Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Still waiting for my N4 update. Meh to the Rev. Humbug etc.

Have you done the Google Services Framework trick?

Don't do this. My N4 had this.

As far as I can tell the only problem it might cause can be solved by logging out and logging back in.   I'm cool with doing that if it means I get the update faster. 

I did the google services framework thing and it made no difference to getting the update so I just flashed the nexus factory 4.3 image.

Since then my search has been playing up so I've had to delete Google search data and it's fine again.

When Apple release an iOS update you can pretty much get hold of it within 48 hours and bear in mind there are a hell of a lot more Iphones than Nexus devices and yet I have not received the update on either of my Gnex or Nexus 7.

Yes I could download it direct and do it that way but I dont really have time at the moment.

As much as I love Google for their innovation they do at times drive you mental

When Apple release an iOS update you can pretty much get hold of it within 48 hours and bear in mind there are a hell of a lot more Iphones than Nexus devices and yet I have not received the update on either of my Gnex or Nexus 7.

Yes I could download it direct and do it that way but I dont really have time at the moment.

So you're moaning that you don't have the time to update your phone? Not really sure that's googles fault.

So you're moaning that you don't have the time to update your phone? Not really sure that's googles fault.

You shouldn't have to know how to operate fastboot to update your phone. This staged rollout for Nexus devices is getting a bit of a joke.

Just got the update to 4.3 on my gnex, the Google keyboard works allot better and seems smoother. I do have swift key but think I'll be sticking to this now. Any other cool features on the update?

Edited by jadenb42

Everything you need to know about Android 4.3

The main things:

• Camera app got updated, though it has been possible to sideload the new camera app for a while now. 
  • User profiles got improved on Tablet versions of 4.3.  Handy if you have kids who use your tablet too I guess. 
  • Bluetooth got updated, some people had issues with Bluetooth on 4.2, can't say as I noticed myself though I might only connect to bluetooth audio once a week.  Low power bluetooth was added, which seems to be aimed mostly at people who use pedometers. 
  • The dialler on phone versions of 4.3 got updated to include autocomplete, though you do have to manually turn this feature on. 
  • OpenGL got updated. Basically that means that better graphics are possible. 

Talk about missing the point.

When I had an iphone you could pretty much guarantee to get the update within 24 hours just by pluging your phone into itunes and ticking a couple of boxes......job done.

It now nearly a week on and despite me checking everytime I fire up my Gnex or Nexus 7 the update has not appeared. The number of Nexus devices in use compared to the number of Iphones would be tiny and yet Google cannot get the update to that number of people in 7 days since it went live. It shouldnt take that long surely.

If in the future it means having to download the update for each individual Nexus device I own and then go through the process of flashing it over just to get the update then there is no benefit to owning a Nexus over an S4 or HTC One.

I have to finally say I don't like stock Android. Every time I go back to it from Touchwiz I just hate it. It's like a white wall. The menu is depressingly bland. Loads of little settings ain't there either.

I am afraid I'm now endoctrinated by Samsung. Part of this I may admit is down to the Nexus 4 being a pile of shit compared to the S4 (and HTC One) especially it's dirt screen.

But it brings up the question. Where is everything going to go now? I hope the focus moves to battery life as 1080p screen is the plateau. I have not even remotely cared about an update since 4.1 so the software for me anyway is now totally a non issue.

I suppose I want battery and Camera progress next. I would never wear any Google watch or similar, no interest in that at all given I already wear watches.

Tech explosion is slowing in mobile devices now for sure.

Â