Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Something interesting is going on in the Android Market this morning. A bunch of our favorite apps are suddenly going for a dime, with no real rhyme or reason for the discount. @dirkyd3rlc and @Pat_Huey on Twitter alerted us to Swiftkey and Minecraft on sale for 10 cents, and we've found others. Here's the list as it stands.

Great Little War Game

SketchBook Mobile

Paper Camera

Sound Hound

Asphalt 6

Fieldrunners HD

Swiftkey

Minecraft

Link

New ones daily, nice!

Anyone had this issue, I got my new handset (Samsung Galaxy S) on vodafone network, why I try to connect to the net from my desk at work I have the 'H' symbol and full signal but often times out when loading pages, fb especially doesn't work. Not sure what to do...? I can see the little upload and download arrows lighting up. The settings came directly from the network as a config message. Any ideas?

You can have HSDPA connection but error rate too high for any actual transfers. But try running Kies and downloading the latest firmware to get the latest modem code.

Something interesting is going on in the Android Market this morning. A bunch of our favorite apps are suddenly going for a dime, with no real rhyme or reason for the discount. @dirkyd3rlc and @Pat_Huey on Twitter alerted us to Swiftkey and Minecraft on sale for 10 cents, and we've found others. Here's the list as it stands.

Great Little War Game

SketchBook Mobile

Paper Camera

Sound Hound

Asphalt 6

Fieldrunners HD

Swiftkey

Minecraft

Link

New ones daily, nice!

I already had 2 of the 10. Now I have all 10 for £0.80. Amazing.

Anyone had this issue, I got my new handset (Samsung Galaxy S) on vodafone network, why I try to connect to the net from my desk at work I have the 'H' symbol and full signal but often times out when loading pages, fb especially doesn't work. Not sure what to do...? I can see the little upload and download arrows lighting up. The settings came directly from the network as a config message. Any ideas?

You can have HSDPA connection but error rate too high for any actual transfers. But try running Kies and downloading the latest firmware to get the latest modem code.

Cheers Darren, when I got the handset the latest update (2.3.5) was not available via kies but was confirmed on the net as being an official Samsung release so I did it. I guess this will limit my ability to fix this issue?

Nope. You can flash whatever modem code you like. Check what you have and have a look on XDA for any updates, but if you did a 2.3.5 firmware update it will have fairly new modem code so I doubt that's your issue. You may just be in a dodgy spot for your network operator.

Google need to get their finger out for the official ICS for Nexus S. It looks bad on them that an apparently less open company, Apple, can manage to release iOS for all devices at the same time, yet Google's previous flagship device that people forked out £400 for 12 months ago is taking so long to get their new version.

Got a little issue - open to any advice.

I have a generic ie cheap Chinese made Android tab - a Vimicro fj_vortex which I use for watching movies on the train to work. It runs Android 2.3. The other day I had it fully charged but for some reason it didn't turn itself off properly and ran the charge down completely. Now it won't take any charge and gets itself into a loop where it turns itself on, discovers it has no power and then powers off, only to power on again a few seconds later. At this time it gives me a message to connect the charger although the charger is connected. Occasionally I can get it to recognise the charger and start up the device properly, but it won't charge, the battery indicator staying at 1% even after 30-40 minutes. It's currently sitting here saying it's charging but has been stuck at 1% for about 30 minutes so far.

Not sure what to do from here. Have tried 2 different chargers (it doesn't charge from USB) and 2 different power outlets.

My guess is that it is pretty much buggered unless I can bump it up to 5-10% charge somehow.

Any ideas?

My guess is that you're pretty much buggered unless you can bump it up to 5-10% charge somehow.

Sounds like the battery is stuffed. If you can take it apart and get at the battery then it should be a standard part you can replace.

I doubt it'll take until April I'd imagine it'd be Feb

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Leaked-schedule-shows-Ice-Crean-Sandwich-updates-for-Bell_id24749

I'd guess those dates would be direct from the manufacturers.

Got the official 4.0.3 update on the NS now. It's far better than the alphas and works really well. Few rough edges still which they really should have sorted before releasing but nothing major.

Is the battery removable? If so, does it run okay on the charger with the battery out? Can you do a factory reset on the device?

I suspect the power connector has come away from the motherboard but is sometimes making contact. Take it back where you bought it.

I had a kindle which did something similar, but after trying a bunch of charging solutions it fixed itself.

Is the battery removable? If so, does it run okay on the charger with the battery out? Can you do a factory reset on the device?

I suspect the power connector has come away from the motherboard but is sometimes making contact. Take it back where you bought it.

I had a kindle which did something similar, but after trying a bunch of charging solutions it fixed itself.

Thanks for those suggestions.

There is no simple way of removing the battery - I would need to take the device apart to remove it and I'm happy to have a go at that if all else fails. As far as I can see there is no physical option for a factory reset, so unless there is some option for that within the software I am not sure that there is a way to do this.

Unfortunately I can't take it back either, as the web site I purchased it through seems to have disappeared into the ether :lol:

I have to say ICS is a spectacular release. I am only familiar with iOS up to iOS4 (I dont think my iPod will run iOS5) but this is light years ahead. Google have knocked it out of the park.

Â