Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

^^^  yep agreed. With my usual lack of bias, what about Rickie Clarke !!  :)

Did you know he has his own fan club; organised by a Villa fan ? 

Is that Paul or Pete? Pete takes a  Clarke flag to every game. One Rikki Clarke lol....

He'll be 33 by the time the world cup is on. I think his time has come and gone...

Edited by PaulC

I do think its pretty ridiculous that James Taylor isn't in the squad. And having Joe Root as the second spinner when Moeen Ali isn't getting a game is bonkers....Even with Finn our bowling attack looks very samey... And Finn is not bowling as quick as he used to.

I don't claim to be an expert on cricket (having played at the lowest level possible !) but if you look back, not long after I started this topic, I picked James Taylor. I would have given anything for him to come to us but guess he was settled in East Mids (previous club Leics) and there was a vicious rumour that Warks wouldn't stump up the money. Oh well !

Only half serious re Rikki Clarke but he MUST be better than Stokes.

I'll find out tomorrow who that chap is - yes One Rikki Clarke - that's him

I don't claim to be an expert on cricket (having played at the lowest level possible !) but if you look back, not long after I started this topic, I picked James Taylor. I would have given anything for him to come to us but guess he was settled in East Mids (previous club Leics) and there was a vicious rumour that Warks wouldn't stump up the money. Oh well !

Only half serious re Rikki Clarke but he MUST be better than Stokes.

I'll find out tomorrow who that chap is - yes One Rikki Clarke - that's him

Certainly Clarke is having a golden run in one day cricket this season. He has developed his skills nicely in that format, however the potential with Stokes is far greater. I remember the hundred he got at Edgbaston. I thought he was destined for greatness then. He hasn't really developed much though but probably needs time. The bigger problem I have is having Cook in the side as captain. Swann is right! I even think its last chance saloon for Ian Bell in odi cricket.  I think Varun Chopra would be a better choice as captain but I'd prob go with Taylor...

Also I don't think you need to have played at a high level to have an understanding of the game. Quite a few coaches around who weren't very good players. Sometimes you listen to the likes of Botham, Butcher and Atherton and wonder what they know about the game...

Edited by PaulC

even the rock ballance has now departed. Think England ought to just admit defeat on the one day stage and stick obstinately to test cricket. 

Or, they could at some point, learn how to play spin and adapt their approach in line with the differing demands of the shorter format. 

England well on their way to another one-day pummelling.

Look at the crowd too, absolutely ludicrous that there wasn't a test at Edgbaston.  

EDIT: Won by 9 wickets with 117 balls to spare. Would've liked to see the remaining overs batted, would've been absolute carnage.

Edited by Milfner

Wonder why the selectors are so stubborn. Its obvious we have the wrong team out there. Cook being a prime example of a player who is not cut out for one day cricket yet because he's the test captain he's got to be the odi captain. Surely they have to change it after the series ends.

I just think we only care about the ashes and nothing else.

• Like 1

Sometimes you listen to the likes of Botham, Butcher and Atherton and wonder what they know about the game...

I hope I get you right (as in it doesn't translate) that it's a case of not getting what they know rather than dismissing it, especially Atherton.

Also, why are very good county captains being ignored for someone in Cook who can't captain for his life in ODI cricket?

Because they're county captains and not international players (that's not to say that I think Cook ought to be playing in/captaining the one dayers - he shouldn't be doing the latter and the former is debatable).

Â