• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We have received an offer from Manchester City for James Milner and this has been firmly rejected," said a Villa spokesman late on Wednesday.

"We plan to sit down with James and his representative after the World Cup to agree a new long-term deal and this remains our position."

Not much to read.. but thought I'd post it on here to keep the topic updated.

Like everything, it's ultimately the players decision. I think Jimmy's head is screwed on enough to realise he has the potential, eventually, to move to a proper football club, with class, history and a genuine chance of maintaining status at the highest level, not some phase at a second rate football club.

Aston Villa have turned down Manchester City's £20m bid for their England international James Milner.

"We have received an offer from Manchester City for James Milner and this has been firmly rejected," said a Villa spokesman late on Wednesday.

"We plan to sit down with James and his representative after the World Cup to agree a new long-term deal and this remains our position."

The 24-year-old midfielder was recently named PFA Young Player of the Year.

Leeds-born Milner, who joined Villa from Newcastle for £12m in 2008, is halfway through a four-year deal.

Villa owner Randy Lerner said last week the club will do "everything" in their power to ensure Milner stays.

Premier League and FA Cup Double winners Chelsea and Manchester United have also been linked with Milner, though United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has talked of this summer's transfer market as being "very difficult".

Villa have secured Europa Cup football for next season having finished runners-up to Manchester United in the Carling Cup final and will not want to lose another influential midfielder to City following the departure of Gareth Barry for £12m last season.

City, funded by the deep pockets of Abu Dhabi-based owner Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, are close to signing Germany international defender Jerome Boateng from Hamburg for £11m.

More signings are expected this summer as City push for a coveted Champions League spot having just missed out to Tottenham this season.

Milner has been in a rich vein of form this season, helping Villa finish sixth in the Premier League and reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup, since O'Neill switched him from wide midfield to a more central position.

He has also become a regular in the England squad under Fabio Capello, and is widely tipped to be part of the 23-man squad for the World Cup in South Africa.

If City, who will also play in the Europa League next season, do sign Milner it will then boost their contingent of "homegrown" footballers as required by new Premier League rules.

At the end of the August transfer window Premier League clubs are required to include eight homegrown footballers in a 25-man squad.

Just wish we had signed him up to a new contract before he went off with the England squad.

City fan here.

A couple of pages ago, one of your guys made me laugh for referring to United as 'having class'. After gaining a huge investment from a rapist (who knowingly sold poisonous meat to children) then later a Peeping Tom, they consistently bribed the families of young players they were interested in while breaking the transfer record in every single position on the pitch, then became a nomad club with no connection to their local area, sold themselves to the public on the Stock Market, then got bought by a bunch of leeches. During this time, they have been accused and charged of tapping up players on numerous different occasions, have a manager who always talks openly about other teams players, and display the type of arrogance as a club and as fans that you would expect from Pepe Le Pew.

We, on the other hand, have been taken over by a very rich man, who has brought the club back to the community, has just announced a £1bn investment into the downtrodden area of East Manchester which will revitalise the economy, have consistently given 'freebies' to fans such as the Fan Days, the cheapened ticket prices, and the sorting out of some annoying things such as a sheltered/heated Ticket Office.

May I suggest that you watch this interview with our Chairman before deciding that we are all a bunch of bastards, because we have had the cheek to bid for an exciting, young, English player who we think we may be able to attract with the lure of greater prospects of future success?

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Interviews/Chairman-exclusive

This was recorded the day after the Spurs game by the way.

exciting, young, English player who we think we may be able to attract with the lure of greater prospects of future success?

This was supposed to happen last season as well.

If there is any attraction, it is for £££.

£20 million. Lets get real here. Even if this is an attractive offer for a Aston Villa we must play this smartly. Manchester City have the footballing worlds largest disposable income. I don't want James Milner to leave and football makes me very angry with all of this money floating about but we must stick to the task of milking Man City for every penny they are willing to pay. Joleon Lescott £24 million

Ideally though, I'd prefer it if Lerner just told Shitty to Pash Off!

We made a huge jump last season in terms of success. We went from 10th to 5th and only missed out on fourth in the last week of the season. We went to the Semis of the Carling Cup, and were beaten by a last minute goal. We scored more goals, gained more points and played better football than we have done since the 70's.

City are a work in progress, sure. Nobody can expect to put a team together and win everything, but I think we did pretty well for a team that has been together for a few months and changed manager mid season. We aren't there yet, but everybody from the Chairman to the fans believes that it will happen for us soon, and are determined to do their best to make it happen.

Mancini has identified a player that he feels will vastly improve the team and will fit into his plans, therefore City have made a bid to the club to get him. We haven't tapped him up, we haven't done anything stupid, we've just bid for a player. Don't forget that we were the club that MON was praising in the way that we went about the Barry transfer last season, and nobody really knew anything until it went on your OS. Moyes' problem was that Hughes didn't ring him to ask if Lescott was available, which I find a little daft, as surely the Chairman should be contacting each other about it, which is exactly what happened.

I dont see milner leaving this summer infact i see him signing a big deal with villa and some fresh faces coming in to show we are still in the mix.

Milner likes being in a stable team.

Man city is not stable i mean how much time did they give mark hughes.

I can see villa doing the same to man city like they did to liverpool with barry! so i have no worry about this milner will be here next season.

You seem a little defensive, Damocles.

Nah, I actually read VT quite regularly and rarely comment on the anti-City stuff that gets thrown around, but that remark about United being 'full of class' unlike City made me post. It was one of those moments when you thought "Wait, is this guy serious?"

City fan here.

A couple of pages ago, one of your guys made me laugh for referring to United as 'having class'. After gaining a huge investment from a rapist (who knowingly sold poisonous meat to children) then later a Peeping Tom, they consistently bribed the families of young players they were interested in while breaking the transfer record in every single position on the pitch, then became a nomad club with no connection to their local area, sold themselves to the public on the Stock Market, then got bought by a bunch of leeches. During this time, they have been accused and charged of tapping up players on numerous different occasions, have a manager who always talks openly about other teams players, and display the type of arrogance as a club and as fans that you would expect from Pepe Le Pew.

We, on the other hand, have been taken over by a very rich man, who has brought the club back to the community, has just announced a £1bn investment into the downtrodden area of East Manchester which will revitalise the economy, have consistently given 'freebies' to fans such as the Fan Days, the cheapened ticket prices, and the sorting out of some annoying things such as a sheltered/heated Ticket Office.

May I suggest that you watch this interview with our Chairman before deciding that we are all a bunch of bastards, because we have had the cheek to bid for an exciting, young, English player who we think we may be able to attract with the lure of greater prospects of future success?

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Interviews/Chairman-exclusive

This was recorded the day after the Spurs game by the way.

I personally view Man U as a class side in the way that they are consistently building a squad of youth and experience combined and have challenged for the title year after year for a while now.

The years of having youngsters like Scholes, the Neville bros, Beckham etc..

I think that Man City are "class" about as much as I think that winning the lottery is "class".

Man City are the equivalent of a tramp who found a pound in the kerb and then won the lottery.