The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I think he will call it a day, he has nothing to prove and nothing to achieve and I would imagine he has done well enough to earn a decent living. More to the point he seems sharp enough to have made sure he put plenty away and as you say he comes across as the sort who could go and do any one of many things with himself so I think he will especially as he admitted himself the feet aren't moving the way they were.

Malignaggi is shit and that fight against Khan proved nothing we already didnt know. All this bollocks in the building that we were going to see a 'new' Malignaggi, he's got a new trainer, he's a different fighter. Very little difference from when he got battered by Hatton, he can take a punch, but he can't throw one. The guys a word removed. You'd think a guy with a mouth as big as his would be able to back it up at least!

He'd probably argue that having been World Champion, he could. There is no shame in being beaten by Ricky Hatton, he was an exceptionally good fighter. It's looking more and more likely that Amir Khan is pretty handy too.

Malignaggi is shit and that fight against Khan proved nothing we already didnt know. All this bollocks in the building that we were going to see a 'new' Malignaggi, he's got a new trainer, he's a different fighter. Very little difference from when he got battered by Hatton, he can take a punch, but he can't throw one. The guys a word removed. You'd think a guy with a mouth as big as his would be able to back it up at least!

Yep, how DARE a fighter lose to a world class fighter? That's the problem with casuals & even most proper boxing fans. A loss automatically means you're shit. I guess Calzaghe & Finito Lopez are the two of the best fighters ever? I have to laugh when people on the internet call fighters 'shit.' If they're so shite then why don't you box, do a better job of it & make millions of dollars? I guess you know him personally as well then to call him a word removed? Nah, thought not.

Can't say there is a single bit of the above I agree with.

"he can take a punch, but he can't throw one"

Even that?

"he can take a punch, but he can't throw one"

Even that?

He can't agree with any of it, so judging by that, looks like he reckons Malignaggi's got a punch in his locker, which he hasn't!

Guys a muppet, runs his mouth no end before fights to build them up, then ends up on the end of a beating. Most of the top end fighters he's come up against just end up ramming all that shit talk back down his little throat.

Yep, how DARE a fighter lose to a world class fighter? That's the problem with casuals & even most proper boxing fans. A loss automatically means you're shit. I guess Calzaghe & Finito Lopez are the two of the best fighters ever? I have to laugh when people on the internet call fighters 'shit.' If they're so shite then why don't you box, do a better job of it & make millions of dollars? I guess you know him personally as well then to call him a word removed? Nah, thought not.

Christ, will you listen to yourself, you think you're some kind of oracle where boxing is concerned.

Upcoming Fights

May 20 Vic Darchynian - Eric Barcelona

May 22 Israel Vazquez - Rafael Marquez

May 22 Abner Mares - Yonnhy Perez

May 22 Ruslan Chagaev - Kali Meehan

May 22 Angel Hernandez - Peter Manfredo

May 28 Eric Lucas - Librado Andrade

May 29 Vitali Klitschko - Albert Sosnowski

June 5 Miguel Cotto - Yuri Foreman

June 5 Sebastian Sylvester - Roman Karmazin

June 5 Steve Cunningham - Troy Ross

June 11 Paul McCloskey - Giuseppe Lauri

June 11 David Lemieux - Elvin Ayala

June 19 Andre Ward - Allan Green

June 26 Julo Cesar Chavez Jr - John Duddy

July 31 Juan Manuel Marquez - Juan Diaz

John Murray took a few moments out of his holiday to speak to us about the weekend's action. Murray, the current British and European lightweight boss, kept a close eye on the Michael Katsidis versus Kevin Mitchell WBO interim title fight and although unhappy to see his fellow Brit stopped in three rounds the Mancunian fighter maintains that Michael ‘The Great’ did not meet the best 135lb fighter in the UK.

“First off, I'd like to commiserate with Kevin”, stressed Murray, “because he stepped up to the plate against a quality fighter and has had a really good twelve months. There is no shame to losing to someone like Katsidis but I feel that the people who say Michael beat the best lightweight in Britain are wide of the mark.

“Not many fighters go the traditional route these days but I've gone through the British and European ranks and feel that I am the best lightweight in the UK based on my achievements at the weight. I’ve won the WBC Youth title, the English title, the British belt, I’m European champion, a Boxing Writer’s Young Fighter of the Year winner and have broken into The Ring and the WBO lightweight top ten. As soon as the ref waved the fight off on Saturday, I took over from Kevin as the boxer with the longest unbeaten streak in the British game.”

He continued: “Kevin is a quality fighter, don't get me wrong, but he looked small against Katsidis. To beat Michael, you need to be able to take the fight to him and match him for strength - I can do that. It is annoying because I've seen my countryman lose but it is even more annoying to see Michael come over here and go 2-0 over British boys in his own boxing version of the Ashes! Katsidis is a warrior and the true test of that is putting yourself on the line by going overseas to the other guy's backyard, Michael has done that in recent years and came to the UK and stopped [Graham] Earl and now Mitchell - I want to end that run of success against British fighters.”

Indeed, Murray, who won the EBU title with an eleventh-round TKO of Gary Buckland earlier this month, is keen to take Michael on due to the fact that Katsidis is currently on a winning streak and performing at his very best. Furthermore, John, 25, feels that people have prematurely written him off as a European level boxer; he feels that he will prove himself more than a match for Katsidis if given the chance.

“This is the perfect time to fight Katsidis”, claimed the 29-0 (17 early) fighter, “as he is on a roll and in the form of his life. I'd love to hand him a defeat when he's on a run like this because no one could pour cold water over a win like that. Listen, people say that I'm a European level fighter but I just need a chance to prove that claim wrong and what better way to do it than by fighting, and beating, Michael.

“Katsidis is a brilliant fighter but he lost his only real world title attempt against [Juan] Diaz [for the IBO title] and also lost when he stepped up against [Joel] Casamayor. Holding the interim title is a great thing but everyone wants to be a proper champion and Michael hasn't had that feeling yet, he has lost convincingly at the top level, so why shouldn't I fancy myself in a fight with him?”

Still, Mitchell strongly believed that he was in with a shot against Katsidis, now 27-2 (22 KOs). Murray, though, believes that his natural fighting ability, coupled with a lack of fear, would present Katsidis with more than he could handle. The Murray ‘Machine’ is also adamant that he would travel to Australia if required.

“I'm under no illusions”, continued Murray, “and I know that Michael will be looking for the winner of Marquez-Diaz but he's been messed about by Marquez before so could find himself waiting for months for his next fight. We both like to have a scrap and keep ourselves busy so why doesn't Katsidis try to scalp another British fighter? I'd travel to his backyard for the fight and wouldn't care if Crocodile Dundee was the ref and the judges were Russell Crowe, Harold Bishop and Skippy the Bush Kangaroo - I just want the chance to prove myself and feel that Mike did not fight the best lightweight in Europe.”

Mitchell is another option should the Katsidis fight not prove obtainable; however, Murray feels that Kevin has to consolidate and rebuild after Saturday's defeat. “I like and respect Kevin but there must be something wrong if he couldn't prepare properly for this type of chance,” admitted Murray.

“I'd love this type of chance and learned in my fight with [Youssef] Al Hamidi that you can't play at this sport and have any distractions going into a fight. I was messed about for that fight and it affected my performance so I told myself it would never happen again. Kevin had a home title fight in a massive stadium in front of his passionate fans but did not prepare properly, there is no excuse for that and it wouldn't happen to me,” swore the Mancunian.

“I am desperate for a chance like the one Kevin had so there would be no half-measures. Katsidis loves to fight, I love to fight. I'm not hard to find, Michael knows his way around the UK by now and spoke about fighting me earlier this year. He may not know much about me at the moment but he has already spoken my name and come the final bell, he'll know what the Murray machine is all about - let's just meet in phone booth and see who is the last man standing!"

Murray has 90 days to accommodate Ukraine's Andriy Kudriavtsev; he is sure that he can defend his EBU title and then be ready for a fight with Katsidis should Michael fail in his quest to meet Marquez or Diaz.

“I won't overlook my responsibilities as European champion”, promised Murray, “Kudriavtsev withdrew from negotiations for our last fight because he was feeling poorly; he'll feel even worse after I've got my hands on him! As for Michael, I respect him so much and am desperate to show my critics that I can step up if given the chance.

“Katsidis keeps duffing our lads up. The Australians love nothing more than beating the Brits, well we've got an Aussie scalp of our own with Ricky Hatton's rough win over Kostya Tszyu and I'm confident that I can give Katsidis the type of fight Ricky gave Kostya, and there would be only one winner - the interim title would be coming home to the UK and Michael 'The Great' would have to find another country to terrorise!”

Here’s a piece of good news to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

As part of efforts to agree on a November 13 fight, Manny Pacquiao said he is amenable to undergo random drug and urine testing 14 days before the fight.

“As long as they’re not getting a large amount of blood, I am willing to give out blood as close to two weeks before the fight,” Pacquiao told the Bulletin late Wednesday night during a lull in shooting a Ginebra commercial in Makati.

Pacquiao said he will not hesitate to be tested provided that the amount to be taken would be minimal, noted the 31-year-old fighter, gesturing with his pointer and index fingers a measurement equivalent to a short syringe.

Pacquiao and Mayweather had agreed in principle to face off but a last-minute demand by Mayweather for Olympic-style testing did not augur well with Pacquiao’s handlers, saying they would not be bullied into accepting his seemingly-outlandish terms.

Pacquiao narrated the incident during the first fight with Erik Morales in March 2005 when a large amount was taken from him on the eve of the fight that he eventually lost by unanimous decision.

“I felt very weak after they got the blood,” said Pacquiao, motioning with his fingers once again the size of the syringe that was used in extracting blood from his arm.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao, has his schedule all figured out: Congress in the daytime and gym in the afternoon.

Pacquiao said he can handle the role of being fighter and lawmaker and that “time management” is the key to getting things done.

“I will attend sessions in the morning until afternoon then I go to the gym around 4 or 5 p.m.,” said Pacquiao, who will take his oath as congressman of Sarangani on June 30.

“I will stay in the country during training camp then with two weeks before the fight, I will fly to the US,” said Pacquiao, stressing that during his absence, his staff will assume his countless responsibilities.

As in previous training camps, there would still be the usual early-morning roadwork then gym work in the afternoon, according to the reigning World Boxing Organization welterweight king.

“Nothing’s going to change as far as my training is concerned even though I am now a congressman because I will carefully map out my schedule. I will still wake up early becauseI have to run in the morning.”

The past few days, Pacquiao has been busy consulting with his political advisers so he can easily adjust to his new role by July.

Next month, Pacquiao will leave for New York to personally receive the Fighter of the Year award – his third – that will be given out by the Boxing Writers Association of America.

“I am truly honored by this award that I am about to receive,” said Pacquiao, whose trophy chest also includes numerous plaques and trophies given by the Philippine Sportswriters Association, the oldest media organization in the country that carefully tracked the boxer’s rise to fame and fortune.

About **** time as well. Lets hope he doesn't change his mind again

Former WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch will consider retirement if he loses his upcoming fight with Arthur Abraham. They clash in August/September in the third stage of Showtime's Super Six Boxing Classic. Froch is returning from the first loss of his pro career. Last month he was decisioned by Mikkel Kessler.

"The next fight is all or nothing for me. If it doesn't go my way I will seriously consider retirement because I'm only interested in big title fights. I won't hang around at domestic level," Froch told The Sun.

Froch still wants the Abraham fight to take place in his hometown of Nottingham. Abraham and his promoters want it to happen in Germany. Froch once again made a threat to withdraw from the Super Six if the Abraham fight is held in Germany.

"I'm only going to fight on my terms - and I won't be pushed around this time. The home-town decisions in this competition have been a disgrace so I am not going to Berlin because there's no chance of getting a verdict. I won't be going anywhere east of Nottingham to fight Abraham and it won't be in Showtime's interests for me to pull out," Froch said.

There's a certain irony to Froch complaining about a hometown decision when Kessler beat him fair and square right after the fight where Froch got a homer

I was watching some videos of him not long ago. Looks like one for the future. I haven't seen any videos of him and Khan though.

It's not out there in the public yet, the photographer who took that shot up there is the one who says he's got it on tape & will release it at some point. Not sure if I believe it tbh, sparring is generally banned from being taped or released ( if Khan did indeed take a pasting then I can't see that being allowed out)

Upcoming Fights

May 20 Vic Darchynian - Eric Barcelona

May 22 Israel Vazquez - Rafael Marquez

May 22 Abner Mares - Yonnhy Perez

May 22 Ruslan Chagaev - Kali Meehan

May 22 Angel Hernandez - Peter Manfredo

May 28 Eric Lucas - Librado Andrade

May 29 Vitali Klitschko - Albert Sosnowski

June 5 Miguel Cotto - Yuri Foreman

June 5 Sebastian Sylvester - Roman Karmazin

June 5 Steve Cunningham - Troy Ross

June 11 Paul McCloskey - Giuseppe Lauri