General Chat

Stevo985

Isn't it interesting how Steveo hasn't posted for a few days but 'Jenny' has returned?

Sorry, I've been busy training for the winter olympics.

Nope. You do seem to go missing the days that Bayern have a game though  :detect:

Isn't it interesting how Steveo hasn't posted for a few days but 'Jenny' has returned?

Sorry, I've been busy training for the winter olympics.

Nope. You do seem to go missing the days that Bayern have a game though  :detect:

That's because filming for The Transporter 4 is always on the same day as Bayern games.

• Like 3

What do you do for a living? , maybe we could swap for a bit!

Accounting.

Yeah let's swap. I promise accounting is definitely as exciting as snowboarding.

Ah er..numbers..offices...Nah.

I was hoping you were a lion tamer or something

Accounting.

Yeah let's swap. I promise accounting is definitely as exciting as snowboarding.

I pulled a girl in Magaluf this year by telling her I was a dolphin trainer.

Will that work on you?

(that poor girl was so excited abotu coming to birmingham and swimming with the dolphins)

• Like 3

Accounting.

Will that work on you?

(that poor girl was so excited abotu coming to birmingham and swimming with the dolphins)

Hero

Please don't judge me by my posh accent

Ben_Fogle__1__2512643j.jpg

By Ben Fogle

12:58PM GMT 16 Dec 2013

comments.gif3 Comments

I once asked the series producer of Castaway, the show where I began my career, why he had chosen me as one of the volunteers for the BBC television experiment that saw 36 men, women and children marooned on a deserted island for a year.

Everyone else seemed comparatively over-qualified for island living and community building, with a wealth of practical vocational skills: they were butchers, slaughtermen, teachers, farmers, doctors and, well, me? With a smile, a 2:2 degree and the singular culinary ability to make pasta and pesto, what was I bringing to the party? "It was because you were posh," came the producer's frank reply, "and we thought you'd wind everyone up and annoy people."

Now, I like honest answers, but that one has bothered me ever since. Are all posh people annoying? And just how posh am I anyway? How do you define "poshness"?

The popularity of Channel 4's scripted reality show, Made in Chelsea, has renewed the media's interest in "posh", but what does it mean today? I had always associated being posh with the old-school landed gentry and nobility. Then, in the late Nineties, around the time I was heading to my remote Scottlish island, we saw the rise of the "celebrity posh", thanks to the hard-partying antics of "it" girls such as Tara Palmer-Tompkinson and Lady Victoria Hervey, who arguably didn't endear the population to their posh ilk.

I went to a private boarding school and have a posh sounding voice, but is that enough to make me posh? Privileged, certainly, but we often muddle the two. Although its exact origins are disputed, the word "posh" comes from an old maritime term, "Port Out Starboard Home", which were the favoured cabin sides for the wealthy who could afford the best views of land while travelling the world on luxury liners. According to the Oxford English Dictionary it means someone from the "upper classes", or aristocracy.

Both my parents were hard working - my mother an actress and my father a vet, neither of which would be described as "posh" careers. They worked long hours and made financial sacrifices in order to send me to a private school, for which I will always be indebted to them. My grandparents on both sides would be better described as working-class folk (grandpa was a florist and my other grandpa a local estate agent in Brighton).

In this country we tend to make sweeping assumptions about people based on their accents. What will surprise many people is that I didn't always sound like this. Indeed, up until the age of 14 it had a mid Atlantic/Canadian twang, until it was flattened into something non-descript at boarding school.

It was after several years living overseas in Latin America that my current accent was born. I have a theory that people who live abroad often exaggerate their heritage. You begin craving tea and Marmite (even if you never touched the things back at home) and you become more, well, British. Even my parents were surprised to hear the change in my speaking voice on my return.

That was more than 22 years ago and I'm stuck with this accent now. When I first started out in television, following my year on Castaway, I was told I would never succeed in the media with a posh accent. Drop the RP or give up, I was told on more than one occasion. It was even suggested I hire a vocal coach for de-elocution classes to make me talk more proper, like.

Over the years, "posh" people have tended to be stereotyped by the media for entertainment purposes, from Lord Brocket on I'm a Celebrity to Lord Blandford and the F---ing Fulfords to Steph and Dom Parker on Channel 4's Gogglebox. They have become pantomime caricatures of moneyed (or landed) buffoonery, to be sneered at by the masses. The stereotype reached its zenith with Made in Chelsea, which is now on its sixth series, showing that the public hasn't tired of laughing at the silly posh people just yet.

Julian Fellowes caused controversy a few years ago after claiming that "poshism is the last acceptable form of discrimination" in this country, and he has a point. James Blunt has suffered years of "posh bashing" despite selling millions of records, and Hollywood darlings Benedict Cumberbatch and Damian Lewis have both described their labelling as "predictable".

At a charity event recently I overheard someone pointing to comedian Alexander Armstrong and asking if it was the "posh bloke from the telly"? I guess "posh" is an easy generalisation to make, but it's so sweeping. Surely in 2013 there is more to someone than their accent and the school they attended several dozen years ago?

I'm still acutely aware of my accent and my education and, to be honest, they have been one of the driving forces behind some of the physical challenges I have attempted over the years. I've wanted to prove that accent and schooling are only skin deep, and what counts is the person beneath. The assumptions we make about people's accents and backgrounds are often, and I've spent 15 years trying to overcome the posh stereotyping.

But then along comes another series of Made in Chelsea, and it seems we're still all cads spending daddy's money on champagne and parties.

Maybe I'll see that de-elocution teacher after all, innit.

I love the way he thinks that an estate agent is working class. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

That's why I bought clippers. Always hated trips to the barbers, never have to do it again. 

Or just grow dreadlocks, that's always an option.

Although I shave the sides and back of my head so I think that makes me a semi-hypocrite or something, I don't know.

That's why I bought clippers. Always hated trips to the barbers, never have to do it again. 

Or just grow dreadlocks, that's always an option.

Although I shave the sides and back of my head so I think that makes me a semi-hypocrite or something, I don't know.

Ah, dreadlocks on white people, the great taboo. 

Doesn't it involve, erm... not washing your hair?  :huh:

Accounting.

Will that work on you?

rr9b.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, dreadlocks on white people, the great taboo. 

If it's good enough for Faye from Steps it's good enough for anyone

vevo_t_white-people-dreads-10102012.jpeg

I'm breaking half a taboo or half a taboo breaker anyway..that makes me feel both a little bit dangerous but incompetent that I'm only doing half a job.

Doesn't it involve, erm... not washing your hair?  :huh:

Haha no, you can use stuff like this -

dread_044.jpg

OneBeerBen...

That's my name, don't wear it out.

People with names referencing drinking are idiots.

• Like 1

Â