Is there intelligent life out there ?

tonyh29

Is there other intelligent life out there ?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Is there other intelligent life out there ?

• Yes - All Hail our new insect overlords
    • No - We are all alone

Read the rest of the thread after that mate.

I assume you're referring to me.

I don't claim to have knowledge of the existance or not of a deity. I'm of the belief there isn't, full stop, and am opposed to the belief there is one and everything that comes with it.

But I don't have knowledge of it. I have knowledge of the things that to me suggest it's all bullshit and should do to just about anyone else that understands science as well, however, and as a thinking human being I make a call based on that.

Concrete evidence though? Nah. Evidence to suggest pretty damn heavily the case? Yeah.

:D

Read the rest of the thread after that mate.

I assume you're referring to me.

I don't claim to have knowledge of the existance or not of a deity. I'm of the belief there isn't, full stop, and am opposed to the belief there is one and everything that comes with it.

But I don't have knowledge of it. I have knowledge of the things that to me suggest it's all bullshit and should do to just about anyone else that understands science as well, however, and as a thinking human being I make a call based on that.

Concrete evidence though? Nah. Evidence to suggest pretty damn heavily the case? Yeah.

:D

I was refering to me backing down on my view of what athiest meant.

jesus was the oringinal hippy.(assuming he existed :) )

buddhist extraordinaire.

some comments on this thread, by the christians, are ironically the least christian in content. often is the case these days, so wound up by evangelical ramblings they are too selfish in considering their own goodness to adhere to the poor blokes intentions which were peace, love and getting nailed...

You'll have to wait and see won't you... The moment mankind turns on religion was termed by Jesus the start of The Great Tribulation".

Jesus warned the Christians that Jerusalem would be destroyed and every single word he told them came true!

So get doing what you & countless others want to do and destroy religion. It will happen.

Please stop preaching Julie.

If you have something of substance to add then great but descending into chanting charged religious rhetoric at posters isn't doing you any favours. You should probably move on and forget about it if the thread is getting you that wound up.

jesus was the oringinal hippy.(assuming he existed :) )

buddhist extraordinaire.

some comments on this thread, by the christians, are ironically the least christian in content. often is the case these days, so wound up by evangelical ramblings they are too selfish in considering their own goodness to adhere to the poor blokes intentions which were peace, love and getting nailed...

It's hardly ironic considering we are only human. I dont really see where ive strayed from what you perceive to be a christian attitude though.

It's hardly ironic considering we are only human. I dont really see where ive strayed from what you perceive to be a christian attitude though.

Wasn't entirely aimed at you, but really the whole 'You shall be condemed' preaching bollocks was never the dudes intentions. Far from it.

It's petty behaviour tbh, the whole holier than thou attitude some christians have needs readressed.

It's petty behaviour tbh, the whole holier than thou attitude some christians have needs readressed.

You'll never get that sort of attitude from me 8)

I'm a sinner mon!

Please stop preaching Julie.

If you have something of substance to add then great but descending into chanting charged religious rhetoric at posters isn't doing you any favours. You should probably move on and forget about it if the thread is getting you that wound up.

I'll say what I want.. calling someone on here as "dumb as f**k - not that it was aimed at me - is against VT rules as far as I know. I suspect done whilst a mod is not looking or chooses not to look.

Therefore I would point the finger elsewhere when complaining of posts doing people no favours.

I was not chanting religious rhetoric neither, I was merely pointing out what Chindie was recounting against religion - is in fact entirely in keeping with Bible prophecy.

And Bible prophecy is something Atheists may dismiss but it is certainly something they can't explain.

Your view of what agnostic means is the issue though.

YOU are agnostic. Unless you're going to claim divine knowledge?

Divine knowledge as in knowing in my heart that there is a God?

And Bible prophecy is something Atheists may dismiss but it is certainly something they can't explain.

There are thousands of prophecies. The ones that don't come true don't get remembered.

The ones that do come true tend to be so incredibly vague as to be laughable.

Pretty easily explained and dismissed.

See Derren Brown 'predicting' the lottery.

Not sure if they had cameras in those days.

Funny guy.

I meant like those Muslim scholars, who come out and say they predicted such and such, conveniently after it happened...then point out where it was in the koran.

re-write much?

Or as Chindie put it, if that isn't the case then in most cases they are pretty vague and easy to pull apart.

Although, most of what the bible says is pretty much adhered to by the people and as such it's really a self fufilling prophecy.

By that i mean if you tell the jews their civilisation will go to shit, chances are they'll get so wound up about it that it'll happen.

See Derren Brown 'predicting' the lottery.

Not sure if they had cameras in those days.

Funny guy.

I meant like those Muslim scholars, who come out and say they predicted such and such, conveniently after it happened...then point out where it was in the koran.

re-write much?

Or as Chindie put it, if that isn't the case then in most cases they are pretty vague and easy to pull apart.

Although, most of what the bible says is pretty much adhered to by the people and as such it's really a self fufilling prophecy.

By that i mean if you tell the jews their civilisation will go to shit, chances are they'll get so wound up about it that it'll happen.

Tbh I thought you were making a joke, never got the same meaning from your post as you intended.

The bible teaches that by faith alone will you get into heaven. If there was a bunch of undenyable prophesies in the bible, things that could only be explained by saying however wrote them had seen the future, people would believe without "faith".

Yes I know thats very convienent, but it couldnt be any other way.

99% of the prophesies were either for the time of Jesus/before Jesus, and the time just before he comes back and on. Again, convienent, but really the only way the whole "by faith alone" thing could be true.

"knowing in my heart", that's belief, not knowledge.

Knowledge relies on proof, you have to be able to prove something to know it.

If you want to claim knowledge over the existence of God then please, feel free. But I will laugh at you for it. Anyone that is not agnostic should be locked up in a rubber roam and the key thrown away because they are not mentally stable.

"knowing in my heart", that's belief, not knowledge.

Knowledge relies on proof, you have to be able to prove something to know it.

If you want to claim knowledge over the existence of God then please, feel free. But I will laugh at you for it. Anyone that is not agnostic should be locked up in a rubber roam and the key thrown away because they are not mentally stable.

It's a bit late to threaten to laugh at me isnt it after that rant? :detect:

The bible teaches that by faith alone will you get into heaven.
See, I have zero problem with faith.

If you have faith in God and believe that faith will lead you to heaven then more power to you. It's when you start supporting that faith with "evidence" that contradicts science that I have a problem. Faith doesn't require evidence, in fact evidence is the enemy of faith, faith requires a complete lack of evidence else you're acting on reason.

If you want to say that you believe in God, there's nothing to support that belief other than the bible, but you've got faith in it and that faith will lead you to heaven then I'll take my hat off to you.

I don't understand how anyone can act on faith alone, but I'll respect it. Until they start supplementing that faith with pseudoscience that contradicts everything that science teaches.

I have more respect for the people that turn around and say that dinosaur fossils are put on this earth as a test of faith than those that try to explain them away in quotes in the bible about monsters.

I'll say what I want.. calling someone on here as "dumb as f**k - not that it was aimed at me - is against VT rules as far as I know. I suspect done whilst a mod is not looking or chooses not to look.

Therefore I would point the finger elsewhere when complaining of posts doing people no favours.

I was not chanting religious rhetoric neither, I was merely pointing out what Chindie was recounting against religion - is in fact entirely in keeping with Bible prophecy.

Calling someone "dumb as f**k" has nothing to do with me. I asked you to please stop preaching and got this shitty attitude in response.

You were chanting religious rhetoric. It's as plain as day. I'm sorry you cannot distinguish that. Quoting and retorting scripture and telling people that they'll find out it's true with veiled vindictiveness is exactly that.

Now you're just being incredulous.

Â