Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Oh and I got ICS on my Asus Transformer (ie worst product I've ever spend money on and that includes the Xperia X10) and now the Asus can be at least used for some moderate tasks, I can now type things which I couldn't before on the touchscreen as 3.2 just randomly put the cursor on the screen and outright refused to let you delete anything you've written.

Amazing how bad the device was though, I mean beyond unusable and ultra frustrating it was.

That's a bugger, but at least it's working for you now after a fashion. I had a play on my bro's Prime and it was teh nutz/totesamazeballs etc. Lovely bit of kit.

My mistake buying a first gen product, there was just problem after problem after problem. Utterly useless piece of kit, shocking build quality. This is endless, in order of problems appearing.

Charger didn't work out of the box, Track pad doesn't work, c and . keys don't work, spring in micro sd card slot doesn't work, white patches appear on the screen, Power button dodgy. Add to that the software probs re unable to type properly or delete etc..

ICS is a huge improvement but the device is now worthless, not worth a penny resale.

Personally I just prefered my netbook and now an Ultrabook will be my replacement item.

Ah yeah small links, been posting on horse racing forums too long, less militant. Forgot this was a football site :lol:

Sony Xperia S Review

It has 32gb of memory on board but no micros sd card. Looks like most companies are taking them out bar Samsung, but you never know the S3 might have no sd slot either.

Although the majority of non-geeks won't even notice the lack of an Ericsson logo (especially when they hear the familiar Xperia name), there is no doubt that the Sony Xperia S is a big deal for Sony. Forgetting its toe-dipping efforts of the early 2000's, Sony has to get this right for it to cement itself as a credible new solo player in the mobile world – and we're pleased to say that we think it has scored a blinder.

There are a few niggles here – the Xperia S is by no means a perfect phone – but we're yet to encounter one handset that leaves no room for criticism. And it is our belief that the positives on the Xperia S far outweigh the negatives.

We Liked

As you may have gathered from reading through our review of the Sony Xperia S, the screen is amazing and really has to be seen to be believed.

The 1.5GHz dual-core processor keeps everything zipping along, helping us to browse the internet at speed and run multiple apps without a hint of slow down.

The 12MP camera found on the back of the Xperia S is one of the best out there and really sets it apart from other phones in the range such as the iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S2.

Sony has very kindly bundled lots of software with the Xperia S out of the box, which saves you having to dash to Google Play as soon as you turn on to grab vital apps.

We Disliked

The Sony Xperia S isn't perfect though, as it has several small niggles which can frustrate over time.

The unnecessarily fiddly flap over the charge port will grind some gears and thanks to the slippery back cover and top-heavy design there is a high drop risk with the Xperia S.

You do get 32GB of internal storage, but this will not be enough for some people and Sony has failed to provide a microSD slot on the Xperia S, which means you can't expand the memory.

We found the soft keys below the screen lacking in response and thanks to the top-notch screen battery life takes a serious beating.

We were also disappointed with the lack of Mac support and we hope this will be ironed out before the Xperia S is available for sale.

Final Verdict

There are still some niggles but we think it says a lot that when writing the pros and cons above, we really struggled with the cons section. This handset may not be cheap – and it may feel like a Sony Ericsson without the Ericsson bit printed on the front – but we are really impressed with what Sony has done for its first solo foray.

Is it worth buying? At £450 sim-free, it's not cheap but it is one of the better handsets out there and one that we found encouraged a few "What is that?" questions from iPhone owning friends.

If there's plenty of onboard space you don't really need an sd card slot. Key is though, what is 'plenty'?

There's also the issue of widgets not working if the app is installed on the sd. My phone has 512mb total, so needless to say I don't use many widgets.

As a famous man once said, why would anyone need more than 640KB?

Who was that then? (Because it sure as hell wasn't Bill Gates)

Were at you at the trade show in Seattle in 1981 when he said it? Was it misheard by people or heard out of context? I can't think why the MS PR machine would want to distance themselves from this inanity. I bet he also didn't say that MS would never make a 32bit OS either.

As a famous man once said, why would anyone need more than 640KB?

Who was that then? (Because it sure as hell wasn't Bill Gates)

Were at you at the trade show in Seattle in 1981 when he said it? Was it misheard by people or heard out of context? I can't think why the MS PR machine would want to distance themselves from this inanity. I bet he also didn't say that MS would never make a 32bit OS either.

No, but I'm betting you weren't either.

There isn't a single first hand source that attributes the quote to him, and anyone with half a brain would have seen it as a stupid thing to say, seeing as it wasn't that long previously that 64k was seen as massive (which I guess is why the idea of him saying it has gotten so popular)

The only time it's referenced is by people trying to score points against Microsoft.

And no, he openly admits to saying they wouldn't make a 32bit OS, just like how microsoft had the internet way down on their priorities before it took off because they just didn't think it was going to be a big deal (but then there were many people that claimed the internet would have been long forgotten by 96 as well).

Which is actually another thing in support of him not saying it, why admit to saying they'd never make a 32 bit OS but then refuse to admit to saying something similar about memory? He's openly mocked himself on numerous occasions so it's not like he's too proud to admit a mistake.

People in the tech world make dumb predictions all the time, there's enough sticks to beat people with without having to resort to mythical quotes like the 640k one.

Next you'll be telling me he really said "be nice to nerds, chances are you'll end up working for one" as well (he didn't, Charles Sykes did).

tbf to google, android 4 is a huge improvement on my tablet, the rake of software problems are now gone

most irritating was the movie app, after spending hours making a movie it refused to make the file at the end

When I then used MS's one on windows 7 I'd it done in under an hour and had it up on youtube moments after

I like that there are rival os now to windows, but windows is a million times better at everything but battery life,, I'm eager to get a windows 8 tablet as my next foray into the tablet market (after an ultrabook, asus must have a new Zenbook due this summer, or the next itteration of the dell)

I was resigned to never being able to have ICS (at least not without giving up the physical keyboard... none of the ICS ROMs out there support the keyboard), but lo and behold, despite some earlier doubts, AT&T/Samsung will be pushing out an OTA update in the next month or so, which would make me one of the few people on earth with a slider running ICS.

I'm deeply honored.

Â