Running

trimandson

Got a time of 2 hours 20 mins yesterday. Was a bit gutted because I was 10 minutes slower than last year and I wanted to get it under 2 hours. But I didn't really do any training, so I can't complain. I always lose my rhythm from Cannon Hill Park onwards, I was on track for under 2 hours at that point. It all seems uphill from then on and I really struggle.

I always get the bug after the run, I really want to get out there now and train to get a better time, but I'll sign up to do it next year and start to lose interest as it approaches.

I think I need to do a few different runs too, I've only done the Birmingham one. I'd like to give the Great North Run a go.

I'm determined to start running properly now.  I'll go out on my own a few times to get some base fitness and then we can go out together if you like?

Could do the Halesowen 10k route or something :D

iirc, you don't live far from Haden Hill Park? It's a very good place for a run and a few circuits around there would be a great starting point.

Sounds good to me, anything to get me off my arse and keep me motivated.

Haden Hill would definitely give me some practice on hills! 

Haden Hill and not having an Ipod is the reason I've been putting it off tbh. 

Haden hill breaks you spiritually if you've ran it a few times and it begins to get harder and harder.. I have no idea why, but I hate that cunting hill.

I do a circuit from my house in QB that takes in Cradley Heath, Old Hill, Barrs Road (a right git), Haden Hill Park, Colley Gate then back home.

Sorts out the men from the boys that one :D

Barrs is never that bad I don't think (from when I've ran before).  The worst part of my run is Haden Hill park, I do (or try to) 3 laps starting at the top.  The side near the road from the pond up to the house is so steep... I blow out my arse and really look forward to the downhill run. 

My best run went from Haden Hill, down the Dudley road to Manor Way, turn right onto Manor Way, all the way to the Harvester, then run through Dunstall road and Corngreaves estate, back into Haden Hill.  Works out at about 8 miles I think.  Only done it 3 or 4 times, it's the flatest route around the area, everything is a damn hill! :D

whats the best way to run up them?

I just literally tried to put one foot in front of another at one point, just to keep going..

Must have been steeper than Mucklows hill..

Yeah you really don't realise how steep haden hi park is. Remember doing a geography report on it at a school and had to walk round it. At the time I was probably participating in over 20 hrs of sport a week and yet it still tired me out.

As for Birmingham half I did it a few yrs back.. Those hills after cannon hill park are a killer

I just literally tried to put one foot in front of another at one point, just to keep going..

Try and run off the front of the foot and most importantly drive your arms, the faster you move your arms, the faster your legs will go.

IMHO Hill repeats are the single best training session you can do to improve running ability

• Like 2

when you say "front of the foot" - do you mean almost "tip toe" it up the hill?

I found myself naturally leaning forward into the hill any ways.

Also, good tip about the arm pumping.  I'll check it out tonight (going again, I ache, but something better than nothing, right?) (FU Donnie!)

Yeah its kind of like tip toe.

Glad you are keen, but just be a bit careful and vary your sessions, you can run everyday (not sure I would recommend it) but half of it needs to be at a jogging pace, i.e. one day hard session, next easy jog for 15-20mins. If you dont things will breakdown quickly wether that be a muscle problem or illness etc. I have fallen foul of this plenty times. The best way to control this is to get a heart rate monitor and workout your zones (http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm) and makes sure you stay within "recovery" on the easy days.

• Like 2

Andy, Darren

What are your thoughts on compression socks i was looking at something like these

http://www.wiggle.com/compressport-r2-race-recovery-calf-guard/ a bit pricy 

http://www.wiggle.com/run-breeze-compression-sock/ cheaper version

Really tired of cramping up especially my calfs do they help much i know you look like a tool wearing them but i'll gladly wear them if it means i don't end up limping after every run i'm willing to try anything at this point haha

Thinking of changing my shoes as well to some Saucony V's

Edited by AshVilla

Never used them and never needed to I'm afraid. I've always just used stuff like more mile socks and they barely come over my ankles.

Cramping is just your muscles being jump started. Keep going and it'll go away. I used to get side stitch a lot. It's when I was pushing through a speed barrier and running too hard for my body. Now I don't.

I reckon core strength is the one thing that can stop problems all over the body. So 10 press ups every other morning (or however many you can manage) will help your body become nice and rigid while your legs are moving, and stop certain muscles having to work in unnatural ways.

Before you get some new trainers, do you have a photo of the bottom of some of your well used shoes or trainers?

As for running up hills, I echo Andy's comments. I find a good mental technique is to pretend you're punching the floor and it will naturally stop your arms from getting too high, opening your chest up and allowing you to drive up rather than shuffle. Keep a good short quick rhythm with your feet as well.

Try and run off the front of the foot and most importantly drive your arms, the faster you move your arms, the faster your legs will go.

IMHO Hill repeats are the single best training session you can do to improve running ability

My mate and I used to jog 2 miles to Greenwich hill , do 10 hill sprints up it and then jog 2 miles back to the office

He was like a machine every hill sprint exactly the same time .. I used to beat him on the first 1 or 2 , deteriorate little by little over the next 6 before beating him again on the final 2 and giving him the loser sign as I stormed home :)

He could probably have done another 20 or 30 all at the same time to be honest

His marathon time was good enough that he used to get an invite , he just can't kick for toffee :)

Andy, Darren

What are your thoughts on compression socks i was looking at something like these

http://www.wiggle.com/compressport-r2-race-recovery-calf-guard/ a bit pricy

http://www.wiggle.com/run-breeze-compression-sock/ cheaper version

Really tired of cramping up especially my calfs do they help much i know you look like a tool wearing them but i'll gladly wear them if it means i don't end up limping after every run i'm willing to try anything at this point haha

Check out brooks before you commit

They may not be for you but seriously I've been flying since i got mine .... Took another 20 secs off my PB today and that was after a very slow start as i was a bit stiff from badminton last night

They are a comfortable fit and seem to be helping my heavy running style ( due to being a bit porky these past years ) , your local sweat shop should be able to help you out I think they stock Saucony as well

Andy, Darren

http://www.wiggle.com/compressport-r2-race-recovery-calf-guard/ a bit pricy 

http://www.wiggle.com/run-breeze-compression-sock/ cheaper version

I suffer from calf issues quite alot an usually when Im not wearing compression socks. Darren is right with strength sessions and doing calf raises would help with this (I should do more) but I personally find compression socks really useful. I use the compressport but I recently ripped a pair of them putting them on after only using them a couple of times, so not happy as they can be expensive if you buy them from say a shop in Mallorca :-) Anyway I would highly recommend these: http://www.110shop.co.uk/collections/socks I got them at a triathlon show earlier this year and very very happy with them.

I love my Saucony A6 they just feel so much faster than any other shoe I have warn, I have just bought some Kinvara TR2 trail shoes for some winter offroad action.

May or may not be useful but I sent a session to my buddy a couple of days ago as he is in New York on business this week but is racing at great south run with me on Sunday and wanted something to keep him sharp.

So basically it is (in minutes) 5 (2/12 slow jog), 4 (2 slow jog), 3 (1 1/2 slow jog), 2 (1 slow jog), 1 (30 secs slow jog), 30. So all of them have to be strenuous, but not enough so that after the first 5 mins you are done, but on the other hand the last 30secs you want to bury yourself. Distance isnt really the important thing here though its about the time and effort, so all you have to worry about is picking time up off the watch.

I did this session last week around the local park (where parkrun is held): Activity

I ran again tonight. Did 2.17 miles in haden hill (hilly!) In 28 mins. So i ran further in a much quicker time. I had to stop a couple of times to stopy heart bursting through my chest, but it's progress in 24 hours.

The wind and rain were unreal towards the end, and I twisted my ankle on a conker :(

Going to have tomorrow off as my body aches quite a lot and I don't want to not have fun doing this.

Looking forward to Thursday when I'll try an get out again.

Also, thanks for the advice, it really helped a couple of times :thumb:

I did 3.8 miles in 35 minutes tonight, also by Haden Hill (not in the park, but basically around the edge of it, past Halesowen College and back round in a circle. I didn't twist my ankle on a conker, but I did experience some heavy rain and wind.

I did 3.8 miles in 35 minutes tonight, also by Haden Hill (not in the park, but basically around the edge of it, past Halesowen College and back round in a circle. I didn't twist my ankle on a conker, but I did experience some heavy rain and wind.

If I'd known you were running around the roads there I would've drove past shouting abuse ;)

There's loads if parks in brum.

Woodgate is long, thin and circular.

One on the Hadley road, large square and flat.

Haden hill in cradley, short, square and steep.

One over by the rover factory, long, square, flat and steep.

Cannon hill park, huge, flat and square.

Check em out :)

I'm visiting some friends in Birmingham this weekend and may Parkrun on Saturday morning. There appear to be a few choices, can anyone advise which is the best?

Arrow Valley! Cannon Hill is too busy ;-)

Â