Running

trimandson

Where's a good running shop to get a light running jacket?. Of the top of my head I can think of

Sutton runner in Boldmere

opposite Trocadero in Brum CC

Back of Harborne near QE

I've been trying to get to a running shop for about 3 weeks but I never seem to pass one, and I'm driving around Brum every day! I would also like to have my running style analyzed.

I know it's a lousy excuse but I've been putting off running becuase I don't have a running jacket, has anyone been running in this weather without one?

I know I'm going to sound like a showoff here, but unless it's well below zero, I always run in shorts and T-shirt. Not a cotton shirt though - that would be a disaster in the wet, so a technical material. I do have a lightweight showerproof jacket for days when it's extremely windy AND rainy. That was about 30 quid from a local running shop, but you may as well look at some of the online suppliers.

I had to go out of my way but got to Sutton runner today, I got a Nike one for £25, that'll do. Some fluescent ones were £70+, I don't think so!! Didn't get to do the analysis though as I was in a rush :(

Wish I wasn't taking the missus out tonight as I'd love a run.

Secondly, are there any websites where I can "create" a 5 mile route? does that make sense? usually I just run and keep checking but having a pre-planned route would be handy.
Quoted above. MapMyRun.com.

BTW, flourescent/hi-vis reflective jackets (or bibs) are well worth having for road running on dark winter evenings.

Done it, joined local running club and now feel sick with nerves! lol
:thumb::clap: Good man - what club?

If they are anything like mine, there is absolutely no need for nerves.

Any club worth their salt should have groups catering to different abilities and fitness levels. One of the joys of it is moving up through the groups as you improve - and improve, you will.

You do get the odd one that doesn't do it that way - and they end up with few members.

If it by some long shot doesn't work out (and I'd be very surprised), don't be put off running clubs - there may well be another, better, one nearby.

Keep us posted.

My club night tonight, BTW. Looking forward to a good run with good company, as usual.

These :)

I've received a message of support from them, telling me people run at all levels. This will be the firs time I have run in a group since I was 17 and I am excited (but nervous!) I need to get a brand new pair of asics and to do the gait analysis (mainly because of my foot injury, need to make sure my running style was not affected and to see if my foot rolls in too much because of it) they meet every Thursdays which means a compromise as I usually do football training then (and in fact means I cannot start the running till next week which is a shame)

So, very excited but very nervous, I am desperate to be as good as I was before, or as close as and I cannot do it alone, I know that. I'm even bringing out all my old superstitions again, red wrist band on right wrist, wear my running socks on odd feet (left on right, right on left) I guess getting back to what I used to do, I was bound to bring out the superstitions! Now, football tonight so got to get focused on that! :)

An interesting thing happened to me last night....

I set out for a run around 8pm. I was a bit tired from the days events, a little run down (excuse the pun) and not really 'with it'. I've been suffering from depression and although I've been getting better by the day yesterday was a tough one. Not only that, I'd eaten some dodgy chicken from Big Johns only an hour or so earlier. Acid indigestion, bad wind, I knew the tom tits were marching their merry way through my gut. Still I thought, quick easy run to ease the boredom and at least I might sleep.

8.4km and 55 minutes later I stopped.

I didn't check my phone to see how far I'd ran until I finished. Maybe I wouldn't have gone as far. It's not a great time by any stretch, but I felt a hell of a lot more in my legs at the end and knowing I can run the distance (even if I want to shave a good 10 minutes off by may) has given me one hell of a boost.

So maybe my method of just running as far as you feel you can isn't so bad after all. Off out now for another one, my legs feel tip top. Maybe just a light 3 miles though eh.... :)

Cheers dodgy knees. Only 1.6k behind you!

I have this little course now. Each lap is 2.8km and I only really stretched on the third lap. I might consider intervals next time I go for the 8. Easy for one (6m30s) then try and stretch it out for the next kilometre (5m30s). Which will bring me down to 48 minutes. If I can do that regularly then hopefully on race day the adrenalin will bring me closer to my 45 minute target.

I was dead for 3 days after doing that though lol. I am going to try again in a months time and my aim is to beat it and then keep doing that. Yikes!

You will do it without a doubt, the only reason I managed to and manage to is because I believe, it is so important to have that belief you can do it, mind set is so important and that is probably where the vicious circle came from foot injury > can't run > get depressed > don't even try > go back to foot injury as an excuse. Once I got over that hurdle, sounds so pathetic but I felt reborn.

Â