Running

trimandson

I'm torn as to whether I should run tonight.

I want to do a short run (3-4 miles), but my leg is hurting from Tuesday's run so worried I migth damage it.

What do people think? Should I do a short run and take it easy, "run it off" if you will? Or should I just stay home and rest it?

That's the spirit.

Here are some of my thoughts on running injury, from a piece I did for our club newsletter:

They say there are only three types of runner: those who are injured, those who have been injured, and those who are going to be injured.

We’ve all been there; it’s a pain, literally and figuratively. And do we always “do the right thing”? Do we heck as like.

Tim Noakes in “The Lore Of Running” (ISBN 978-0873229593 - an excellent book – if you can afford it!) says there are four stages in an athlete’s typical response to injury

1. Denial: At first, the athlete refuses to accept that the injury has occurred and simply denies its possibility.

2. Anger (rage): When the injury can no longer be denied, the athlete becomes enraged and blames either the doctor, a spouse, or some third party for the injury. Occasionally, athletes will blame their bodies for this betrayal and may even subject it to further abuse, for example, by continuing to run.

3. Depression: When denial and rage no longer work, the athlete moves on to the (penultimate) stage of depression.

4. Acceptance: Finally, the athlete learns to accept the injury and to modify ambition to accommodate the inadequacies of the mortal body. When this occurs, the athlete is likely to be over the injury.

Sound familiar? It does to me. Based upon several years of exhaustive scientific research in the Hall Park CC bar, I have produced a more refined version of the above – The Horsforth Harrier’s typical response to injury:

1. Our typical Harrier – let’s call him “Mike” – picks up a “twinge”. This “twinge” could consist of anything from a stubbed toe to a suspected multiple fracture. This is really good news. Mike can now run with his usual group on Tuesday, and moan all the way round about the injury, thus giving him a ready-made excuse for a less-than-sparkling performance in his next race. Of course, he won’t be able to resist the urge to burn it up with one of his drinking buddies in a madcap race back to the clubhouse, thus aggravating the injury.

2. As the pain is now worse, Mike decides he’d better take it easy and skip his solo runs between one Tuesday and the next, and medicate the pain with alcohol and pizza (highly effective, according to some sources).

3. The following Tuesday, he simply repeats Stage 1, dropping out after three miles and limping back to the clubhouse, where over several medicinal beers he asks everyone if they’ve had similar symptoms, in order to get a medical diagnosis. This continues until he finds someone who tells him that it’s nothing, and it’s OK to run through it.

4. Not wishing to waste the £7.50 he has invested in the prestigious “Upper Grimsdale Slagheap 10K (and Fun Run)” he drives forty miles to some Godforsaken rain-sodden mill town, takes a massive 1.75 seconds off his PB, and aggravates the injury still further.

5. Now incapable of running, he dejectedly goes to the club on Tuesday, skipping the painful bit and going straight to the drinking and grumbling stage. The advice from the bar-room medics has now switched to a unanimous “Go and see a physio. Here’s the card for the one I use. He’s very good – a bit expensive, mind…”

6. After a sobering look at his bank balance, Mike decides to forego the physio route and try his G.P. Her advice is very helpful: “It hurts when you run, you say? Well stop running then! Now go away, take some paracetamol and stop bothering me…”

7. Now finding it too depressing to go to the club merely to drink and listen to all those blowhards bragging about their latest times, Mike continues with the beer-and-pizza regime, occasionally venturing out to lug his now-increasing girth around an ever shortening circuit, with a gait that is more Long John Silver than Paul Tergat. In desperation, he remortgages the house and goes to see top physio Ron “Hardman” Bullock who performs some painful origami on his leg, and recommends a detailed course of exercises and further visits to his punishment cell (which naturally involves major financial surgery). Other advice includes taking up swimming, cycling and cross-training at the local gym – all about as likely in Mike’s case as transmuting base metal into the square root of minus one.

8. What happens next? Well, I don’t know, “Mike” hasn’t told me. But I understand he’s “dropped down” a couple of groups and can occasionally be seen in the bar on Tuesdays, where there seem to be any number of Harriers with a similar story to tell.

It wasn’t like this in “Tough Of The Track”, I tell you….

Damn all of you and your sensible, logical thinking!

I wouldn't class it as an injury yet, just a twinge, similar to one I've had in my knee for a couple of years, but I don't think that will ever go away. but I suppose if I run tonight I could aggravate it and make it into a full blown injury, so I'd better not.

If Mike is willing to pull out a pre-written article, then it would be rude to ignore the advice :D

Stevo don't you dare run!!! I have too many clients that do this and then they can't run for a month because of it. Just chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill for a day or two. I would say swimming is a good option as well. And per usual, Mike is right.

What about just walking your normal route, rather then running it.

He really should probably rest for a day or so because if anything is inflamed walking that far can still irritate it.

BTW, your icon always messes with me just a little bit. ;P

He really should probably rest for a day or so because if anything is inflamed walking that far can still irritate it.

Messes with YOU? Whatya think it does to US? :lol:

*laughing*

It probably makes your day a little better. :P

*laughing*

His original one was even better, but it got banned.

*laughing*

His original one was even better, but it got banned.

I must have missed that one. :( On the up side *and somewhat back on topic* it's so slow at work today I might leave early and go for a run :)

I ran 5 miles and think I pulled something, really bad! :(

Just kidding ;)

I rested. **** it, 1 missed run won't hurt, especially as I did my 10k ahead of schedule and already beat my target on Tuesday.

I set out for a 6 miler and felt so tired I cut it to 4. Probably unsurprising as I've been averaging 4 hours sleep a night this week, and I'd only had two slices of toast and a small sandwich all day.

Â