General Chat

Stevo985

mam around here, I've stuck with mum.

On a slightly different note, the English Defence League have a meeting / march in Cardiff today, they are meeting at an Irish pub at 11:45am

Now I'm not claiming to be bang up to date on EDL politics or geography or anything for that matter. But I did presume that was just a poor joke when i first heard of it, but it turns out to be true.

I guess they are there to complain about the mosque with red seats and a retractable roof.

I find it more funny that the ENGLISH defence league are marching in Wales

• Like 1

Considering that most of the american usage of words was based on language of chaucerian english etc, Mom has been the "short" version for mother for many years. The use of it by West Midlander (black country, brummies etc) harks back to old days. You have to remember that the west midlands accents were very different pre industrial revolution and changed to the more rounded etc in order that people could be understood over loud noises.

People with west midlands accents when talking to foreigners in business often are complemented for how they can be understood, as opposed to phlegm induced scouse, short wave radio geordies and wa-wa-wa cocker-knees

• Like 1

Is it fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I thought that as a UKIP voter you'd want to save our British spellings? ;)

I laughed but mom predates mum

boom-o.gif

People with west midlands accents when talking to foreigners in business often are complemented for how they can be understood, as opposed to phlegm induced scouse, short wave radio geordies and wa-wa-wa cocker-knees

Come to think of it, I agree :)

Mum sounds like a shortening of mutha. Sometimes I hear a Brummie accent and think they sound like a thick, uncouth clearing in the woods. Then I realise that's how I sound to non-Brummies.  :(

Don't bring politics into this thread as well you shit stirring scroteski :wave:

Don't bring politics into this thread as well you shit stirring scroteski :wave:

:P

I'm surprised you don't say mother :D

I find that a bit too formal.

Â