The New Condem Government

bickster

If they were hungry and just wanted what you had thrown out, would you feel any compassion towards their plight? Or would you jus want them off your property and arrested?

If I was the manager of a supermarket or restaurant, I'd do what I could to ensure that surplus food was distributed to deserving causes as much as possible. If I found somebody going through my bins at my home, it'd be hard to know what their intentions were, so would make sure they desisted by whatever means possible. Different scenarios entirely.

Ok, agreed, but it was your hypothetical not mine. As for being the manager of a store, I'd do that too.

Iceland say they didn't call the police and don't seek prosecution.

And clearly they don't want the food which was so thoughtfully returned to them by the police.

Which leaves it unclear who the victim is thought to be, what public interest could possibly be served by taking up police time and court time with this utter nonsense, and who exactly is pressing for this prosecution and what their agenda is.

And clearly they don't want the food which was so thoughtfully returned to them by the police.

Which leaves it unclear who the victim is thought to be, what public interest could possibly be served by taking up police time and court time with this utter nonsense, and who exactly is pressing for this prosecution and what their agenda is.

[leftie] There is no credible arguement that would lead anyone to the conclusion that a prosecution in this case in in the Public Interest. [/leftie]

Even if they were selling it on, it would surely be a Trading Standards matter  and not one for the Police AFAIK.

If I found somebody going through my bins at my home, it'd be hard to know what their intentions were

On the balance of probabilities, I'd say it would be someone on work experience with News International.

I was going to say something about it being a Mirror Group reporter and therefore me being perfectly entitled to shove a Global carving knife between their shoulder blades.

If I found somebody going through my bins at my home, it'd be hard to know what their intentions were

On the balance of probabilities, I'd say it would be someone on work experience with News International.

I was going to say something about it being a Mirror Group reporter and therefore me being perfectly entitled to shove a Global carving knife between their shoulder blades.

You'd probably break the knife.  You don't know your own strength...

Hmm, my apologies to Iceland then it seems it was nothing to do with them being arses. Story gets stranger with this statement.

We can't escape the fact that we're discussing men arrested for taking food out of a bin, not the best advert for capitalist UK in 2014.

How desperate would you have to be to steal food from Iceland?  I'd go prospecting in London sewers before I ate anything from there, even if wasn't out of date.

makes you wonder now what is going on. I can understand the police action, if it happened right next to the station, they have to do something, but when it gets to the CPS, well god knows

Yes, if the police get a call that people are climbing over a fence into Iceland premises, they should respond and pick them up for questioning.  It's after that point that it gets silly. 

Perhaps it will become a case study for trainee cops and CPS staff, on the lines of "How to make yourself look an utter arse and bring the service into even further disrepute".

Looks like common sense has prevailed, and the case is dropped:

http://www.channel4.com/news/iceland-food-theft-cps-wastage-retailers

"The three men live in a squat in Kentish Town, and had reportedly been charged under the 1824 Vagrancy Act"

so apologies to Iceland, but even more embarrassment for the cps that this case even got seriously considered as suitable for prosecution, minor criticism for the police if they didn't ask Iceland their views on the supposed crime before handing the matter over to the CPS, or ignoring it if they did. Nice that the cps have seen sense, wonder if they would have without the public outcry and media coverage, if not then they deserve more criticism for making the right choice eventually but only due to public pressure and intervention from Iceland

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

Not one for daily mail readers or those who believe the myths of wealthy benefit claimants living it up in luxury at the taxpayers expense.

http://euwelfarestates.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/world-ranking-in-unemployment-benefit.html

oh and on the same subject

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/29/uk-benefits-inadequate-council-of-europe

Not one for daily mail readers or those who believe the myths of wealthy benefit claimants living it up in luxury at the taxpayers expense.

http://euwelfarestates.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/world-ranking-in-unemployment-benefit.html

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/29/uk-benefits-inadequate-council-of-europe

I see we're below Bulgaria and Romania on that scale.  Perhaps that's why they're not doing cross-Channel swims, hiring helicopters, hijacking jets and firing themselves from human cannons to get here.

Oh dear, we're also lower than Algeria, Ukraine, Tunisia, Azerbaijan, Egypt, Venezuela, Belarus, Kyrgzystan, Latvia, Uzbekhistan, Poland, and Albania.  Oh, and lots of other countries as well.

• Like 3

These two sets of stats prove just what a mess the UK's welfare system is and what a schizoid nation we are.

The first proves that the system fails by Tory standards - in other words those who pay the most in get screwed the most.

This shows that the system fails to fulfil the Tory criterion of fairness - you get out what you put in.

The second stat shows that the system fails to fulfil Labour's criterion of a fair society or the concept of 'social security' because unemployment plunges everyone into poverty.

It shows how this country lives in a sort of Never Never Never Land, where we refuse to grow up, pick our national aspirations and stick with them.

Unlikely. They all seem to use some professional who goes through people’s bins, I ve forgotten his name, but Private Eye used to feature him on a regular basis

Â