Bollitics: The General Election 2010 Exit Poll

bickster

How Did You Vote in the General Election?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Vote in the General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Didn't bother

sounds like the lib dems will start talks with Labour if they can get rid of brown very soon.

Any links to that mate?

sorry was just said by someone on BBC news 24. the chubby one in glasses (northern irish I think) who was standing outside downing street.

he got the info from senior labour advisors....apparently.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"0944: Senior Lib Dem sources say Nick Clegg is prepared to negotiate seriously with Labour if Gordon Brown is prepared to step down quickly, says the BBC's Iain Watson. As we speak, Schools Secretary Ed Balls, Business Secretary Lord Mandelson and former Labour spin doctor Alistair Campbell are all in Downing Street holding a meeting with Mr Brown.'

from BBC live text on site.

Honest question Ian; What do you want to happen? Who do you want to be prime minister and form a government based upon the voting on Thursday?
In the interest of fairness.....

@Richard

Honest question Richard; What do you want to happen? Who do you want to be prime minister and form a government based upon the voting on Thursday? And whom do you wish to form that govt.

Why me? I haven't been involved in the debate since Thursday!
Just interested to see the other side of the coin, nothing malicious.

"0944: Senior Lib Dem sources say Nick Clegg is prepared to negotiate seriously with Labour if Gordon Brown is prepared to step down quickly, says the BBC's Iain Watson. As we speak, Schools Secretary Ed Balls, Business Secretary Lord Mandelson and former Labour spin doctor Alistair Campbell are all in Downing Street holding a meeting with Mr Brown.'

Ooooh, this is interesting. If it looks like happening I predict that will be when the markets take flight.

I wonder how they will square the Lib Dem approach to Civil Liberties (broadly the same as the Tories) with Labour's more North Korean stance?

Labour would be silly to do a deal with Clegg. They should sit back and let a Cameron/Clegg government **** things up, change their leader and come back in a year to win the next election outright.

Ooooh, this is interesting. If it looks like happening I predict that will be when the markets take flight.

The markets want a plan - if the lib-lab pact can give them one, and a believable one this time, and if the markets believe they can deliver it then they will be satisfied - so it would need to be a formal 'contracted' coalliation, not just an alliance of the willing.

I wonder how they will square the Lib Dem approach to Civil Liberties (broadly the same as the Tories) with Labour's more North Korean stance?
If they're playing the long game, then the PR referendum trumps all their other policy requirements, as once PR is in, then they can flex their muscles in the next parliament.

Labour would be silly to do a deal with Clegg. They should sit back and let a Cameron/Clegg government **** things up, change their leader and come back in a year to win the next election outright.

Of course they'd be silly, in fact they'd be stark raving mad!

As it is the Tories have to clean up Labour's catastrophic economic mess, if a Lab/Lib coalition comes in the real culprits would have to take the blame because Clegg and Cable won't conspire in continuing the deception that has been perpetrated. Basically either the truth will out or the Lib Dems will lose any shred of credibility.

The coalition wouldn't last (fundamentally Labour and the Libs are no closer than the Libs and the Tories) and even with voting reform the Tories would probably achieve the required majority next time.

Even bigger bonus being Cameron would probably be ditched in favour of Hague or a re-entry from Boris!!

Just to complete the set of strange historical quirks, our prospectors have discovered the first viable oilfield 190 miles north of the Falklands (estimated at 200 million barrels, worth 17 billion pounds at today's prices).

The Argies have said the find has pushed them beyond their limits. Falklands Mk 2 on the horizon, but this time with a pot of (black) gold at the end of the rainbow. Hope no one kicks the arse out of defence cuts too much..

Yeah I mentioned this a few pages back when I said that what Cameron really needed was something to win over the voters ....

I can't find it now but there was a comment piece by some Brit living in BA saying that the Argies have no stomach for a fight nor the resources to do it either

So a double opportunity , build and flog the Argies some planes and warships to boost our economy and create jobs ....and then destroy the lot in a small conflict and run to the polls ... Tonyh29 for PM

If you want a silly bet put a few quid on Darling being the next PM

Compared to Balls, Harperson, Milliband (either) that would be a blessed relief.

Pretty much agree, it's not really a good time to govern at the moment. If I was Labour I would sit and wait and come back stronger with a good leader as you say. There is opportunity here to make the Tories life hell if the votes are close in the commons. "Call me Dave" promised change but the best he can hope for is to limp along wounded for a couple of years delivering virtually nothing.

the one real change that people want is how we elect a parliament

is it ?

I don't think it was that high on peoples voting priority list tbh

A couple of polls before the election only had it as 48% of the public wanted a change in the vote system ....Of course now it's been in the news every day he number has risen , I think to 55% ? but remember these are the same people that said they would vote Lib Dem and promptly didn't :-)

A change to AV was in Labours Manifesto , depending on a referendum :shock: :crylaugh: but I didn't see them going on about it in their campaigning until the point it looked like the Libs were going to push them to third and the I agree with Nick Campaign started -) )

Tony - changing policies to suit aims is clearly a Tory trait as we are seeing now. How much is Dave offering Clegg?

If Cameron is so convinced it is not what the people want why doesn't he ask them? What was that he talked about, openness and change? Obviously he just meant underwear

The irony in all this, is that the two parties who are actually the most similar are Labour and Conservative!

you've been listening to Gringo and Bicks for too long :-)

But yep that was the strange thing , Libs were the only party offering anything really different and arguably the public rejected them ( subject to what voting system you believe in )

Tony - changing policies to suit aims is clearly a Tory trait as we are seeing now. How much is Dave offering Clegg?

If Cameron is so convinced it is not what the people want why doesn't he ask them? What was that he talked about, openness and change? Obviously he just meant underwear

The only Party offering PR polled 23% of the popular vote.

The Tories who wanted to maintain FPTP polled 36%.

Hardly a ground swell of pressure for PR Ian, is it? Good spin though mate :winkold:

BBC - "1026: Nick Clegg, speaking a short while ago, talked about his commitment to "political reform" not "electoral reform", says the BBC's chief political correspondent Laura Kuenssberg. We may be reading too much into this, but he did talk throughout the election campaign about the latter - fundamental change to the voting system. It does appear he's softened his language somewhat now".

About to sell his party down the river in return for a cabinet post?

Guest Ricardomeister

62% of people want PR according to a survey on yesterday's news. I would say that represents a pretty decent majority.

62% of people want PR according to a survey on yesterday's news. I would say that represents a pretty decent majority.
I'll bet 62% of the adult population don't even know what PR is.