Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Does anybody here use/trust Airdroid? It seems ridiculously good.

It's pretty cool. Apart from uploading files I didn't find much use for it personally. But it's a fantastic technical exercise.

I think I'm sold on the Galaxy Tab 7.7 by Engadgets review. http://www.engadget....tional-edition/

Basically, the parts of my Nexus 7 I don't like are, the screen is slightly too small, there is no 3G and the screen is just good for watching video.

The Tab 7.7 has my dream screen, Super Amoled Plus and at 7.7 inches, also it has 3G and 12 hour video playback is utterly stunning. The downside is stuck on Touchwiz, but there is rom support and most on the xda forum seem to be running stock 4.1.2

The tab also has a 16:10 aspect ratio, so along with the added 0.7 inch diagonal, it has 27% more screen area than the Nexus 7 yet is 5g lighter.

So it comes to price, the Nexus 7 3G new cost £240, while the Tab 7.7 costs £280.

I think for what I want the Tab 7.7 fits the bill to perfection. Especially combined with giffgaff unlimited internet.

Anyway, I've ordered it to replace my Nexus 7.

The tab also has a 16:10 aspect ratio, so along with the added 0.7 inch diagonal, it has 27% more screen area than the Nexus 7 yet is 5g lighter.

27%? I make it just over 14% and virtually the same size when viewing the most popular video ratio 16:9.

Explain your maths? 20.9 sq inches for Nexus 7 compared to to 26.6 sq inches for Tab 7.7

Also why is 16:9 the most popular? It's only used when viewing video. I prefer a bit more width in portrait for browsing the web, so 16:10 is my preferred compromise ratio.

Explain your maths? 20.9 sq inches for Nexus 7 compared to to 26.6 sq inches for Tab 7.7

Also why is 16:9 the most popular? It's only used when viewing video. I prefer a bit more width in portrait for browsing the web, so 16:10 is my preferred compromise ratio.

Nexus 7

7 inches

16:9 aspect ratio

Viewable Image Info:

Image Dimensions: 6.11" x 3.43"

Image area: 20.96 sq. in.

Screen Utilization: 100%

Tab 7.7

7.7 inches

16:10 aspect ratio

Viewable Image Info:

Image Dimensions: 6.53" x 3.67"

Image area: 23.97 sq. in.

Screen Utilization: 89.98%

I did reference 'video' in my statement 'most popular video ratio'.

16:10 vs 16:9 is hardly noticeable when web browsing but 10% 'black band' is noticeable on video.

Either way, the online display size calculator I used showed a difference of 3 sq. in. or 14.3%. EDIT: I now suspect the 'image area' stated is the reduced size when displaying a 16:9 image and not the actual screen size - whoops!

Do black bands on videos still bother people? I remember when widescreen TV first came in and people would zoom in on or stretch 4:3 ratio shows just because they thought they were "wasting" screen space. Surely **** up an aspect ratio is far worse?

Brommy I was talking about the screen size, 7.7 is bigger than 7 inches. An aspect ratio of 16:10 will give more surface area at the same diagonal size as 16:9.

So firstly I'll have a bigger screen to watch movies on regardless. Secondly and here's the important part, there will be more screen and importantly wider portrait dimensions when web browsing.

16:9 is simply a movie aspect ratio, it has nothing to do with what would be best for web browsing or other tasks. I have a 16:9 aspect ratio Microsoft Surface and it's not the best aspect ratio for browsing web in portrait at all.

With the 7.7 tab, as I said you get 27% more screen and that might fit the bill for me, I know my mate who has a Nexus 7 said he loves the iPad mini size. The Nexus 7 is just that little bit too small. I do hope there is a new 7.7 or 8 inch Android tablet to come in the future. 7 isn't the right size.

Do black bands on videos still bother people? I remember when widescreen TV first came in and people would zoom in on or stretch 4:3 ratio shows just because they thought they were "wasting" screen space. Surely **** up an aspect ratio is far worse?

A regular 16:9 video image uses less than 75% of 4:3 screen; a 2.35:1 cinematic image uses just over half a 4:3 screen. 16:9 video does look appreciable smaller on a 4:3 screen than a 16:9 or 16:10 screen. I do agree that messing up the original image ratio is worse than viewing a smaller image.

Perhaps I'm just convincing myself to follow up my thoughts on using my long service work award vouchers to buy a Nexus 10 (16:10 ratio). I have £400 worth to treat my self with.

Brommy I was talking about the screen size, 7.7 is bigger than 7 inches. An aspect ratio of 16:10 will give more surface area at the same diagonal size as 16:9.

So firstly I'll have a bigger screen to watch movies on regardless. Secondly and here's the important part, there will be more screen and importantly wider portrait dimensions when web browsing.

16:9 is simply a movie aspect ratio, it has nothing to do with what would be best for web browsing or other tasks. I have a 16:9 aspect ratio Microsoft Surface and it's not the best aspect ratio for browsing web in portrait at all.

With the 7.7 tab, as I said you get 27% more screen and that might fit the bill for me, I know my mate who has a Nexus 7 said he loves the iPad mini size. The Nexus 7 is just that little bit too small. I do hope there is a new 7.7 or 8 inch Android tablet to come in the future. 7 isn't the right size.

Despite my previous post, I regularly post/browse on an iPad (9.7" 4:3) and I'm currently considering a Nexus 10 (10.055" 16:10), so I suspect I wouldn't have enjoyed a 7" 16:9 either. :-)

Sorry typo, I of course meant £240. Tab 7.7 is a premium of £40 over Nexus 7. But has better screen, better battery, more screen real estate, is more premium feeling. But negatives are, skinned ICS and dual core cpu though higher clock.

I'll throw on stock JB 4.1.2 on the Tab 7.7 when I get it. Great benefit of Samsung products is unlocked bootloader and released sourcecode. So JB runs well on it according to my readings on XDA.

BTW, everyone running Jellybean update google search from the play store and try out voice search. I used it on my Nexus 7 when I got it and it wasn't great. Now it's mindbogglingly good. I'm asking where places are and its giving me navigation options to them in 1 second. No processing.

To make that much of an update from the 4.1 to 4.2 versions of voice search in 5 months is awesome. In a year or twos time combined with Google Now this will be THE killer feature you cannot live without. No stupid phone talking back at you, just a phone giving you what you need.

Awesome.

this is a full post test with google voice. Let's see how many mistakes we get.I have already testing out the google voice search and it is excellent. no I will see if it is as good with the voice dictation as it was for the search. I remember people complementing to google voice dictation in this thread during the summer. Food from my use on the next 7 it wasn't that great but since google voice search has been updated I thought this may have improved to. So how many mistakes did I get?

Â