Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

If you can get the Nexus 5 instead, then do that. But the Nexus 4 was my favourite ever phone (N5 is taking that title now I think) but the N4 is certainly worth getting.

I'll probably never go Samsung again after my S3 issues.

Ok, I'll have a look. 16GB not currently in stock at Tesco. When available I could get one for £120...

Do you guys know if you can get striaght into the internal memory via usb with the moto g? My HTC One X wouldn't allow it which was a load of rubbish.

Due an upgrade in March.  Hoping it will be in time for the new S5.  I've seen a few rumours and it all looks rather promising but a part of me is itching to go back to the iPhone.  I quite like IOS7 but then again I have not used it extensively apart from my iPad,  Is there anything else that people would recommend that is worth holding out for?

Anyone else having a problem with their battery being devoured by the OS?

Up until a couple of weeks ago I could easily get through two days with a screen on time of about 6 hours.

Since then Android OS has been keeping my CPU constantly awake, and I can get about 12 hours battery in stand by.

I tried a factory reset yesterday, and left it in standby without putting any apps on at all and have the same problem, the battery went from 100% to 10% in under 12 hours, with 2 minutes screen on time, and Android OS responsible for 86% of the battery drain according to the battery stats...This is on a Note 3 on 4.3.

Turns it out was due to Google settings allowing them access to my location.

Disabled that, left my house at 7am this morning and I'm at 70% battery with a screen on time of just over 2 and a half hours. **** you very much, Google.

I have a 'Google Settings' app, I assume this is universal and not just on Samsung, go in to there, Location, and then untick access location.

Don't do it in your normal device settings, as I tried this first and as well as stopping every app from using your device location, it also doesn't stop Google thinking they should be able to do it, as it's enabled in their settings, so they keep polling for your location and draining battery anyway.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Reviews online seem pretty decent, but no matter how reputable they might be, they're based in Hong Kong, so good luck if you happen to get a defective unit.

Edited by Davkaus

No. They claim to be in the UK, but their super speed delivery is 2-3 days. They are therefore outside the UK and lying. They also claim that you will never incur customs charges when they have no control over this.

Cheers guys. Just read a couple of reviews myself. Looks like delivery is usually a couple of weeks so with it being December I'd be lucky to see the item this side of Christmas.

They just flashed up a voucher too to try and convince me to follow up with what I have in my basket. Shame, I'll try and find somewhere a bit more robust for similar money...

buynow5.jpg

My battery was fine at the Saints game, today with email/apps/games/web/fairly bright screen/music it is on 51% after being taken off charge at around 8am.

Camera has a few issues, nothing terrible and it is being fixed.

Mrs The_Rev has no complaints.  The shutter speed is definitely slow, but 4.4.1 has reportedly fixed that though her phone hasn't had the update yet.  A slow shutter speed isn't a huge problem for a lot of people in the first place, we have young kids and she mostly uses the camera to get pictures of them. My two year old son has an average speed of 938mph so he is often a blur in pictures (especially in low light) but outside of that use case I think it is pretty good. 

• Like 3

The battery is the biggie for me, I use it for browsing the web mostly when at work, I don't want a ran down battery from it. Has anyone had the S3 and Nexus 5? How do their batteries compare?

Have had N5 for a week and so far it craps all over the S3.

Â