General Chat

Stevo985

I should sign on but I have a thing against taking money that I didn't earn. I felt terribly guilty when I got my ema back in school, so much so I just refused to get in in the second year.

I'm a peculiar person.

As someone said earlier, one of the main reasons you ought to sign on is for NI credits.

Even though when you come to retire you'll probably have to wait until you're 142 and you'll only get £1 a decade, you'll still require a certain number of full years contributions.

I haven't worked for 5 years, I'm not 'lazy' it's just circumstances. I'm generally happy, I'm a stay at home Dad atm, but I still feel guilty at times for not 'pulling my weight'.

Do you have a 'other half' that works?

Yes, Jellybean's a qualified carer, so she brings home the bacon. It's a bit arse about face with me being at home and her at work, but it works.

I haven't worked for 5 years, I'm not 'lazy' it's just circumstances. I'm generally happy, I'm a stay at home Dad atm, but I still feel guilty at times for not 'pulling my weight'.

staying at home with a small kid is a job in itself!

harder than going to work in most cases.

Is that the voice of experience talking?

It's not easy, especially recovering from an operation at the same time, but tbh, I find it easier than a regular job.

The only trouble with it is, I've started to sound like my Mom. You know the 'stop leaving your clothes lying around' and 'I've only just wiped those sides' kind of comments. I'll have to be careful, otherwise I might turn into a ghey.

I found the Job Centre an absolute shambles when I had to deal with them a couple of years ago. They treated me like an idiot and their idea of helping me find a job that suited me was suggesting that I work in a meat factory every time I saw them. If I ever find myself in the position where I am out of work I will sign on immediately and play their games, but they can't help you find a job.

When I was made redundant about 15 months ago the DWP sent me on a course to get a fork lift truck licence. Gave me something to do but didn't really fit in with my career asperations as I've been an operations manager for many years. I suppose they can put me in their figures of people retrained for work. Registered as a sole trader now and do project management work on a contract basis.

So that's what he's up to

They say money can't buy happiness. They're wrong.

At least up to a point.

People's emotional well-being — happiness — increases along with their income up to about $75,000, researchers report in Tuesday's edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

For folks making less than that, said Angus Deaton, an economist at the Center for Health and Wellbeing at Princeton University, "Stuff is so in your face it's hard to be happy. It interferes with your enjoyment."

Deaton and Daniel Kahneman reviewed surveys of 450,000 Americans conducted in 2008 and 2009 for the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index that included questions on people's day-to-day happiness and their overall life satisfaction.

Happiness got better as income rose but the effect leveled out at $75,000, Deaton said. On the other hand, their overall sense of success or well-being continued to rise as their earnings grew beyond that point.

"Giving people more income beyond 75K is not going to do much for their daily mood ... but it is going to make them feel they have a better life," Deaton said in an interview.

Not surprisingly, someone who moves from a $100,000-a-year job to one paying $200,000 realizes an improved sense of success. That doesn't necessarily mean they are happier day to day, Deaton said.

The results were similar for other measures, Deaton said. For example, people were really happier on weekends, but their deeper sense of well-being didn't change.

Kahneman, a Nobel Prize winning psychologist, and Deaton undertook the study to learn more about economic growth and policy.

Some have questioned the value of growth to individuals, and Deaton said they were far from definitively resolving that question.

But he added, "Working on this paper has brought me a lot of emotional well-being. As an economist I tend to think money is good for you, and am pleased to find some evidence for that."

Overall, the researchers said, "as in other studies of well-being, we found that most people were quite happy and satisfied with their lives."

Comparing their life-satisfaction results with those of other countries, the researchers said the United States ranked ninth after the Scandinavian countries, Canada, the Netherlands, Switzerland and New Zealand.

The research was supported by the Gallup Organization and the National Institute on Aging.

From today's classified ads in my local newspaper (search for "For the ladies" in the Business/Financial classifieds):

FOR THE LADIES: Small-bore rifler [sp? --LR] instruction by certified instructor. Rifles and ammunition experienced teacher. No cost. One-on-one. Private range. Dedicated first and foremost to teaching firearms safety. Call Paul 863-9182

It's not easy, especially recovering from an operation at the same time, but tbh, I find it easier than a regular job.

The only trouble with it is, I've started to sound like my Mom. You know the 'stop leaving your clothes lying around' and 'I've only just wiped those sides' kind of comments. I'll have to be careful, otherwise I might turn into a ghey.

I was a househusband for nearly 15 years, and I'm the least ghey person in the world. So you'll be fine ;-)

So that's what he's up to, Part II

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a small Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger and damage the war effort.

Gen. David Petraeus said the Taliban would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Hundreds of Afghans attended a demonstration in Kabul on Monday to protest the plans of Florida pastor Terry Jones, who has said he will burn copies of Islam's holy book to mark the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Afghan protesters chanted "death to America," and speakers called on the U.S. to withdraw its troops. Some protesters threw rocks at a passing military convoy.

I was a househusband for nearly 15 years, and I'm the least ghey person in the world. So you'll be fine ;-)

15 years, no wonder you look so old ;)

15 years, no wonder you look so old ;)

Thought I looked quite good for 58 :-(

Alton Towers tommorow, wooooooo. 7.15 tommorow gotta leave though daaamn. 12 of us.

All summer holidays, I've done feck all! Now going out friday, saturday, next saturday. fifa tournament couple nights ago. alton towers, villa with mates next sat. All happening. Just as it gets good, everyone goes to Uni!

typical.

Â