Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Quick question for all of you cricket fans in here, what got you into cricket? For me it was the 05 Ashes, KP and Freddie smashing the Aussies out of the park, the incredible win at Edgbaston, the nervy draw at Old Trafford, just about scraping home at Trent Bridge and then KP smashing the Aussies to all parts at the Oval when it looked as though Australia were going to turn it around. I mean both of my Grandad's and my dad are big cricket fans so I would have been introduced to it eventually by one of them but they didn't have to.

Both my Mum and Step Dad both dislike sport but even they watched most of that series and really enjoyed it. 

I'm asking because I read an article the other day and it talked about a lack of a national interest in the English cricket team and it was right. How are England going to capture the country's imagination when they are so god damn awful and boring? I think it's sad for the English game will never see sights like this again-

55392337-the-england-cricket-team-celebr

I played at Junior school, and we went to watch Warwickshire a few times. Test Match Special on the BBC in the Summer was always on, and I’d sit and watch for 5 days solid (much to my parents dismay, who probably wanted me out the house). I started playing properly at Senior school, and by that point I was fully in love with the sport.

As for the second part, I think the fact cricket is not as popular, is the fact that it’s not on terrestrial TV, coupled with the accessibility and cost for youngsters to play (you need to buy a bat, pads, kit etc which isn’t cheap). Add to that the lack of areas to actually play. I remember we used to get chased by the parky, if we dared step on the wicket in our local park! That said, I still feel there’s a real enthusiasm for the game. I don’t think you can say for sure there will never be scenes like that again. 2005 was a one off, a perfect storm if you will. It really captured the nation’s imagination, due to it being such a great contest, played in such a great spirit, and available for everyone to see. I’d not say the current set up is boring, far from it. There were some amazing games of cricket in the past 12 months. Anderson attempting to block out Sri Lank, Moeen Ali cleaning up the Indians etc. We’re just at new beginning for the England side at the moment, after seeing the best England side of my life time. They may not hit the height of the team that proceeded them, but there talent there, and plenty of people will want to watch them home and away.  

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

I just grew up with it really, having two older brothers who loved sport and access to it on the Beeb, then Channel 4 which was brilliantly put together. I fear kids just won't get into the game like that any more, which is why a Big Bash franchise thing would be so welcome on proper TV to get their attention again, as I can't see Sky losing Test cricket.

• Like 1

I got into it as a kid as well - not junior school - I'd never heard of it then, but at 11, when I moved to big school - we'd play it with a bin and an old bat and tennis ball, and the Ashes was on the telly and the two sort of merged into a love of the game.

Used to go to Edgbaston and watch the JPL games and Nat West games and sometimes just County Championship games

The I played it properly(ish) for various teams. I had to stop once I started falling apart at the ankles, but I had a freindly day night game in Aus about a year ago and still loved it just as much.

Totally agree re it should be on terrestrial - for test matches like it used to be. Sky might be gits, but their cricket coverage is the best sport coverage they do and the ability to watch overseas games  - England abraod and the BBL and so on is fantastic. The BBC and all don't have the channels to put it on, mostly, though freeview and IPL on ITV 4 has helped.

• Like 1

Loving watching Eoin Morgan as England ODI captain. Played against him many's a time in my younger days and he was always a prodigy. He was playing at the very top of the Irish game when he was knee high to a grasshopper, and he was usually the best player on the pitch

• Like 1

OK, so after looking and having a think about this today, I decided to pick an all time ODI XI. Then I though, why not give the good cricket loving people of VT a chance to pick theirs. So, let's have them gents? Feel free to go off the suggested BBC lists, if you want to. Anyway, here's mine. I've tried to pick mostly players I've seen, and have played in my life time (aside from couple of obvious legends):

Tendulkar

Amla

Sangakkara

Richards

de Villiers

Gilchrist

Kallis

Warne

Marshall

Akram

McGrath

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

That's a good list, Dave. I think Chris Gayle would be in mine, though.

Chris Gayle

Sachin Tendulkar

IVA Richards

Kumar Sangkkara

AB de Villiers

Jaques Kallis

Michael Bevan

Dale Steyn

Joel Garner

Malinga

Muralitharan

• Like 2

I've just seen that I put Gilchrist in as well as Sangakkara in the side I posted. I think that's the product of swapping people in and out a few times.

I'm going to swap him out for an extra bowling option and I'm going to have Klusener (the one of that two/three year period when he was awesome with the bat and not too shabby with the ball) coming in at seven.

• Like 1

It strikes me that with the lack of Englishmen in the XIs so far, we've never been brilliant at the shorter form of the game! 

Yeah. You could probably, credibly name 3 or 4 different 11's with no Englishman in and get no argument. You couldn't do one test 11, though...or could you?

It strikes me that with the lack of Englishmen in the XIs so far, we've never been brilliant at the shorter form of the game! 

Yeah. You could probably, credibly name 3 or 4 different 11's with no Englishman in and get no argument. You couldn't do one test 11, though...or could you?

You could easily pick a test XI, with no Englishmen, but I'd have to find place for one or two! I remember during the last Ashes over here, TMS picked an Ashes XI, and a rest of the world XI to play them. Two cracking teams, obviously! I might do some digging, and find who they picked. 

Â