Running

trimandson

Rev I think if you want to start running more frequently then a pair of decent running shoes is a must. As for running at this time of year and what to wear in the cold I personally go out in a pair of shorts, t shirt, tracky top and a pair of gloves. I knock out 2 - 3 miles until I have really warmed up and got a sweat on and then run past my house and ditch the tracky top and just run in my shorts, t shirt and gloves. It may look a bit strange to some running in shorts and t shirt but still wearing a pair of gloves but for me they are a must in the cold as despite feeling warm and sweating with just a t shirt and shorts without the gloves I would be cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up for my first distance run a few weeks back, the stafford half marathon in March. Training will begin in earnest after christmas but just doing 6 miles once a week and 4 miles once a week until january. 

• Like 1

Rev I think if you want to start running more frequently then a pair of decent running shoes is a must. As for running at this time of year and what to wear in the cold I personally go out in a pair of shorts, t shirt, tracky top and a pair of gloves. I knock out 2 - 3 miles until I have really warmed up and got a sweat on and then run past my house and ditch the tracky top and just run in my shorts, t shirt and gloves. It may look a bit strange to some running in shorts and t shirt but still wearing a pair of gloves but for me they are a must in the cold as despite feeling warm and sweating with just a t shirt and shorts without the gloves I would be cold.

How far are you running?

I find after about an hr when its really cold i’ve gone from starting freezing, warming up then staying warm and then kind of acclimatising and going back to ‘normal’ for the rest of the run.

When it's very cold (i.e. below freezing), I'll go for the tracksters, long sleeved top, possibly a running jacket, hat, gloves. Trouble is, I quite quickly get too hot, and have to remove hat, gloves and jacket. Anything above freezing, it's shorts and t shirt. For racing, it's shorts and club vest, regardless of weather.

How far are you running?

I find after about an hr when its really cold i’ve gone from starting freezing, warming up then staying warm and then kind of acclimatising and going back to ‘normal’ for the rest of the run.

I usually do about 8 miles 3 times a week which takes around 70 minutes. Once I am warm which as I said is usually after around 2-3 miles then I don't cool down and am usually drenched in sweat regardless of how cold it is by the time I finish. I am though one of those people that will start sweating after a few minutes when doing any form of exercise.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

How far are you running?

I usually do about 8 miles 3 times a week which takes around 70 minutes. Once I am warm which as I said is usually after around 2-3 miles then I don't cool down and am usually drenched in sweat regardless of how cold it is by the time I finish. I am though one of those people that will start sweating after a few minutes when doing any form of exercise.

Perhaps its just me then, seems to acclimitise after about and hour and fifteen, very annoying as when i get warm i’m very hot until i level out again.

When in fulk training i run nearly everyday but only going into a race and never huge distances. Been a few weeks without running after doing a number on my achilies and probably wont start again until the new year. Means im working on.building some biking base miles instead.

• 2 weeks later...

heres a question. I play sunday league football but this is more about my running. I find during the early weeks and late weeks i play fine and feel fit, but in the winter months I can barely get about the pitch, I go from looking one of the fittest to one of the slowest, tiredest players out there and I get dropped, it happens every season now

I'm now of the opinion that it must be the ground, my legs seem to turn to led on the heavier muddy pitches, even if theyre not that bad. I only seem to play well on the harder pitches when it is almost like astro turf and you could even get away with wearing trainers.

Anyone know what that's about? I'd love to know so I can work on it

heres a question. I play sunday league football but this is more about my running. I find during the early weeks and late weeks i play fine and feel fit, but in the winter months I can barely get about the pitch, I go from looking one of the fittest to one of the slowest, tiredest players out there and I get dropped, it happens every season now

I'm now of the opinion that it must be the ground, my legs seem to turn to led on the heavier muddy pitches, even if theyre not that bad. I only seem to play well on the harder pitches when it is almost like astro turf and you could even get away with wearing trainers.

Does it coincide with Christmas by any chance?

Could be the cold?

I don't suffer that badly, but I do find I feel more tired in the winter when it's cold when I'm playing football and get out of breath more easily. I always put it down to the temperature making it harder to breathe, but I can't back that up with any science!

Does anybody here run evryday ?

I just read about a 57 year old guy that runs 50kms evryday, is that even possible..

When Eddie Izzard did all those marathons in a row (less than 50km) it destroyed him.

So it sounds unlikely.

Edited by Stevo985

Does anybody here run evryday ?

I just read about a 57 year old guy that runs 50kms evryday, is that even possible..

You shouldn’t be running every day especially on concrete, unless you weigh about a pound or a professional athlete.

Your body needs time to recuperate.

Edited by VillaForever1970
  • Like 1

You can run everyday, lots of people do it. However they won't be running 50km everyday as that will place a lot of stress on the body. However if you do run everyday, it needs to be at a low intensity. Personally I like to have a days rest in between runs.

I am running Monday, Tuesday (big run), Wednesday and Saturday (big run) and all is well so far. Went running with a mate last night, his first since before Christmas, went well, hopefully start going up a mile each week now.

• Like 1

Â