Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

ANy one take Gabbidon as a back up defender?

Yes, if we were a team really struggling for defenders.

Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Davies, Clark.

I think thats enough is it not?

If l Young leaves Cuellar is our RB.

Davies (if rumours are correct) wants out.

Which leaves Dunne, Colins and the untried Clark.

We may very well need defensive cover.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fletcher

Richards

Ireland

Noble

Cattemole

All young, show promise, have a bit about them, and can do well. Im not saying bring them all into the 1st XI, bleed them in, and they will do well.

I'd add O'Hara and Kevin Prince Boateng to that list.

If we are going to lose a few squad players this summer, it's better that we replace them with better squad players.

Both good players yes. I like the way O'Hara has come out and said, he'll stay at Spurs if he is giving a chance. The lad wants to play football, he obviously loves the game, and the fame and money that comes with it, is a bonus, not the other way around like some players.

A few names i forgot was

N'Zogbia

Foster (I know he had virtually signed for Blues but he shows signs of being an excellent prospect, not as much as Hart, and yes he makes mistakes, but still very good)

I hate the fact that people would start to bring up players like Fuller. In Jan, players like Kevin Davies and James Beattie were mentioned.

FFS were are trying to get into the CL, players like the above are not scoring week in week out against PL teams, so how are they going to improve us? One man that has scored well in a poor side, in his 1st season in the PL, and is young enough to grow, is Stephen Fletcher. He won't be top quality tomorrow, but a couple of years and he will be a top PL striker. I understand we have Heskey who is a donkey, thats why he needs to go and we need to replace with a striker that will make a statement of intention. Look how City got publicised at the start of the season after they made all the statements they did, yes, i know they are only as good as us at the moment, but, with their squad the way it is, it is only a matter of time a gap appears between us and them.

We need to bring in players that are going to be good enough for us to keep next season if we make the jump in to the CL, and not be in the same situation as we are in this season, where we have players that are good, and will prove they are capable of playing PL, but are just got good enough to play where we need to be playing, in the CL.

Fletcher

Richards

Ireland

Noble

Cattemole

All young, show promise, have a bit about them, and can do well. Im not saying bring them all into the 1st XI, bleed them in, and they will do well.

Perhaps if you want to sign all young players for the future then Arsenal are the ready made team for you.

Ideally Bent,Defore etc would be great but theyre not available unless you break the structure of the club so someone like Davies or Fuller who are better than Heskey and possibly the others too are the way to go until the forwards who would really improve us become available.

Cattermole is mega shite, apart from getting booked in 5 minutes i dont see what he does.

ANy one take Gabbidon as a back up defender?

Yes, if we were a team really struggling for defenders.

Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Davies, Clark.

I think thats enough is it not?

If l Young leaves Cuellar is our RB.

Davies (if rumours are correct) wants out.

Which leaves Dunne, Colins and the untried Clark.

We may very well need defensive cover.

If L Young leaves, we should get Nathaniel Clyne

If Davies leaves, we should get Richards or Onouha

That would leave Dunne, Collins, Onouha, Clark as CB and Cuellar as well.

I just can't understand why we would want a player that is 30 sitting in the bench, when we could have a prospect, or someone for the future, that will feature the season after this, as apposed to being in the same situation as this season where we have to replace players!

Fletcher - Just under 1 in 3 for Burnley in all comps.. takes more chances to score on average than, say Carew for example - (0.11 shots/goals ratio) Very average.

Richards - Never a technically gifted footballer and lost a lot of speed when he bulked up too much. He doesn't have the brain or composure to cut it for us. Would offer us nothing.

Ireland - Questionable attitude, inconsistent but can thread a pass. He could do a job but there is an equal or greater chance he'd just cock about.

Noble - Could do a job but nothing particularly special.

Cattermole - Gavin McCann Mk.II. A guaranteed booking and not great technically.

These kind of players along with mentions of people like Roque "One good season" Santa Cruz are not going to boost the side and would be a waste of time, IMO.

V111A - you have something against signing youth?

What's wrong with replacing ageing squad players (Bouma/ Shorey/ Sidwell/ Harewood etc) with younger, possibly cheaper, versions that are as good (if not better)?

Sidwell for Boateng/ O'Hara

Harewood for Fletcher

Shorey/Bouma for Richards/ Onouha

(all rough examples - obviously..)

Perhaps if you want to sign all young players for the future then Arsenal are the ready made team for you.

Ideally Bent,Defore etc would be great but theyre not available unless you break the structure of the club so someone like Davies or Fuller who are better than Heskey and possibly the others too are the way to go until the forwards who would really improve us become available.

Cattermole is mega shite, apart from getting booked in 5 minutes i dont see what he does.

Ready made team for me?

Yes, Bent and Defoe are not going to be at Villa next season, for different reasons, cost and location stands out as obvious reasons.

So your point is replace Heskey with Fuller, who, yes, is better, but will last a season or two and then we have to look for a slightly better player than Fuller to replace him?

Im not saying we need a team full of youth, we have Friedel, Dunner, L Young, Petrov, Carew who have been around for a number of years at good clubs.

I'm just not the type of person that wants us to buy a player for 2 seasons, for us to replace them because they are getting on.

Why would you not take Fletcher but take Fuller? Thats a genuine question as i would like to know your answer

The only thing our forward line really lacks is a top poacher or prolific striker. We have all the other bases covered, pace, power, youth, potential etc. So I wouldn't want Fletcher or Fuller because we need a better striker than we have, not players akin to our worst who would hardly play. A waste of time and money.

Fletcher - Just under 1 in 3 for Burnley in all comps.. takes more chances to score on average than, say Carew for example - (0.11 shots/goals ratio) Very average.

Richards - Never a technically gifted footballer and lost a lot of speed when he bulked up too much. He doesn't have the brain or composure to cut it for us. Would offer us nothing.

Ireland - Questionable attitude, inconsistent but can thread a pass. He could do a job but there is an equal or greater chance he'd just cock about.

Cattermole - Gavin McCann Mk.II. A guaranteed booking and not great technically.

These kind of players along with mentions of people like Roque "One good season" Santa Cruz are not going to boost the side and would be a waste of time, IMO.

This for me. Out of those mentioned only Ireland I would want and, has been mentioned, his attitude is questionable.

Fletcher - at a very poor side in Burnley. Never mentioned he was the same quality as Carew. If you want to start using starts like goals per shoot, Bent is better than Rooney the season just gone in those stats! Fletcher is young, would thrive off deliveries from Young, Downing, Milner

Richards - Yes, he may have lost some pace, but just because he loses some pace doesn't make him slow. He is still quick. He hasn't got a footballing brain playing at RB because that is not his strongest position. Play him along side a Dunne Collins, and he will have the confidence to perform.

Ireland - Gained a big head when he was performing. He is confident, thats his personality, if he is cocky, and performing, i don't care, look at A Young, same type of thing. I just don't like cocky players that are performing bad. He 23, playing in a side like Villa will improve him as a player, and may even ground him a bit

Noble - Sidwell or Noble? I think ill take Noble please. I remember he was likened to a young Parker when he 1st burst on to the pitch. I know players can have a reputation and then flutter (Moore brothers), but he's far from average.

Cattermole - Similar to NRC, holds, tackles, plays within himself by not playing the Alonso ball.

The only person there that offers something that we don't already have is Ireland and he does it irregularly.

What we need is not so much a prolific goal scorer but rather someone who can link the gap between midfield in attack in the middle of the pitch, dribble, has good control, play clever passes and make good runs and support the other striker. For me, Tuncay would be available and would thrive in our system doing just that.

The only person there that offers something that we don't already have is Ireland and he does it irregularly.

What we need is not so much a prolific goal scorer but rather someone who can link the gap between midfield in attack in the middle of the pitch, dribble, has good control, play clever passes and make good runs and support the other striker. For me, Tuncay would be available and would thrive in our system doing just that.

That would mean playing more of a 5 man midfield? If so, Haven't we already got a play that can do that in Milner?

gabby is poor at making runs, if we go for a deep lying forward (like tuncay) we will struggle to improve on this seasons tally imo, unless we get an out and out centre forward who makes more intelligent runs

VillanAngel said:

Diego Forlan anyone? Linked with him before. Class act who has improved massively in Spain and is a natural goalscorer. Would he be interested in coming? I think yes as I am sure he wants another crack at England

I heard Ray Houghton talking about him recently. He said Forlan found our football too fast to cope with and was now playing in a league that suited him where ours had not. He is a consistent goal scorer but Ray said having not done it at Old Trafford he could not see him doing it somewhere else now and I suspect he may be right.

V111A - you have something against signing youth?

What's wrong with replacing ageing squad players (Bouma/ Shorey/ Sidwell/ Harewood etc) with younger, possibly cheaper, versions that are as good (if not better)?

Sidwell for Boateng/ O'Hara

Harewood for Fletcher

Shorey/Bouma for Richards/ Onouha

(all rough examples - obviously..)

Youth is good in moderation - we have gabby and fonz up front so experience is essential.

Also the youth has to be impressive and Cattermole aint better than what we already have sitting on the bench

VillanAngel said:

Diego Forlan anyone? Linked with him before. Class act who has improved massively in Spain and is a natural goalscorer. Would he be interested in coming? I think yes as I am sure he wants another crack at England

I heard Ray Houghton talking about him recently. He said Forlan found our football too fast to cope with and was now playing in a league that suited him where ours had not. He is a consistent goal scorer but Ray said having not done it at Old Trafford he could not see him doing it somewhere else now and I suspect he may be right.

I heard that too, but i laughed because Forlan was playing 2nd fiddle to Ruud Van Nistelrooy who scored loads of goals hence why he couldn't get into the side, nothing to do with the pace of the game in my opinion. Forlan is a class act and i think he could score in our league quite easilu

He may not be as good as Sidwell at the moment, but i can see Cattermole being a better player in 5 years (which would make him the same age as Sidwell is now). Thats the advantage of youth. The disadvantage is have=ing the experience yes, but with players like Petrov, Carew, Dunne, Friedel all add that wise head to nurture the youth.