Are we 'just' one world class player away from the top?

paddy

How far away are we from being top 4 regulars and challenging for the title  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How far away are we from being top 4 regulars and challenging for the title

• Just one world class player
    • One world class player and a few better players than we already have
    • Two world class players
    • Two world class players and a few better players than we already have
    • Just a few more decent players should do it
    • Even the above options wouldn't get us to that level
    • The squad is good enough it just needs to raise its game

I just sumbitted a match report for the Cup Final and stated that were one world clas player off benig a legit top four team!!

What do you mean by world class? :winkold:

Specifically i said a forward/attacking mid who can drive centrally at defences, who can commit players and take men on at speed, someone with speed, skill, guile and verve. I think we have the other 'types' of forwards in our squad already. Someone who gets the ball and goes to goal, a direct player, but one with skill who can actually make defenders scared when running, and this player has to be able to do it centrally as we have players out wide to do it. when i heard the W. Sneider rumors he ticked all my boxes, although not a traditional Center forward. If not him a Christian Vieri type power player to drive at the heart of the back four.

Take Rooney, Drogba, Torres, out of their respective teams and the squad you're left with isn't significantly better than ours. After that it comes down to experience. The majority of players in the 'top 4' have bags of experience at the top level. I don't think many are technically or physically better than our lads, but they handle pressure better. We will get there in time but a couple of players bought in with that experience will give us a massive boost both on the pitch and in the dressing rooms.

I have put down the team that would do it. We are not far off though.

GK Friedel is top 4 quality, he's like a rock in goal even at 39.

LDF Warnock is top 4 quality.

RDF Young is top 4 quality. He needs to play more games.

CDF Dunne is top 4 quality, he should be captain.

CDF Cuellar is top 4 quality.

RMF A Young will be top 4 quality.

LMF Downing will be top 4 quality.

CMF WE NEED A NEW DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER TO REPLACE PETROV.

CMF Milner is top 4 quality and should stay in that position.

ST Gabby will be top 4 quality, his game improves year on year

ST WE DESPERATELY DESPERATELY NEED A NEW STRIKER.

The rest:

Guzan will be a solid back-up keeper and good enough in 2 seasons.

Beye wont be around for a great deal longer but he is solid. WE NEED TO REPLACE WITH A YOUNGER PLAYER.

Collins is a top-half quality defender but not top 6. Is backup.

Bouma wont be around a great deal longer. WE NEED TO REPLACE WITH A YOUNGER PLAYER.

Osbourne is not good enough.

Reo-Coker will leave in the summer, 90% guaranteed.

Sidwell is not good enough. REPLACE

Delph will be a good attacking midfielder one day but I'd give him 3 years.

Albrighton will be a good winger but needs more game time out on loan.

Delfouneso will be a good striker one day but maybe his chance will come next season.

Heskey is not good enough. REPLACE

Carew looks like he can't be bothered anymore. REPLACE.

So we need a new expensive striker plus two backups who are slightly better than what we have, plus a new defensive midfielder who really controls the game and doesn't go missing like Petrov, and possibly a backup who is better than Sidwell and offers more. Two new fullbacks for the future are also important but not yet.

So this summer getting a striker is an absolute priority if we are to progress. We may also need to look at the centre of midfield as Petrov simply does not cut it for me.

Specifically i said a forward/attacking mid who can drive centrally at defences, who can commit players and take men on at speed, someone with speed, skill, guile and verve. I think we have the other 'types' of forwards in our squad already. Someone who gets the ball and goes to goal, a direct player, but one with skill who can actually make defenders scared when running, and this player has to be able to do it centrally as we have players out wide to do it.

Big call I know but I can see Delfouneso being this player.

A top striker.

Job done.

I still think we lack quality at times in central midfield, maybe more so with the way we play rather than the personnel in there. No good having a top striker if the quality of balls isn't good enough as the second half showed yesterday.

We do lack having more play through the middle. A CM and Striker for me.

RDF Young is top 4 quality. He needs to play more games.

Hmm. does that mean that MON thinks:-

RDF Cuellar is title winner quality.

;)

Yeah good one, the reason why MON chooses Cuellar over him is a mystery, in some games it makes sense but others not. I wondered whether it was just to accomodate Collins (who IMO is not good enough for a regular first team place, he makes too many mistakes). I guess MON is the manager, its his call etc etc, but we will lose Luke Young at this rate, he ain't gonna want to stick around to be a benchwarmer.

Cant believe he plays Cuellar instead Young.

Cant see us attracting top players unless we qualify for CL, but i think we're only 2 top players from being right up there.

Well it's qualify for CL or blow a huge amount of cash on one. Tevez was easily persuaded to move once the pay packet was big enough.

While we don't necessarily want someone purely motivated by money... but it might be the only way. Tevez clearly went there for money but it's not like he can't motivate himself to play for them (but then Robinho couldn't)

As I posted in one of the other threads..IMHO MON needs to find a proper partner upfront for Gabby and we'll be a really decent team.

I want some of the youngsters to get their chance too!

As I posted in one of the other threads..IMHO MON needs to find a proper partner upfront for Gabby and we'll be a really decent team.

we need a lurking around the box type like huntelaar and a top class cm who can tackle,pass and shoot like van der vaart

top class cm who can tackle,pass and shoot like van der vaart

Looks at James Milner.