Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well given that Spurs often use Bale to cross it to Crouch's head and down to an on-rushing striker/midfielder, I don't think it's unreasonable to count the amount of times Bale has done that, given that only Crouch would get the assist. I know it slightly stretches the credit of a goal but I'd say Bale's job in that scenario is a lot harder than Crouch's task of simply cushioning a pinpoint cross. I'd say key pass is a good description for one that leads to an assist - though not in the case of all assists.

think he means under key passes wehre he is behind Gerrard and Milner. Not sure what a key pass indicates

They changed the name a few weeks ago. For the past 2 seasons it's been called "chances created." It's the same system used for totalling assists (ie the last past), only the player who gets the chance misses.

Bale has yet to play a full season at a consistant brilliant level. Not even surpassed Young's 07-08 season.

Exactly.

But because Spurs fans have a tendancy to hype up their players (as do the media), it doesn't really get noticed. Bale wasn't even that good at the start of 2010, it was only the last quater of the season where he showed up.

Bale has a long way to go to compare with Young's 07/08 season (and even the start of the 08/09 season).

It helps Bale that he's a quick, flashy, player (like Adam Johnson). The way he plays excites, thugh he's actually had very little output in Premier League games (not unlike Johnson).

Bale has yet to play a full season at a consistant brilliant level. Not even surpassed Young's 07-08 season.

Exactly.

But because Spurs fans have a tendancy to hype up their players (as do the media), it doesn't really get noticed. Bale wasn't even that good at the start of 2010, it was only the last quater of the season where he showed up.

Bale has a long way to go to compare with Young's 07/08 season (and even the start of the 08/09 season).

It helps Bale that he's a quick, flashy, player (like Adam Johnson). The way he plays excites, thugh he's actually had very little output in Premier League games (not unlike Johnson).

It's not Spurs fans suddenly hyping him up. It's the media and fans of other teams. He's played well in high profile games such as the 2 legs against Inter and the Chelsea and Arsenal games at the end of last season. This has brought him to the attention of a wider audience and really just shows how little football experts and fans alike actually watch. The truth is, no matter how much football messageboards posters claim to watch (and therefore claim knowledge of players in foreign leagues etc), most of the time we really only watch the team we support. Hence non SPurs fans are claiming Bale has only recently been on form or that he's inconsistent in the Prem. Spurs fan know that he's been brilliant since January and incredibly consistent. I've mentioned before that yahoo took the average rating per agme given by each of the major newspapers last season and Bale came top. That's ahead of Malouda, Drogba and Lampard. That illustrates the level of consistency he displayed after getting into the team. Yet he's only now getting all this hype, as he's scored some goals and set up a couple in big games. Spurs fans didn't need this to tell us how good he is.

Also he's not just quick and flashy his work rate is extraordinary. The amount of challenges he puts in and distance he runs in a game is incredible. Some flashy runs resulting in goals have caught the eye of the media and non Spurs fans. But those aren't the things that made him our best player in the second half of last season.

Exactly.

Snip.

Personally, I think he's a great player but like Ashley Young, to compare him to Messi/Ronaldo is laughable. I pointed out, it's only from the games I've watched and that includes Villa where I think he's quite predictable and hasn't ever in his career produced world class form. Top class form, which In my opinion, is one of the better performers in his position in the Premiership but not world class.

I agree it's not Spurs fans hyping him up, it's everyone, I just think it's sad that this player is being compared to players who are scoring and creating goals every single game of the year and have so many different parts to their game which I think Bale still lacks.

Don't get me wrong, class but he rarely does anything else than use his pace to go down the left of someone and I think defenders like Luke Young who didn't really give him much of a sniff coped onto that and he wasn't really that effective. He'll still do a couple of good crosses, some good runs etc...but don't see how it's much different from when Ashley Young burst on the scene, cut onto his right and delivered ball after ball of perfect delivery. Admittedly, Bale has done it on a much bigger stage but I think those games suit him when opposition come at Spurs, gives him space to run into.

We were commenting on him last year on how good he was, so it's not some against Bale thing, I do realise what a very good player he is, just not as good as people like Villa are making upto be, saying he's on par with Messi etc...

I said he hasn't produced a full season of consistant, world class performances and he hasn't.

I'm not arguing he's top class, more world class, which he isn't.

To be fair I think Bale is showing world class form and certainly warrants the praise he's getting. If anything, he's received too much bad press in the past, when he had that record at Spurs, it was clear that he was a very good talent.

Will be surprised if he's still at Spurs come this time next season.

Man City, Chelsea, Inter, Real will all be very interested in him. It's just whether he is a money grabbing judas like Milner and Barry. Bale doesn't seem to be one of them kind of players, but could still happen.

I hate Spurs as much as anyone, but let's not pretend that Bale isn't a very very good player who we would all worship if he was a Villa player.

Shocking dive by Jenas against Inter - rightly booked.

Good to see Spurs get over 33k vs Inter after they had over 1500 unsold tickets in their first CL home group match.

You have to allocate tickets to the away side. We sold our allocation for both away games and home games.

Twente had a sizeable away following and any tickets they didn't sell (talking hundreds) were sold on to Tottenham fans.

You had a number of empty seats in the West Stand and Paxton Upper.

To be fair I think Bale is showing world class form and certainly warrants the praise he's getting. If anything, he's received too much bad press in the past, when he had that record at Spurs, it was clear that he was a very good talent.

Man City, Chelsea, Inter, Real will all be very interested in him. It's just whether he is a money grabbing judas like Milner and Barry. Bale doesn't seem to be one of them kind of players, but could still happen.

I hate Spurs as much as anyone, but let's not pretend that Bale isn't a very very good player who we would all worship if he was a Villa player.

Course you want him at Villa but there is no way he's close to Ronaldo or Messi as some people have stated in the press.

I don't think he's a patch on Messi or Ronaldo either. The trouble is now he's played so well in high profile games, people who don't watch him every week think he does things like that every week and thus when he doesn't they say he's off form. His last 2 league games have by most players standards been good, yet to read football forums you'd think he was terrible. Games like those against Inter aren't a true reflection of Bale, they were standout performances. But his normal level is still very good, only now when he plays at that level it's seen as inconsistent. It's just not possible for a player to perform at the level he did against Inter every week. The idea the Phil Neville contained him is laughable, yet I've read so many times he had Bale in his pocket. If he doesn't do something dazzling, then he's seen as having a poor game, which isn't fair as his main job is to create chances. If a team sits deeper and double up on him, he can't stretch them with his pace and thus has to rely on movement and good delivery. But against Utd, Keane was so off the pace, Bale didn't have a target and thus it was said he was ineffective. The Utd fans even criticised Modric who was easily the best CM on the pitch, but again, he was limited with what he could do with the ball. It's a big problem for us. We have to play VDV, so will only have 1 striker and non of ours are in the least bit suited to playing that role. All we seem to be able to do is hit Crouch and hope he can play it into the path of VDV. If Bale runs from the half way line it's okay as our strikers have plenty of time to get into the box, as we saw with Crouch and Pav's goals against Inter. But this isn't going to happen that often. I truely believe our midfield, though getting praised, is even better than most people think. We just have so many quality creative players who are trying to provide service to 3 of the most physically inept strikers around.

Good to see Spurs get over 33k vs Inter after they had over 1500 unsold tickets in their first CL home group match.

You have to allocate tickets to the away side. We sold our allocation for both away games and home games.

Twente had a sizeable away following and any tickets they didn't sell (talking hundreds) were sold on to Tottenham fans.

There were no tickest available. I know people who tried and couldn't get them.

Course you want him at Villa but there is no way he's close to Ronaldo or Messi as some people have stated in the press.

Agreed but from what I've read, the papers didn't say that. They said the performances against Inter were Ronaldo or Messi quality performances and to be honest, I'd have to agree with them.

I'm not saying he's as good as Messi or Ronaldo, but he had a brilliant game and see no reason why he shouldn't be praised for that.

Agreed but from what I've read, the papers didn't say that. They said the performances against Inter were Ronaldo or Messi quality performances and to be honest, I'd have to agree with them.

I'm not saying he's as good as Messi or Ronaldo, but he had a brilliant game and see no reason why he shouldn't be praised for that.

He did, but I'm just saying, Villa the Argentinian former Spurs player said he's on that level, as I've heard a couple other say it too, that's over hyped.

He was brilliant though. To be one of the best in the world, you have to do that almost on a regular basis.

Not to say he's inconsistant but to be world class, you need to be that good 80% of the time, not say 10% of the time, and the other 90% you are performing very good.

which isn't really a criticism to normal players. Most would love to be very good most of the time!

There were no tickest available. I know people who tried and couldn't get them.

There were tickets left in the West Stand and Paxton Upper.

The South Stand was sold out. How else do you explain the difference of over 1500 tickets between the Twente and Inter games?

Â