General Chat

Stevo985

So do people on here not want kids? For me it's one of the things I want most. I want at least one son, I'd love the challenge of raising a kid, the relationship I have with my Dad is probably what makes me want to have a kid for similar relationship, Watches me play football every week, watch the football together etc...

Chip sarnies at this time are king.

I raise you a bacon, sausage and egg filled soda with brown sauce.

Long night ahead with assingments...gota get those engery levels up.

It has to be HP though.....right?

Yes, everyone romantacises about having the perfect kids, to do all these lovely things like watch the footie together..slag off the Blues etc.

But in reality - the little bastards are monsters.

I'd probably change my mind when I'm older, but I can't see myself having kids or being married.

Just ain't the life for me.

Also part of the reason I'm avoiding relationships like the plague for a few years until I successfully escape the country :P

I agree, part of the reason why I don't like drinking in Belfast.

To end up with a Belfast girl for the rest of your life would be...well...heart breaking. :D:lol:

So do people on here not want kids? For me it's one of the things I want most. I want at least one son, I'd love the challenge of raising a kid, the relationship I have with my Dad is probably what makes me want to have a kid for similar relationship, Watches me play football every week, watch the football together etc...

Right now I'd probably say no.

Partially because I'm just not a child person. I can deal with them if they're smart and attentive and well behaved. But that only really becomes de riguer when they're older.

Partially because I just don't think I have particularly nurturing instincts.

Partially because I like my independence. I would love to share that with a 'soul mate', but right now I can't see myself wanting to impact on that with a child.

And partially because I have the suspicion that bringing a child into the world as things stand isn't a particularly good idea. We do need to have less children as a species, generally. And some of the horrors that they could face I don't really want to inflict on anyone without having the necessity to. The world isn't a nice place.

Then again I'm only 21, theres a lot of time for things to change and, well, mistakes to be made, or for people to change my mind or for me to see the appeal more over. Who knows what a good woman might do to me. And who knows, one day I might decide that it's better for humanity if theres some counter balance to the low end of society (struggled for a way to say that isn't quite so nasty... still can't really. You know what I mean, 5 kids, 5 different fathers, not the sharpest, never achieved anyting and never will type) pumping out kids.

Had this discussion with a mate of mine the other night and his conclusion is effectively the last paragraph. Reckons the educated elite need to have children for the betterment of society.

Ive got a 2 and a half year old girl that i love to bits, but i dont like spending too much time with other peoples kids.

5 years ago theres no way i could see myself with a kid, now im pretty much a house husband, for one reason or another and i love it (most of the time anyway :)).

Even I got in a few fights, and as I said in the "Before the Internet" thread, I was a total nerd. My dad taught me to stand up to bullies (and in those days they didn't carry knives and guns).

What difference would the knives or guns make?

I've stared down a few gunmen in my time (had a couple of sawed-off shotguns in your face when the packie ("package store" aka "liquor store" aka "off licence") one works at is robbed at various points) and it's not really any different than dealing with another bully.

Even I got in a few fights, and as I said in the "Before the Internet" thread, I was a total nerd. My dad taught me to stand up to bullies (and in those days they didn't carry knives and guns).

I've stared down a few gunmen in my time (had a couple of sawed-off shotguns in your face when the packie ("package store" aka "liquor store" aka "off licence") one works at is robbed at various points) and it's not really any different than dealing with another bully.

I've had a shotgun pointed at me in jest by a girlfriends father and that shit me up. My dad also had a gun pointed at him years ago while working for the council out of hours in a dodgy part of the city, and didn't much like it either.

I think in this country we're (rightly) not terribly used to guns and it's a sobering and frightening experience to be confronted with one. Same goes somewhat for knives - I don't particularly want to get stabbed.

Major :?, A bully could punch you in the face as opposed to blowing your face off your head.

I think that the point that Levi was making was that if one stands up to bullies then one generally stands up to bullies and what they are packing is part of the circumstances rather than a decision maker.

Major :?, A bully could punch you in the face as opposed to blowing your face off your head.

By and large, a bully won't follow-through with the threat, therefore whatever they're packing isn't really of much consequence.

Of course, the question of whether the individual with a gun in your face is a bully or not is a critical one ;)

Snowy also makes a very good point.

Â