• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I got to re-emphasise that I really love Milner and want him to stay.

However, I just think people are going a little over the top on how good he actually has been.

There were times this season (March - May especially) when he was superb, no doubt about it.

But there were a hell of a lot of games, especially Nov - Feb, when a lot of people on here were saying "He looks tired" "He isn't a central midfielder, we should put him in place of Downing and bring back NRC".

I think Villa fans have got involved in the hype at the moment.

He is good, he has been exceptional. But he certainly hasn't been great (remember even the players gave Player of the Year to Dunne) , he scored 12 , but how many from open play, there must be a fair few pens and free kicks in that lot.

He hasn't been as "free flowing" and "game changing" as some say he has been. Remember, we had the lowest goals out of the top 10 virtually, and a hell of a lot of those goals were either created by Young, or came from set pieces.

I want him to stay , of course, but if we raped someone for the cash, there is certainly better out there. Remember, Alonso went to Madrid for less than we are talking for Milner.

Is Milner as good as Alonso ? no , in fact, at this moment (and this is contraversial) he isn't even as good as Barry !

For the record, Jeffers has just been released by Sheffield Wednesday after a truly awful spell with them.

Cheers

Sheff Wed it must have been then.

However, goes to show, just because you win YPotY, doesn't mean you are going to be top class. I bet people can come up with other gems as winners.

Presumably why they have tended to give the Young player and the Player of the year to the same person recently

Carrick was excellent for 2 seasons but the past year he hasn't got a look in and all the United fans I know (alot, too many) say he's been really poor,

I mean each to their own but do I want a player who is 29 before next season starts who hasn't been in very good form who also wouldn't fit into our team unless a replacement for Petrov or James Milner, current young player of the year who Capello described as "his future" who United and City want it seems and is producing the best football of his career. Tough one.

For the record, Jeffers has just been released by Sheffield Wednesday after a truly awful spell with them.

Cheers

Sheff Wed it must have been then.

However, goes to show, just because you win YPotY, doesn't mean you are going to be top class. I bet people can come up with other gems as winners.

Presumably why they have tended to give the Young player and the Player of the year to the same person recently

Francis Jeffers has never won PFA Young player of the year :lol:

Infact the worst 4 in the last 24 years have been:

Jermaine Jenas, Scott Parker, Harry Kewell, Craig Bellamy.

Parker, Kewell, Bellamy though you could say have had very good and successful careers.

Paul, why are you waffling on about ypoty? Who's claiming that as anything other than what it is? You said Milner is better than Carrick. I think you're wrong. And now you're saying he isnt better than Barry and I think you're wrong there too. Based on the season just gone anyway.

Nothing to do with hype, just facts and opinions.

Jeffers must have got the football writers then, he certainly got one of them.

When did Jenas get it ? , can't remember that one. The whole award is a bit of a joke anyway.

The young player of the year was only 3 months younger than the player of the year ! - and neither of them are young !.

Give it a few years and Lee Hendrie will be in with a shout !! :D

Also stop comparing Milner to Alonso, Barry, Carrick.

They are different players for Godness sake. Might aswell compare Ashley Young to Carlos Tevez.

Not really. Milner, Carrick and Alonso are all central midfielders after all. They might slightly differ how they play but still, they play in more or less the same positions.

Completly different players. Again, I didn't see anyone comparing say Makelele and Lampard?

Carrick, Alonso, Barry are all midfielders who sit deep, getting the ball and like to retain possesion and use the ball. These 3 should be compared to Petrov.

Milner is an attacking midfielder who gets forward, looks to create and score goals. Milner should be compared to the likes of Ireland, Lampard etc..

What I am "waffling about" is, I am trying to say, but you won't let it lie - that selling Milner for 30m (or 25m plus a player) or 20m plus a better player - may not be the end of the world.

Now I chose Carrick and Hargreaves, as they will definately be available.

But Ireland could be another, so could Parker, so could Huddlestone - or whoever.

I personally think Stephen Ireland is as good as Milner, so do many Man City fans who cant understand why he isn't being played.

Now if we got 30m for Milner, and used that 30m , on players like two of the above, or maybe someone I have missed out , plus used the rest to buy someone like Bellamy - then we could be in a stronger position.

And that is what Spurs and Arsenal did. They sold Berbatov, they sold Adebayor, for over inflated prices - and bought wisely.

And it could be the same for us

You just chose to pick up on one player I said, and then said "he is crap" when the stats, medals, England appearances and club appearances clearly show he isn't crap.

My only spanner in the works on that one, I trust Redknapp and Wenger more in the transfer market than O'Neill - and thus I could just see us wasting 30m on crap like Cole.

Now, personally, here is a name - and this is where I say Villa really should be at the forefront, showing intent.

If Everton have got no money, go and get Stephen Ireland from Man City, Hargreaves on a free (or nominal) from Man U - and go and tempt Everton with a cheeky offer for Fellaini !

Just show us something...... please !!

What I am "waffling about" is, I am trying to say, but you won't let it lie - that selling Milner for 30m (or 25m plus a player) or 20m plus a better player - may not be the end of the world.

Now I chose Carrick and Hargreaves, as they will definately be available.

Paul, what makes you think that a club will give you 20M plus a player who is better than the one they want from you? Also if Carrick is better than Milner what makes you think he will definitely be available and why would Manure want to replace him with someone who is not as good?

If Everton have got no money, go and get Stephen Ireland from Man City, Hargreaves on a free (or nominal) from Man U - and go and tempt Everton with a cheeky offer for Fellaini !

Just show us something...... please !!

Everton paid 15 million for Fellaini, I think it will take a pretty large "cheeky offer" to get him.

Completly different players. Again, I didn't see anyone comparing say Makelele and Lampard?

Carrick, Alonso, Barry are all midfielders who sit deep, getting the ball and like to retain possesion and use the ball. These 3 should be compared to Petrov.

Milner is an attacking midfielder who gets forward, looks to create and score goals. Milner should be compared to the likes of Ireland, Lampard etc..

Milner isnt just an attacking midfielder though is he? He's a box to box midfielder. He does as much Lampards job as Barrys although to varying degrees of success. Its also a reason he's so good. Because he's so versatile.

Sometimes a player is a better fit in a system than the player being offered in return. Sometimes a player has less on his contract making him less valuable than he might otherwise be. Sometimes a player falls out with a manager or his team and needs to move on, or his wife fancies a move, or he needs a change in direction. There are many reasons why players might swap, where the selling team seems to be getting the better deal. Ireland is a case in point. By all accounts, Citeh don't want him any more. This makes a potentially brilliant midfielder very gettable and probably at a comparitively knock-down price. I can't honestly believe that people in here don't genuinely know why players might be cheaper than a similarly skilled player. We are the seller so we hold more of the cards than the buying club. They want OUR player so they need to satisfy us in order to get him. If that means taking a hit on a player that might on another day be more expensive then so be it. Shit happens.

Paul: Nice to see you avoid the fact you lied about Jeffers winning PFA Young player of the Year?

What do you mean by Box to box because in that case so is Lampard, Ireland etc...these players don't just attack and then leave others to do the defensive work, they also tuck back in and defend.

You just chose to pick up on one player I said, and then said "he is crap" when the stats, medals, England appearances and club appearances clearly show he isn't crap.

No I didnt. And to be honest, its hard to keep track of what it is you're saying but forgive me as I dont post here much anymore and I'm not used to some of the characters here.

But what you were saying is that Carrick was as good as or better than Milner. I'm just not having it.

And the stats back me up by the way. What do you want to compare? Assists, ratings? goals? You name it. But dont use Man Utds trophy haul because thats not Carrick alone is it? He had a bit of help from some of the worlds best players.

And for the last time, I didn't say he was Crap. OK.?

And please, Stephen Ireland is better than Milner now? I'm losing track of all these players that are better then Milner. Its a miracle he's got the acclaim he has had then.

I do rate Ireland by the way. He'd be a good addition to our team alongside Milner.