We currently have 650 MP’s with constituencies that vary between 50,000 voters and 80,000 voters. With a little planning the number of voters could be smoothed out, currently some constituencies are 50% larger than others so surely either their MP’s can’t cope or the one’s with lower numbers are under employed.

With less constituencies we can reduce the number of MP’s. Not some great revolutionary cull, just a shaving to make a saving. Not even 10%, just a 7.5% reduction. 50 MP’s in round numbers taking us from 650 to a nice round figure of 600. I’m quietly confident my quality of life wouldn’t noticeably deteriorate due to the Commons dropping from 650 to 600 MP’s.

The result? Well a bog basic MP earns £65,738 with staff allowances (up to £103,800), admin expenses (up to £23,000), communication expenses (up to £10,400) plus a whole raft of other expenses a cannon fodder back bencher can easily cost us £200,000 a year without having to flip, dip or take the piss in any way. 50 MP’s at £200k each is £10,000,000 a year. Over a single parliament that’s a saving of 40 or 50 million quid.

More than the relatively modest saving of tens of millions, it would show that the MP’s are sharing our pain.

Finally I would just add that the departments of Health and Education, for me at least, would be a priority for spending and so I am surprised that someone might think that spending in those depts should be reduced.
I would think that any wasteful spending in any dept should be cut. Not to do so would be
expanding the debt that country has

How can spending and debt reduction not be related?

New plans today to stop house building on every piece of garden in the country

another Labour folly killed off

I'm liking this common sense approach to government very much ..

we can reduce the number of MP’s

Wasn't that in the Tory Manifesto ?

of course whether the Tory manifesto becomes like the Liebour one and is just a tree that died in vain , remains to be seen

Â