The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I think Fury is and always has been extremely overrated. He does have very good footwork and a very good jab, but he has a very dodgy chin, not much power and cannot throw a good shot with his right hand, he's extremely one handed. On top of that his much vaunted 'inside' fighting skills have only ever been demonstrated against extremely low level opposition. He never once, for instance, got in on Klitschko. 

When you take these points and add to the fact that he spent 3 years on the sidelines eating himself into obesity and snorting Colombia's supply of gear, I would not bet on him to be victorious over either Wilder and Joshua and would fully expect either of them to knock him out cold within 10 rounds.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Would agree he is very limited. He is good at circling out of the way and not getting hit and sticking a jab in peoples faces but for his size & weight he has no real power. Sure he could KO your average bloke in the street with one punch but unfortunately for him that isn't who he is fighting. If he had the one punch KO power of Wilder (or possibly even AJ) he would be very, very difficult to beat but the big hitters should just be able to walk through his shots with no real fear and spark him out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Would agree he is very limited. He is good at circling out of the way and not getting hit and sticking a jab in peoples faces but for his size & weight he has no real power. Sure he could KO your average bloke in the street with one punch but unfortunately for him that isn't who he is fighting. If he had the one punch KO power of Wilder (or possibly even AJ) he would be very, very difficult to beat but the big hitters should just be able to walk through his shots with no real fear and spark him out.

Very much so. He doesn't have the technique to throw a good right hand, just watch the Klitschko fight to see that get exposed. Very good jab, half decent left hook, that's his only weapons. Wilder clips him with a straight right and sleeps him as far as I'm concerned, and this is more of a possibility if Fury ever switches southpaw against him, as everyone knows, the straight right hand is the punch against a southpaw.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Rumour has it there is a two way rematch clause in place for that fight which to me suggests Wilder is very confident that Fury is basically a bum these days. Two easy pay days for him. And gives him a convenient reason not to fight AJ in April too. 

Whyte-Chisora II will likely happen December. Hats off to Dillian, a rare boxer who walks the talk and just wants to fight anyone and everyone. 

I agree Joshua-Whyte II has all the makings of an upset. 

Edited by West

8 hours ago, KHV said:

I was a little concerned how easily and often Povetkin got through early on

You're talking about an ex Olympic, gold medalist whose probably been boxing since he was eating rusks. Joshua came to boxing relatively late, yet, as achieved more than he could of ever dreamed of. He has his haters, but social media breeds them like rabbits. For me, it's credit where it's due. 

I agree he didn't have it all his own way and that's why I mentioned the importance of composure, I'm reminded of the Authur Ashe, quote, that Mike Tyson had tattooed on his arm, " grace under pressure "' . Rodger Federer has it in abundance, and I was impressed with how Joshua dealt with those moments of pressure in the fight, and some credit must be given to Robert McCracken, who, for me, is the finest trainer in the country, even if he's a blue nose. He goes about his business very quietly and let's his fighters take the limelight. What he's done for the Great Britain, boxing team, is a credit to the nation IMO .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West said:

Rumour has it there is a two way rematch clause in place for that fight which to me suggests Wilder is very confident that Fury is basically a bum these days. Two easy pay days for him. And gives him a convenient reason not to fight AJ in April too. 

lol it's not clear that he's the one who has been looking for reasons not to make the fight. Both camps have been up to a lot of bullshit. 

21 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

lol it's not clear that he's the one who has been looking for reasons not to make the fight. Both camps have been up to a lot of bullshit. 

Of course there are always stumbling blocks both ways. But we have to go by the pure facts, Joshua has reeled off top ranked guys much earlier in his career. Wilder, with 40 odd fights under his belt, is still yet to really have any one of note on his résumé. Ortiz was half decent but then he is around 50 years old. Wilder does not want this fight IMO. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

If only it was as easy as it sounds. I remember Chris Byrd, who wasn't the biggest heavyweight or a known banger, but I remember him boxing the head off Klitschko and destroying his confidence for quite a while. That's what Fury does , asserts his mental strength over his opponents as he did to such great effect in Germany. He never looks uncomfortable inside them ropes he's always got that anticipation button pressed on. The self - belief he possesses is probably his major strength and that cannot be underestimated.

As for him being chinny, lbh, the times he has been dropped he was never concussed, more embarrassed. For me, that's not chinny, that's being careless, for which he does have a tendency. Could Wilder knock him out ? Anyone with that punching power you would have to say yes, but equally, Fury could give him a boxing lesson. One things for sure, it will be the biggest test of Wilder's career.

Edited by sheepyvillian

20 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I Hope Whyte gets the April fight & think he will beat him this time. He was a little to inexperienced & angry first time round but he has improved a lot since then & the war against Chisora seems to have done him the world of good confidence wise.

The same dilian whyte that got hurt by the weak punches Joseph Parker? If there was one more round Parker would have won I think as whyte was really hurt.

AJ would win that one. Would rather see another year up with chisora 

Â