• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Milners not on the bench but neither is Heskey!

Yes he is but Luke Young isn't.

According to the OS he isn't!

21.15pm - The match has kicked-off. The Villa team is as follows: Guzan, Beye, Cuellar, Dunne, Warnock, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Downing, Albrighton, Young, Agbonlahor. Subs: Friedel, Clark, Shorey, Davies, Sidwell, Carew, Weimann, Delfouneso [CB].

however - he's come on in the 2nd half!!!!!

Doubts growing over James Milner's Manchester City deal as talks with Aston Villa drag on

There were growing concerns on Saturday night that James Milner’s proposed move to Manchester City could collapse because of an impasse over price, after another week went by with Aston Villa and City still no closer to agreeing on a fee.

By Sandy Macaskill in the Algarve

Published: 11:13PM BST 31 Jul 2010

In the dark: Martin O'Neill (centre) admits he is unsure where James Milner will be playing his football next season Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Sources close to the deal have admitted that the protracted nature of negotiations is becoming increasingly exasperating, for despite the season being two weeks away no one seems to be any the wiser over where Milner will be playing.

“Who knows what might happen in the foreseeable future,” Martin O’Neill said. “I’m not even sure myself.”

With everyone in the dark there is a danger of reading too much into the most insignificant of matters, but it certainly seemed symbolic when it emerged that there was not enough room for Steve Sidwell, Luke Young, Milner, and Nicky Shorey (another of those out of favour), to join O’Neill in the dugout during Saturday night’s 3-1 against Feyenoord in Vila Real de Santo Antonio in Portugal.

On such a humid evening it seemed strange to think of the four players as being stuck out in the cold, and it was doubtless unintentional, but O’Neill’s decision to leave both Milner and Young out of the squad entirely for the club’s first fixture of the Guadiana Trophy despite both being fit to play was indeed revealing. It suggests that O’Neill remains confident a deal over Milner can be struck with City.

Discussions with City continued last week but the two clubs remain some way apart in the valuations of the player, with the pace of negotiations is frustrating all concerned. Villa are understandably anxious.

It is clear that after two summers of fairly unrestrained spending O’Neill is being required to work within tighter constraints, and he had hoped that Young’s proposed move to Liverpool would have freed up £2.5 million, but the player decided against the move because of personal reasons.

O’Neill is similarly hopeful that Sidwell will complete his anticipated £3 million move to Fulham, but the Villa manager has accepted that Mark Hughes’ arrival at Craven Cottage could have thrown a spanner in the works.

“I think that situation is certainly still very much in the balance,” O’Neill said. “With a new manager coming in it might be different. I don’t know if that will make things happen more quickly or not.”

The protracted Milner negotiations, and the failure to move peripheral players on more briskly, could mean that Villa miss out on Aiden McGeady.

Spartak Moscow are understood to have bid in excess of £9 million for the Celtic winger, and although Villa sources suggest that O’Neill’s interest in the player is serious, it is likely that they will be unable to compete in a price war unless Milner’s deal goes through.

Clicky

MANCHESTER CITY will step up their pursuit of James Milner this week.

They plan to approach Aston Villa with a new set of proposals, despite refusing to meet Martin O'Neill's £30million asking price.

Their current bid stands at £20m plus add-ons which could take it up to £24m, but they are now willing to go as high as £25m with extras.

City are prepared to start negotiations all over again if Villa are interested in a part-exchange deal involving a number of their disenchanted players, including Stephen Ireland, Nedum Onuoha, Wayne Bridge and Micah Richards.

Milner, 24, earns a comparatively modest £35,000-a-week at the Midlands club but City's wage offer of £80,000-a-week is not that much more than what Villa are willing to pay him if he decides to sign a new contract.

Roberto Mancini's side are prepared to walk away from the deal if a compromise cannot be reached, which could potentially leave the door open for Tottenham to try their luck.

clicky

Milner dismayed as Villa decline to budge on £30m price tag for City switch

ames Milner is growing increasingly frustrated at being left in limbo over his future, with Aston Villa and Manchester City deadlocked over a deal.

Milner, at Villa’s Guadiana Cup training camp in the Algarve, is said to be annoyed that the two clubs’ valuations of the player are still way apart.

Villa are holding out for £30million, while City have yet to return with an improved offer after their opening bid of £20m was rejected.

Speaking from Portugal, Martin O’Neill suggested last night that he was leaving chairman Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner to conduct negotiations.

‘I think there is some sort of dialogue going on,’ said the manager. ‘Who knows what might happen in the foreseeable future? The answer is I’m not sure myself.’

clicky

Its all up in the air imo.

AND ITS VERY BORING NOW!

NOTW reports Man City are coming in again this week at 25mill plus a player!

What a load of monkey spunk.

Why would they go from 18mill with 2mill add ons to 25mill PLUS a player?

:lol:

I'd settle for that, I'd like it to be their young right back/ centre back Onuoha even though many would probably prefer the straight replacement of Stephen Ireland. We will see if this Milner saga comes to end soon I suppose.

but it certainly seemed symbolic when it emerged that there was not enough room for Steve Sidwell, Luke Young, Milner, and Nicky Shorey (another of those out of favour), to join O’Neill in the dugout during Saturday night’s 3-1 against Feyenoord in Vila Real de Santo Antonio in Portugal
Sidwell did very well to score the third then, seeing as he wasn't even on th bench. Tip top journalism.

What a load of monkey spunk.

Why would they go from 18mill with 2mill add ons to 25mill PLUS a player?

:lol:

Why the smiley?

but it certainly seemed symbolic when it emerged that there was not enough room for Steve Sidwell, Luke Young, Milner, and Nicky Shorey (another of those out of favour), to join O’Neill in the dugout during Saturday night’s 3-1 against Feyenoord in Vila Real de Santo Antonio in Portugal
Sidwell did very well to score the third then, seeing as he wasn't even on th bench. Tip top journalism.

I think he means there wasn't physically room in the dugout. Ie Sidwell was a sub but the dugout was too small for all our subs.

This is turning out to be the best game of poker ive seen!

Problem is, the Mancs have the anti and the options whilst we are stuck with some bad cards.

There are two ways out of this:-

1. We cave in like a prostitute for the right price, then suffer the consequences later, or........

2, We stick by our guns, add to the squad, have a decent season, and persude the lad to sign a new contract!

Option two will need investment though, so its in Randies court.

Latest news about Milner missing the Feyenoord match, is that he's injured with a slight back problem and Luke Young has a thigh strain.

He'll miss the match agianst Benfica aswell.

that is rather convenient!

My thoughts also. Add the fact that Randy and Paul Faulkner have flown out there, then could we be in for an interesting week?