Villa not lasting the pace

MarkLillis

Spurs are well known throughout football for being Spursy.

Whereas a lot of football fans don't really remember our top 4 challenges or drop offs because they were so long ago. However Villa have been Typically Villa quite a few times over the years in my memory.

Most of us have seen Villa fall away when our hopes have been raised before in at least one season. So take your mind of this year it hasn't happened yet...... and cast your mind back to previous disappointments.

When did you realise we didn't have enough during a potentially good season?

I'll start 

1998/99 - we lost 4-1 at home to Coventry i knew it was all over then, i can still picture Boateng smashing the ball into the roof of the net and there fans going mental.

That was the 4th defeat in 5 games and we went on to finish 6th after being top at Christmas.

CSKA/Stoke omnishambles. Please to the love of Mcgrath don't do this again Villa.

What really annoyed me was not just blowing 4th, but letting Everton overtake us for 5th when we were the better side the entire season. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Spurs are well known throughout football for being Spursy.

Whereas a lot of football fans don't really remember our top 4 challenges or drop offs because they were so long ago. However Villa have been Typically Villa quite a few times over the years in my memory.

Most of us have seen Villa fall away when our hopes have been raised before in at least one season. So take your mind of this year it hasn't happened yet...... and cast your mind back to previous disappointments.

When did you realise we didn't have enough during a potentially good season?

I'll start 

1998/99 - we lost 4-1 at home to Coventry i knew it was all over then, i can still picture Boateng smashing the ball into the roof of the net and there fans going mental.

That was the 4th defeat in 5 games and we went on to finish 6th after being top at Christmas.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

4th was always going to be a tall order. Losing out on 5th when we have a 8 point advantage will be a hard one to stomach.

I think 6th will be a good season....with what we have available.

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think 6th will be a good season....with what we have available.

Good season overall but considering the 8 point gap over United it would be very disappointing if we throw it away.  I think it’s 4th / 5th or Conference though. Going to be hard to manage both. 

Or United can just go back to being shit.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Season 20/21 was a disappointing drop off I thought.

We had a very good defensive unit and Ollie was adapting well in his debut prem season so wasn't that different to now.

We won one single game between middle of Feb and early May. I think that's when the major doubts started forming about Dean in the boardroom about how far he could really take us as the opportunity was there.

We then beat Spurs and Chelsea back to back right at the end of the season with Grealish back in. Was a unique year with no crowds but 11th wasn't enough for the football we'd played at times that season. Liverpool 7-2, winning against Arsenal home and away, 4 points off Chelsea etc.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Season 20/21 was a disappointing drop off I thought.

We had a very good defensive unit and Ollie was adapting well in his debut prem season so wasn't that different to now.

We won one single game between middle of Feb and early May. I think that's when the major doubts started forming about Dean in the boardroom about how far he could really take us as the opportunity was there.

We then beat Spurs and Chelsea back to back right at the end of the season with Grealish back in. Was a unique year with no crowds but 11th wasn't enough for the football we'd played at times that season. Liverpool 7-2, winning against Arsenal home and away, 4 points off Chelsea etc.

We were entirely dependent on Grealish unfortunately, and once he went out, we dropped off a cliff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

We were entirely dependent on Grealish unfortunately, and once he went out, we dropped off a cliff.

Annoying when you see Barkley doing well for Luton and he completely flopped for us in that period as he had at least the profile to be a ball carrier in the final third and score goals.

All I can remember from him that season after the first couple of games is subbing him around hour mark and him trudging off the side of the pitch and kicking a water bottle, was basically the same scene for ten games running.

Â