Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

Posted (edited)

All the "new" teams that qualified for CL this season like us look better equipped to do well than we do:

• Stuttgart - 2nd in Bundesliga on 73 points from 34 games, GD of +39, lost only one of their last 16 league games
  • Girona - will finish 3rd in La Liga only behind Barca and Real and ahead of Atletico, 78 points from 37 games, GD of +32
  • Bologna - probably a bit more like us, 67 points from 36 games (2 to go), but only lost 5 games and GD of +24
  • Leverkusen - goes without saying, unbeaten in all competitions, GD of +65 in their league, insane

There is a lot of work to do just to beat these teams let alone the really top ones like Real, PSG and Bayern. We need a really good transfer window and in particular to target players with elite mentalities because the players who played today don't have that at all. 

It would be a real disappointment if we qualified for Europe's top tournament for the first time in 41 years to just get embarrassed. Especially given we're one of the few teams to have actually won the damn thing.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

All the "new" teams that qualified for CL this season like us look better equipped to do well than we do:

• Stuttgart - 2nd in Bundesliga on 73 points from 34 games, GD of +39, lost only one of their last 16 league games
  • Girona - will finish 3rd in La Liga only behind Barca and Real and ahead of Atletico, 78 points from 37 games, GD of +32
  • Bologna - probably a bit more like us, 67 points from 36 games (2 to go), but only lost 5 games and GD of +24
  • Leverkusen - goes without saying, unbeaten in all competitions, GD of +65 in their league, insane

There is a lot of work to do just to beat these teams let alone the really top ones like Real, PSG and Bayern. We need a really good transfer window and in particular to target players with elite mentalities because the players who played today don't have that at all. 

It would be a real disappointment if we qualified for Europe's top tournament for the first time in 41 years to just get embarrassed. Especially given we're one of the few teams to have actually won the damn thing.

well Girona might not be allowed play until they sort out the City situation, Leverkusen are as much of a new team as Juventus or Lille

Bologna will but maybe also Stuttgart will be looking for a new manager

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Jeesussss

• Thanks 1

Well, yes, being competitive in the Champions League is really **** hard, wtf? Embarrassed? What would constitute embarrassment? Not winning it? Missing out on advancing with a point? 2? If this shit had been easy everyone would be doing it. This is the most completive tournament in club football, of course it will be hard. Especially for a club like us with little experience of playing in it.

Let's just enjoy finally qualifying for it, as we have been longing for for **** decades. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Have you ever considered maybe following football may not be best for you man?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Have you ever considered maybe following football may not be best for you man?

Lol, why so bitchy. My post was perfectly reasonable, if you don’t agree with me you can say so in an intelligent and purposeful way rather than just trying to put me down. 

We’ve been hammered just as many times as West Ham this season and looked shaky for months, if you don’t think that’s cause for concern fine but I do.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah but many of those teams will have managers and their better players cherry picked.

We don't know what our squad will look like at the start of the season I trust The Don to have a plan to negotiate The Champions League.

It's bloody exciting there will be 8 chances for us to pit ourselves against Europe's elite what more can a fan ask for!?

UTV

Just now, S-Platt said:

Yeah but many of those teams will have managers and their better players cherry picked.

We don't know what our squad will look like at the start of the season I trust The Don to have a plan to negotiate The Champions League.

It's bloody exciting there will be 8 chances for us to pit ourselves against Europe's elite what more can a fan ask for!?

UTV

I’m excited I just want us to rectify the very clear issues we have before the start of next season, precisely because we will be facing Europe’s elite while still trying to maintain a top 4 push.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Lol, why so bitchy. My post was perfectly reasonable, if you don’t agree with me you can say so in an intelligent and purposeful way rather than just trying to put me down. 

We’ve been hammered just as many times as West Ham this season and looked shaky for months, if you don’t think that’s cause for concern fine but I do.

Because we just had out best season for 40+ years? 

Yes we may well get smashed next season against teams that are more established. The only reason we won't succeed will not be for trying or lack or effort or competence by the staff and owners. The reason will be the shit rules in place to try and limit newer teams succeeding.

Why can't you just stop looking for negatives all the time and maybe just try and enjoy how we are doing for 5 minutes. All teams bar a few get hammered once in a while. Surely you knew yesterday was not going to be max effort and intensity and it showed, after a long hard injury ravaged season.

You just seem to constantly find negatives. How did you cope when we got relegated, if this is how you are at a comparatively great time. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Christ are Villa fans ever actually happy? Who gives a shit what happens right now. Just enjoy the moment eh. 

I don't think football fans are happy at any point. 

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I don't think football fans are happy at any point. 

I'm starting to think alot of people on here are actually trolls. Otherwise why spend so much effort and money on something that makes you so miserable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Christ are Villa fans ever actually happy? Who gives a shit what happens right now. Just enjoy the moment eh. 

It’s just one fan tbf. I’m not even sure he’s a fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I’m excited I just want us to rectify the very clear issues we have before the start of next season, precisely because we will be facing Europe’s elite while still trying to maintain a top 4 push.

Don't think there are issues to address, other than Sqaud depth for more quality, if we hadn't of got the injuries we've had this season, I think we would of finished more comfortably in the top 4 & maybe stayed in the title race longer, so little bit of luck with injuries next season & a few good additions, we will be just fine under Emery.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

UTV

This is a great point and exactly what will happen across Europe and the premier league, Palace being the great example of everyone is buoyant after the end of the season however the reality is they will lose at least one or maybe evn two of the main reason this happens.

Yesterday didnt matter but i hate the fact it was 5-0 however where we are for game one of next season will be completely different and Unai will have them ready again and we will be far more excited/settled about how CL ready we are when that draw comes round

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It’s just one fan tbf. I’m not even sure he’s a fan.

There's a two as bad as each other, and few that have me scratching my head 🙃

50 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Because we just had out best season for 40+ years? 

Yes we may well get smashed next season against teams that are more established. The only reason we won't succeed will not be for trying or lack or effort or competence by the staff and owners. The reason will be the shit rules in place to try and limit newer teams succeeding.

Why can't you just stop looking for negatives all the time and maybe just try and enjoy how we are doing for 5 minutes. All teams bar a few get hammered once in a while. Surely you knew yesterday was not going to be max effort and intensity and it showed, after a long hard injury ravaged season.

You just seem to constantly find negatives. How did you cope when we got relegated, if this is how you are at a comparatively great time. 

Best season in 28 years yes. Ok so all the work is done now and we can just return to mediocrity. That's now how it works if you want to be a big club.

I'm happy but there have been some bumps this season that I want addressed. It's negative but it's constructive, I'm always looking for ways we can improve and get better, if everything was rosy this season I wouldn't be saying anything negative. I was actually probably more positive at the end of last season and if you look at my posts there was very little negative, because last season we ended on a real high and went into this season with real optimism. 

The relegation season is a bit of a blur to be honest, I blanked it out, I don't think any Villa fan enjoyed it. Attendances were at an all time low if you want reminding. We are a completely different team now though.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree.

• Haha 1

Â