economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

I'm sure it's genuine , but hey this is the interweb

so unless you are still learning how to use an iPhone can we have a link to verify that

A) it isn't from 2011

and

B) isn't some form of internet wit that has been picked up as serious

so unless you are still learning how to use an iPhone can we have a link to verify that

A) it isn't from 2011

and

Closed it down, not hunting for it now, sorry.

But you will easily find many non-paying examples of things which are clearly what should be paid jobs, without my help.

6 months 'training', with the low chance to gain a minimum wage job at the end of it. Not at the same place, obviously, they'll kick the 'participant' to the side at the end of the 'opportunity', and get in some other desperate sod to work for free for 6 months.

Edited by Davkaus

peterms, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:34 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:31 PM, said:

A) it isn't from 2011

and

Closed it down, not hunting for it now, sorry.

But you will easily find many non-paying examples of things which are clearly what should be paid jobs, without my help.

when I was a lad it was called a YTS  , all be it you got paid a very few £

It was still a pretty shit idea when it was called YTS.

It's an apprenticeship without the structured learning or the chance of a skilled trade job at the end of it.

You don't need to spend 6 months unpaid to learn how to use a till and dunk some chips in a fryer. You can bet if they couldn't get taxpayer-subsidised free labour, the on the job training would take about 20 minutes.

Davkaus, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:46 PM, said:

It's an apprenticeship without the structured learning or the chance of a skilled trade job at the end of it.

You don't need to spend 6 months unpaid to learn how to use a till and dunk some chips in a fryer. You can bet if they couldn't get taxpayer-subsidised free labour, the on the job training would take about 20 minutes.

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/training-courses-585.htm

maybe it's 1 day (or 3 ) to learn to fry the fish and 5 months and numerous days to learn how to work out how much change to give people 

Davkaus, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:46 PM, said:

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/training-courses-585.htm

maybe it's 1 day (or 3 ) to learn to fry the fish and 5 months and numerous days to learn how to work out how much change to give people 

So that's one day learning how to work in a chippy, or three days learning how to manage one.  The rest of the six months must be learning how to demonstrate flexibility in a changing labour market.

• Like 2

The number of people in employment is going up.  Unemployment is going down.

This counts as employment, one of the many private sector jobs that have been created.

30-40 hours a week in a chippy, learning to fry chips.  Six month stretch.  No pay.

812574451_zpsa766f784.png

I've only read bits of the thread so not up to speed like you guys, so the unemployment figures are not accurate at all and if they force the long term unemployment into schemes then they will come off the figures as well. Then theres the under 25s. So not only are they attacking the poor they are going to make themselves look good doing it. Scumbag government!

• Like 2

PaulC, on 03 Oct 2013 - 5:03 PM, said:PaulC, on 03 Oct 2013 - 5:03 PM, said:PaulC, on 03 Oct 2013 - 5:03 PM, said:

peterms, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:15 PM, said:peterms, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:15 PM, said:peterms, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:15 PM, said:

This counts as employment, one of the many private sector jobs that have been created.

30-40 hours a week in a chippy, learning to fry chips.  Six month stretch.  No pay.

I've only read bits of the thread so not up to speed like you guys, so the unemployment figures are not accurate at all and if they force the long term unemployment into schemes then they will come off the figures as well. Then theres the under 25s. So not only are they attacking the poor they are going to make themselves look good doing it. Scumbag government!

since your post got 2 likes from the left foot forward brigade I can only assume it's for your use of the word "scumbag government "

their chance to confirm that it's the policy of massaging figures and that they are not hypocrites is published below  for them to issue Likes 

for example in  2001 the unemployed statics were changed so that

QuoteCertain groups who had never worked, such as housewives whose husbands were in work, and people leaving school, were not eligible for benefit and would not be included in the claimant count.

thousands of other people were not counted as unemployed because they were in government-sponsored training schemes , for example the unemployment total did not include the 133,000 people who were on training and employment schemes through the New Deal. 

and so on

massaging figures is nothing new , and I suspect the next government already has a cunning plan to remove a few more hundred thousand off a headline figure

Edit : probably a bit strong with the hypocrites phrase there , sorry chaps , long day

Edited by tonyh29

PaulC, on 03 Oct 2013 - 5:03 PM, said:PaulC, on 03 Oct 2013 - 5:03 PM, said:

peterms, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:15 PM, said:peterms, on 03 Oct 2013 - 2:15 PM, said:

since your post got 2 likes from the left foot forward brigade I can only assume it's for your use of the word "scumbag government "

their chance to confirm that it's the policy of massaging figures and that they are not hypocrites is published below  for them to issue Likes 

for example in  2001 the unemployed statics were changed so that

Certain groups who had never worked, such as housewives whose husbands were in work, and people leaving school, were not eligible for benefit and would not be included in the claimant count.

thousands of other people were not counted as unemployed because they were in government-sponsored training schemes , for example the unemployment total did not include the 133,000 people who were on training and employment schemes through the New Deal. 

and so on

massaging figures is nothing new , and I suspect the next government already has a cunning plan to remove a few more hundred thousand off a headline figure

I shouldn't have used those words, but I'm far from left myself and I know govts have been massaging figures for 30/40 years or more but its not just that. Its this hate campaign against the poorest in our society and everything else that goes with it that I cant stand. We've become a very selfish country.

well I guess we will come back to Thatcher shortly  :)

.. but I'm not so sure that we have become selfish  ... Comic relief , Children in need etc continues to raise Millions ..more and more people are doing charity runs etc

What we have become imo is a country that needs a victim ... and that seem to be Johnny foreigner or Dole scroungers  .. when we had the boom years nobody seemed to care , now we have the bust years we need someone to blame  ... all the(main)  parties are falling over themselves to say how tough they will be on immigration , when Howard made it an issue in 2006 he got trounced ( there were of course other factors , Howard himself for one)  because by and large people were having it good in 2006

As I said the other day in a thread  .. I've no issue with any government clamping down on fraudulent claimants ..IF they can ensure that genuine claimants don't get penalised in the process  ...

• Like 1

new car sales high....

New car sales hit the highest level in more than five years
_69658698_ford.fiesta.g.jpgThe Ford Fiesta is the UK's bestselling car

New car sales hit the highest level in September for five and a half years as the latest 63-plate attracted buyers.

The Society for Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said 403,136 new cars were registered, a rise of 12.1% on 2012.

That is still below the average for September before the credit crisis of 416,000.

September sales are typically strong as it is one of the two months when new registration plates are issued.

One in seven cars sold in the UK are made in the country.

Ford remains the UK's top selling make of car, with 20,600 of its Fiesta model sold in the month, Vauxhall's Corsa was in second place with 14,500 vehicles sold.

The SMMT's chief executive, Mike Hawes, said: "The UK market is reflecting growing economic confidence."

"Robust private demand has played a major role in this growth, with customers attracted by exciting, increasingly fuel-efficient new models which offer savings in the cost of ownership."

Richard Lowe, an analyst from Barclays said: "Attractive finance packages are offering consumers more clarity on running costs, which even with a more promising economic outlook is an important factor for those on a budget."

But he added that the UK car market was likely to remain strong: "As we head into the quieter months, I suspect we'll see sales hold firm, keeping the UK market zooming ahead of our European counterparts."

I haven't seen many 63 plates myself but hey ho,  a sign of confidence perhaps

Edited by Richard

There is an article in the Torygraph today saying the UK economy is the fastest growing in the developed world. Always wary of any statistics that come from a government but things do seem to be improving on the macro scale. That's not to say everything is rosy in the garden but it's definitely better than things getting worse!

• Like 1

There is an article in the Torygraph today saying the UK economy is the fastest growing in the developed world. Always wary of any statistics that come from a government but things do seem to be improving on the macro scale. That's not to say everything is rosy in the garden but it's definitely better than things getting worse!

Real wages have fallen further than in most of Europe.

Private debt, having fallen slightly after the banking crisis, is is starting to rise again.

This is back to front.  Economic recovery requires a reduction in private debt, and in increase in real wages.

We are seeing the start of Osborne's attempt to reinflate the house price bubble, replacing real economic improvement with another Ponzi scheme to give the illusion of improvement.

As the Torygraph recognises, this will not end well.

• Like 1

Yes its a nightmare waiting to happen. "The current, extraordinarily low levels of Bank interest rates, combined with quantitative easing and subsidies for credit, are an aberration. At some point, they will be replaced by more normal conditions, something for which millions of households are still not ready."

Yep and as usual its the whole concept of party politics that is to blame. Party Politics breeds this short-termist, got to get re-elected, 3-5 year con job economic outlook. It's never about what the country as a whole needs, its about another term on the gravy train, noses in the trough and looking after number one.

It still doesn't matter who you elect out of the three main parties, they'll all sell the country down the river for another 5 years

bickster, on 04 Oct 2013 - 7:02 PM, said:

Yep and as usual its the whole concept of party politics that is to blame. Party Politics breeds this short-termist, got to get re-elected, 3-5 year con job economic outlook. It's never about what the country as a whole needs, its about another term on the gravy train, noses in the trough and looking after number one.

It still doesn't matter who you elect out of the three main parties, they'll all sell the country down the river for another 5 years

Fixed terms FTW

(sorry)

was a  serious point and a good one  .. It is a frustrating thing like you say .. Party gets in has 5 years to do something , doesn't do it and then criticises the other party for not doing it and so on ...

Do you think the libdems are going to do much in the next election. I think a lot of normal labour voters voted for them and felt let down by the coalition the Tories. So they will loose their votes. Hopefully the UKIP will split the Tory vote and Labour will get a majority.

Â