Running

trimandson

Staring this running lark as my other half has entered me in to the great Irish run 10k in April

I havent played sport in 10 years will be 30 when the run is on thats why she put me in for it

I`m 6ft 16 stone dont smoke drink a fair bit not overly fat but over weight I can jog about 2k at the moment but feel like a bag of shit after ....

Anytips??

cant say enough for walking, ive lost 5 stone coz of it

alternate running as far as you can one day with doing a 10 mile walk the next day as fast as you can, thatll increase your lung capacity and make you fitter while not putting the same demands on your body in terms of impact

I'm going to take up running in attempt to get a bit fitter to try to up my game on the footie pitch. I'm really quite unfit and i am meant to be playing CM!

I know i can some times lack motivation so i've signed myself up for the great south run (10 miles i think). I've decided to start slowly and just try jogging for a mile for now. Using that jogwalkrun site i've managed to find a nice route by my house that is just 1.14 miles long. i've got the potential for loads of different routes round by me too so it shouldnt become too boring by doing the same run over and over again.

I think the 1 mile will kill me to start off but we'll see! i'm hoping to run it 3 times a week.

Does this sound like a good plan to start off with to those with the experience?

I'm going to take up running in attempt to get a bit fitter to try to up my game on the footie pitch. I'm really quite unfit and i am meant to be playing CM!

I know i can some times lack motivation so i've signed myself up for the great south run (10 miles i think). I've decided to start slowly and just try jogging for a mile for now. Using that jogwalkrun site i've managed to find a nice route by my house that is just 1.14 miles long. i've got the potential for loads of different routes round by me too so it shouldnt become too boring by doing the same run over and over again.

I think the 1 mile will kill me to start off but we'll see! i'm hoping to run it 3 times a week.

Does this sound like a good plan to start off with to those with the experience?

Yes, it's perfect. Keep us posted.

Leeds Abbey Dash 10K for me this weekend.

what's with all this KM bollocks

our unit of measurement is the mile

so please kindly express your 27 km walk per day as 16.777022190399 miles going forward

Thank you

Who's this "our"? I'm a citizen of Europe. :winkold:

Good work my man.

I have to admit, I've only been photographed once whilst running (last years Birmingham half marathon), and in each of them, I am talking to the lady I was running with.

Sadly, in this years half marathon no photo's can be found of me.

Anyway, back to running - did my normal 3 mile run last night, just over 20 minutes so a decent pace. Felt pretty good to be honest.

Started going for a 10 mile run most Sundays now, exploring area's I haven't been to, is it wrong to sight see while you run?

Found a decent route around Great Barr Park (the old St Margarets hospital) - and found it all very interesting, which is why I raised a thread about it the other week.

Good work my man.

I have to admit, I've only been photographed once whilst running (last years Birmingham half marathon), and in each of them, I am talking to the lady I was running with.

Sadly, in this years half marathon no photo's can be found of me.

Anyway, back to running - did my normal 3 mile run last night, just over 20 minutes so a decent pace. Felt pretty good to be honest.

Started going for a 10 mile run most Sundays now, exploring area's I haven't been to, is it wrong to sight see while you run?

Found a decent route around Great Barr Park (the old St Margarets hospital) - and found it all very interesting, which is why I raised a thread about it the other week.

Nah man, it's all part of the fun! I've seen parts of the Black Country and Derby I never knew existed, it's a good way to take in surroundings for sure.

I never thought I would get addicted to any sort of exercise to be honest. I've never been overweight, always been pretty active, but when I used to go to the gym three times a week, even with the TV's, music on the headphones and lovely lycra clad ladies I still used to find it a chore.

But I genuinely look forward to running. It's doing me really good (from a mental POV as well as physical), Mr.Trim is a good running partner which of course helps, so all in all I'm glad I decided to take it up. Long may it continue.

OK, Simon and Alex, I'm going to bang on about joining a club one more time.

Because however enthused you are right now, it's only a blip compared to the buzz of running with a group - some not as good as you, some better - who are GUARANTEED to take you to another level faster than you would ever do on your own. Not to mention the social craic of having mates with the same enthusiasm.

And the difference between running a race in your charity t-shirt, and running a race in a club vest is unbelievable.

Do it.

And the difference between running a race in your charity t-shirt, and running a race in a club vest is unbelievable.

But your club vest is BLUE - Can't you at least ask for a bit of claret in it as well ?

Yeah, that is a bit of a problem.

I have to do a bit of mental gymnastics to explain to myself that Horforth Harriers blue & white is ENTIRELY different to small heath blue & white.

Context is all.

**** me

im just back from a complete freak of nature walk. 8km in 46 minutes. normally takes me 60-70 to do 9km

Almost nine-minute miling. I know people who run slower than that.

Are you "power-walking"?

Yes, it's perfect. Keep us posted.

well i'm liking my route so far, however i am struggling to do it more than twice a week at the moment. I seem to be so sore afterwards that it takes a fair few days before i feel i can run again Apart from stretching what else can i do to ease the pain?

Â