Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

2 massive Apple fans at work, both hate Android, showed them the 7, they're both about to order one.

Part of me hopes you're refering to the contents of your trousers rather than Google's new tablet...... :|

Speaking of apple fans. Had a fun camera off with a 4S last night. Basically from phone lying on the table we had to pick up and take photo of wine bottle label. S3 was quickest to launch camera and take photo, plus the picture was better too. Aided a bit by the stunning screen so to settle it he emailed me the pic for a comparison. He agreed the S3 was the winner.

Apple fans falling by the wayside. Haha

It's just that there are some Apple fans who know next to nothing of Android and assume the iPhone is the best at everything by default. So such demonstrations of Android are educational. To let them know the same experience can be had on another platform.

Okay.

So I'm trying to update the software on a Samsung S2 and I'm struggling. Usually this is because I'm old and I'm an idiot. So any help would be appreciated.

I've downloaded Kies onto my Mac, plugged the phone into it with the USB but it won't connect.

I was getting a message that said it couldn't connect because it needed to be in idle mode but I found a thing that told me I needed to change my USB connectivity setting or somesuch in order to do this which I've done. I no longer get that message, but it still doesn't connect.

The phone tells me it is connected, Kies doesn't.

Oh and additionally the phone Kies now habitually tries to attach itself to a wifi network that isn't mine and I have no idea ow to change it. This was my fault.

Does anyone have a really really simple way of explaining this please.

Well, I restarted the phone, changed the USB debugging settings and managed to get the phone to connect with Kies - yay!

The first message it told me was that my phone didn't support software updating via Kies.

Sigh.

It looks like the only way to upgrade an S2 to get your ice cream thingy is via the medium of prayer - other methods are even more unlikely to work.

Okay.

So I'm trying to update the software on a Samsung S2 and I'm struggling. Usually this is because I'm old and I'm an idiot. So any help would be appreciated.

I've downloaded Kies onto my Mac, plugged the phone into it with the USB but it won't connect.

I was getting a message that said it couldn't connect because it needed to be in idle mode but I found a thing that told me I needed to change my USB connectivity setting or somesuch in order to do this which I've done. I no longer get that message, but it still doesn't connect.

The phone tells me it is connected, Kies doesn't.

Oh and additionally the phone Kies now habitually tries to attach itself to a wifi network that isn't mine and I have no idea ow to change it. This was my fault.

Does anyone have a really really simple way of explaining this please.

Go into the wireless settings on the phone and longpress on the network you want to get rid. Choose forget/delete or whatever it says in english in the popup.

As for updating. Don't use a mac (i have no clue actually). I have never updated in an official samsung way, only custom roms.

I never used kies either. Just flashed with odin. But you need to have any custom launcher turned off to get the phone to connect to kies. Also usb debugging turned on gets the drivers needed to connect with kies. Finally don't use a mac, use a pc.

Well, I restarted the phone, changed the USB debugging settings and managed to get the phone to connect with Kies - yay!

The first message it told me was that my phone didn't support software updating via Kies.

Sigh.

It looks like the only way to upgrade an S2 to get your ice cream thingy is via the medium of prayer - other methods are even more unlikely to work.

Why are you doing it with Kies? My stock S2 upgraded over the air to ICS. It prompted me "do you want to update?". I tapped yes and it downloaded, flashed and rebooted without me doing anything else.

Go to settings->about device->software updates

An irritating thing that I've found with my S3 is that hitting the volume button when it's on silent (and unlocked) automatically turns the sound on again.

Is there anyway to turn this off?

I find it's quite easy to accidentall hit those volume buttons so this happens quite often. Maybe it's just me being clumsy!

I realise this is a very trivial matter, but it irritates me :D

It's maybe a bit of a daft thing to be irritated about as you want the volume rocker to control the volume. But this being android means you can control everything.

Try volume locker or volume control + apps

Also audio manager pro or easy profiles apps should help you.

It's maybe a bit of a daft thing to be irritated about as you want the volume rocker to control the volume. But this being android means you can control everything.

Try volume locker or volume control + apps

Also audio manager pro or easy profiles apps should help you.

Yeah I want it to control the volume, but if the phone's on silent then the point is there is no volume to control.

I'll have a look at those, thanks.

Volume locker works perfectly. Just tested it out. Android customisation must be a handy thing for you coming from iOS. How are you liking it?

I really like it. Still get the feeling I'm not even close to getting as much out of the phone as I should, but I'm sure that'll come in time.

But yeah, there's a lot about it that I much prefer over iOS. Some things I don't prefer as well, but it's mostly very positive.

Â