Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

So Sturridge has a bad attitude and yet one of the top 3 managers in the world, possibly ever, has chosen to blood him in every game, Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup (including the final)

Nah mate, I think I'll stick to Ancelotti's view of him thanks :D

Oh, and by the way, if you say, well why would he sell him then , I have already answered it - I don't think Ancelotti wants to - but Abramovic wants Torres.

And if you have Torres , Anelka and Drogba (as well as Kalou) then a young Daniel Sturridge may be available.

Even if it is on loan !

I agree completely, we should've got him 1st time around and given 50k per week but as usual we were too slow in the transfer market

Why would we give a 19 or 20 year old 50k? Ridiculous wage demands.

you have to pay top dollar to the best young talent

Yes, the best young talent that have actually proven themselves.

Anyway most of the suggestions in this thread seem to be influenced by past transfer deals, all very realistic and a bit uninspiring. We need something different and MON has mentioned it I beleive.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Sturridge has a bad attitude and yet one of the top 3 managers in the world, possibly ever, has chosen to blood him in every game, Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup (including the final)

Oh, and by the way, if you say, well why would he sell him then , I have already answered it - I don't think Ancelotti wants to - but Abramovic wants Torres.

And if you have Torres , Anelka and Drogba (as well as Kalou) then a young Daniel Sturridge may be available.

Even if it is on loan !

I agree completely, we should've got him 1st time around and given 50k per week but as usual we were too slow in the transfer market

Anyway most of the suggestions in this thread seem to be influenced by past transfer deals, all very realistic and a bit uninspiring. We need something different and MON has mentioned it I beleive.

he would have if he had stayed fit, he showed fantastic potential at Man City at times and we should've gone for him....end of

I'd hazard a guess that the majority of our 1st XI is on circa 50 k

How much do you think Delph is on?

around 25k but is he in the 1st XI??

No, I'm referring to you saying we should have offered Sturridge 50k which is unrealistic, 25k is a more realistic wage.

was in our first XI for the first game of the season though :winkold: (and a regular on the bench until his injury)

No, I'm referring to you saying we should have offered Sturridge 50k which is unrealistic, 25k is a more realistic wage.

players dictate wages these days, we should be prepared to push the boat out for certain players

Even if it is on loan !

he would have if he had stayed fit, he showed fantastic potential at Man City at times and we should've gone for him....end of

We did but I remember hearing on that forum thing that O'Neill didn't like the fact he went from Man City to Chelsea because after he said he wanted to get more chance in the first team. O'Neill basically hinted he left for the money. We can't compete with Chelsea for wages. Is that meant to be a shock?

players dictate wages these days, we should be prepared to push the boat out for certain players

Not for ones arrogant enough to demand 75k a week based on their own high opinion of themselves.

Not exactly.

If a player wants 50k and financially we can only offer 25k he can't come. If Sturridge came on 50k, and Delph was on 25k, he'd want that amount. Same for the likes of Collins, Agbonlahor etc. We're not Man City. Infact they wouldn't even offer Sturridge the wages he wants and that says a lot...

Yes, exactly, give £50,000 a week to Sturridge and then the players like Delfouneso will go "hang on a minute, why is he on that and not me" and then you get people like Delfouneso demanding big wages, aswell senior players going "well we are on 50,000 too, I want a raise, i deserve more than him who is still young and doing nothing" etc...etc..

Have read through this thread a little and am surprised at the arrogant attitude of some on here. Someone else has stated that the likes of Beckford and Ledley would be poor signings. What utter bollox!

You need to look at the signing of Beckford and Ledley in the wright context. They would be signed on the basis of replacing Sidwell and Harewood, probably, even Heskey, not direct replacements for Carew, Agbonlahor or Milner. Heskey and Sidwell would probably bring in something like four to five million in transfer revenue and if we replaced those players with Beckford and Ledley, who would cost nothing in transfer fees, then how would that not be good business?

Beckford already carries much more of a goal threat than either Heskey, or Harewood and Ledley would be an improvement on Sidwell. Have watched Ledley play quite a few times and he is excellent on the ball.

I wish people would look at the overall picture here. With the Europa League next season, we will need our squad more, to rest members of our first team and if we can get Joe Ledly and Beckford on frees and on less wages than Sidwell and Harewood then for **** sake why shouldn't we bring them to the Villa. What are we going to lose? If both players didn't work out, then we could sell them on again back to the Championship with a profit bulging in our chairman's pocket.

Our squad is going to be revamped and i for one would welcome Ledly and Beckford into that squad before Everton sign them.

I wanted Sturridge last summer but he took the money. If he wants to get his career back on track, then worth a try.

Yeah things have really gone wrong for him since winning the Premier League and FA Cup, getting CL experience and working with some of the best players and coaches in the game while picking up huge wages. Poor kid his career has gone right off track.

Before someone replies saying "but he isn't a regular" well he wasn't at Man City either so his career hasn't diviated from its course or gone off track he has just improved his surroundings, wealth and CV.

In time he might have to move for first team football but that time hasn't arrived for him yet. Besides moving for first team football doesn't carry any guarentee, just ask Sidwell.

Did he actually play in enough prem games to get a medal, think it's ten.

Not exactly.

If a player wants 50k and financially we can only offer 25k he can't come. If Sturridge came on 50k, and Delph was on 25k, he'd want that amount. Same for the likes of Collins, Agbonlahor etc. We're not Man City. Infact they wouldn't even offer Sturridge the wages he wants and that says a lot...

you have to break your wage structure from time to time in order to improve it's as simple as that really, if you're happy with 6th every season then yeah fine keep paying new signings 25k per week

Not exactly.

you have to break your wage structure from time to time in order to improve it's as simple as that really, if you're happy with 6th every season then yeah fine keep paying new signings 25k per week

We do pay big wages if a player is deserved. Daniel Sturridge has done nothing more than Delfouneso in his football career. Do you honestly believe Delfouneso deserves £50,000 a week from Aston Villa?

Not exactly.

We do pay big wages if a player is deserved. Daniel Sturridge has done nothing more than Delfouneso in his football career. Do you honestly believe Delfouneso deserves £50,000 a week from Aston Villa?

might aswell give it to him now because we will have to in a year or 2 when the vultures start circling

I'd argue against that.

A.Young

Agbonlahor

Carew

Outside of that I can't think of anyone else that would be on circa 50K, unless when you say circa you mean anything within 25k....

Have read through this thread a little and am surprised at the arrogant attitude of some on here. Someone else has stated that the likes of Beckford and Ledley would be poor signings. What utter bollox!

You need to look at the signing of Beckford and Ledley in the wright context. They would be signed on the basis of replacing Sidwell and Harewood, probably, even Heskey, not direct replacements for Carew, Agbonlahor or Milner. Heskey and Sidwell would probably bring in something like four to five million in transfer revenue and if we replaced those players with Beckford and Ledley, who would cost nothing in transfer fees, then how would that not be good business?

Beckford already carries much more of a goal threat than either Heskey, or Harewood and Ledley would be an improvement on Sidwell. Have watched Ledley play quite a few times and he is excellent on the ball.

I wish people would look at the overall picture here. With the Europa League next season, we will need our squad more, to rest members of our first team and if we can get Joe Ledly and Beckford on frees and on less wages than Sidwell and Harewood then for **** sake why shouldn't we bring them to the Villa. What are we going to lose? If both players didn't work out, then we could sell them on again back to the Championship with a profit bulging in our chairman's pocket.

Our squad is going to be revamped and i for one would welcome Ledly and Beckford into that squad before Everton sign them.

good post.

That makes ZERO sense. That's like saying "I may as well start paying my mortgage now but I don't move in for 2 years"

If we have to pay the fonz 50k in 2 years to keep him then we will. No point in pouring £5million down the train between now and then.

Edit: was referring to SGC's last post

I'd argue against that.

A.Young

Agbonlahor

Carew

Outside of that I can't think of anyone else that would be on circa 50K, unless when you say circa you mean anything within 25k....

no I meant around 45k-60k , I'd put my life on Dunne, Petrov and Heskey being on those wages