Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

It's not just a case of using the same tech to make a bigger screen. They'd have gone with SAMOLED+ if they could, but they don't currently have the technology to make a HD screen at that size using SAMOLED+. SAMOLED+ is good for around 200dpi, the SIII has over 300. The SII and the Galaxy Tab 7.7 both are in around the same range of DPI, so they get SAMOLED+, the SIII though is stuck on SAMOLED.

It's not just a case of throwing another £100 at the phone to get it, it's a case of needing to switch to an entirely different manufacturing process before they can even think about it.

It's not just a case of using the same tech to make a bigger screen. They'd have gone with SAMOLED+ if they could, but they don't currently have the technology to make a HD screen at that size using SAMOLED+. SAMOLED+ is good for around 200dpi, the SIII has over 300. The SII and the Galaxy Tab 7.7 both are in around the same range of DPI, so they get SAMOLED+, the SIII though is stuck on SAMOLED.

It's not just a case of throwing another £100 at the phone to get it, it's a case of needing to switch to an entirely different manufacturing process before they can even think about it.

Thanks, I was wondering what the reason for the lack of + was.

Aslo Rev that was an interesting read thanks for the link

It's **** massive isn't it?!

I'm liking the look of the reviews and videos etc about the S3 that are coming out. I think I'll probably be going for it

I don't visit the tech section too often so apologies if this is the wrong place for this question...

I've been having a few problems with internet access on my Xperia X10 (on T-mobile). I've tried googling but it's difficult to specify a search that will yield relevant results.

Basically, sometimes I cannot access any websites for several days via 3G. I still have internet access because I can still use apps that need to go online, and I can still access my emails. Also, the 3G indicator is still there. But I can't load up any websites - the phone stalls and just loads up nothing. It happened when I left Oxford on Friday morning to go up to the Midlands, and only starting working again this afternoon (I got back to Oxford yesterday). The last time it happened was at Easter, also when I left Oxford to go to Gatwick to fly to Spain. I couldn't get internet access via 3G until I left the UK.

(I should add that I can still access websites via wifi, but I very rarely have wifi access when I need it, so this isn't much use)

I've tried downloading different browsers. I've cleared my cache, history etc. Turned the phone on and off several times. Taken the battery out. Everything else works perfectly. And eventually, after a couple of days, 3G access works perfectly again as well, without me changing any settings. But those few days when it refuses to do anything are so infuriating.

Any ideas?

In the mobile network settings (which is the only place that I can see roaming options), my settings are:

Data enabled

Data roaming: International roaming

Network mode: GSM / WCDMA (preferred)

Network operators: T-Mobile is selected and search mode is set to 'search automatically'

Generally my phone seems to be connected to the T-Mobile network. Occasionally I notice that it's on Orange, but there doesn't seem to be any connection with this and my internet problems.

Did you take concious action to enable Orange roaming when they merged? If not I suspect that's the problem. Speak to your provider.

Not that I remember. I'll give them a call, thanks.

The fact that it seemed to only be a problem when I left Oxford was bugging me, so this might be a good explanation.

On a slightly unrelated note, my contract is up in July so I'm probably going to upgrade to the Xperia S for free (£36/month). Anybody got one yet, looks quite nice?

I'd see how they handle your problem before thinking about signing up for another 24 months. But of course I'd go the giffgaff route anyway.

Workmate got a One X. It's not really much bigger than the sg2 but the screen uses more of the space. Lovely phone, complaining about stuff is a hair-splitting job I reckon. Battery (non removal) and SD slot being the only things.

Thing is though Tegis those are key deal breakers. Non removable battery is a deal breaker for anyone who's used to having a spare fully charged battery on hand when they need it. We've all had times when we had to go out and our phone is not fully charged. Simply swap battery and put the half charged back into the charger and off you go.

The second is the lack of SD card slot. I have all my music on a 32gb card. I keep internal storage for photos, tv shows etc. Also I have a smaller phone, the Galaxy 5 which is small and light which I use when I go running, I simply swap the SD card and have moved my music to the smaller phone.

So right there you have 2 reasons I wouldn't even upgrade from my S2 to a One X. That's before we even mention my love for AMOLED screens. The fact the One X doesn't even beat the S3 on any other feature means I am not even considering it as an upgrade option.

Really when you think about it, people speak of the One X as if sure it's not much worse than the S3. But nobody has yet tried to say it's better. Like people want it to be better than it is, or people who are impatient in waiting to see what the S3 is like and jumping the gun.

It's always best to survey all the options and then make an informed choice. I'm waiting for the S3 reviews before making my mind up on it.

But what we do know is 1800 mAh battery in One X, which has a LCD screen and Tegra 3 processor, both of which use more power than SAMOLED and Xynos. Then the S3 has a bigger battery to boot, 2100mAh. Result will be almost certainly better batterylife in the S3 over the One X.

Non removable battery is a deal breaker for anyone who's used to having a spare fully charged battery on hand when they need it.

I'm not arguing any of your points but you are the only one I know who does this.

And my point still stands, the OneX is a fantastic phone, even if the S3 is better.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who does that either.

Removable storage is good too, but for me it's unecessary, especially if I went for the 64gb handset. I'd have no need for the removable storage. Even if I did have to use it, I think I'd just use it as additional storage rather than storage I can move from device to device.

Not many people do it because they don't realise they can do it, or it's not that big of a deal if their phone goes flat.

At my work, the team I work with have the following phones: Galaxy Note, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Nexus. Once one of us realised the spare official batteries were only £20, we all started getting them.

I have 16GB on my GN, and it can be a bit of a pain that sometimes I'll start getting near the limit when I have loads of Titanium backups and Nandroids on there. I use Google Music for my music so have very little static files on there. I generally keep to about 13GB with loads of photos, about 10 albums, few videos etc on there.

I only recently got a spare battery as I thought my existing one was dead, it wasn't. But suddenly came upon the new level of convenience that having a spare battery gives me. I can't live without one now tbh, so handy. The fact I make a fair amount of money gambling means I need internet access all the time, plus I use my phone a lot meaning battery drain.

The spare battery is a life saver now tbh, no idea how I didn't get one years ago, so cheap too.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a strange problem for ya. Since the ICS update, my phone hasn't been able to get 3g signal. Orange recently, before the ICS update, sent me a configuration update message more or less once a week (the purpose of which were unbeknownst to me), so I assumed the 3g thing was just an issue they'd sort out on an update or something. But nope, nothing.

I don't really use 3g much, in fact I actively didn't use it, but I liked having the option there. Now I don't. Any ideas?

This is nothing to do with android. Phone Orange and tell them to fix it.

Thank you.

Funnily enough no sooner do I think to mention the problem and it fixes itself. I did a quick restart on the phone this morning and lo and behold, a miracle, 3g signal. Very odd.

Â