Villa Pre Season 24/25 Season

39 minutes ago, andykeenan said:

Columbus Crew
Saturday, July 27 at Lower.com Field kick-off 8pm local time. 

U.S. again!!! Can’t we try other markets than the U.S….

Asia, South America…surely are better markets and better competitive pre-season matches than another U.S. trip.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

U.S. again!!! Can’t we try other markets than the U.S….

Asia, South America…surely are better markets and better competitive pre-season matches than another U.S. trip.

There’s a reason that PL teams & the big European teams annually come to the states. The market here is huge and is exponentially growing. Funnily, I was listening to C&B earlier and the international markets was mentioned on a few questions.

i can see parts of Asia being a good place to go on a tour (South Korea, Japan, China, India) but we still don’t have that player which will be the first step in increasing revenue there. South America is generally a no go for most European teams — I don’t really recall the last time any major team went on tour there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

There’s a reason that PL teams & the big European teams annually come to the states. The market here is huge and is exponentially growing. Funnily, I was listening to C&B earlier and the international markets was mentioned on a few questions.

i can see parts of Asia being a good place to go on a tour (South Korea, Japan, China, India) but we still don’t have that player which will be the first step in increasing revenue there. South America is generally a no go for most European teams — I don’t really recall the last time any major team went on tour there.

South America is like Europe, is no chance teams will be as important as the big clubs. Villa could buy every great Argentine player for next 50 years and Boca/River would dominate us in Argentina. Same with Brazil, Mexico etc

US, Asia and lesser extent Africa is where the new fans are and without being rude a lot of plastic fans who would happily swap Chelsea for City

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

U.S. market isn’t that huge with 350m people compared to Asia.  While growing they still have many massive other sports to compete attention for.

30 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

i can see parts of Asia being a good place to go on a tour (South Korea, Japan, China, India) but we still don’t have that player which will be the first step in increasing revenue there.

Same can be said about U.S. we don’t have a player from there.

31 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

South America is generally a no go for most European teams — I don’t really recall the last time any major team went on tour there.

Hence why potentially an opportunity to go there especially with the South Americans we have.  

Imagine a game in Argentina given we have Martinez.  

Plus getting links and exposure in South America will make us more of an option for the great young South American talent especially if nobody else goes there and with our heavy South American and Spanish players and coach.  

U.S. is not even close to competing with that and every man and his dog goes to U.S. and bigger clubs than us.  South America is more untapped.  

There maybe a reason for that, it’s unknown but surely with the likes of Martinez in our ranks it’s as good a time as any.  

re U.S. we are just following other bigger clubs over there and to a smaller market and the games are pretty average.  

Just think of a game versus River Plate compared to against Columbus Crew…not really a comparison in terms of exposure, interest or preseason fitness.

Great for the U.S. Villa fans but a wasted opportunity on many fronts imo.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

U.S. market isn’t that huge with 350m people compared to Asia.  While growing they still have many massive other sports to compete attention for.

Hence why potentially an opportunity to go there especially with the South Americans we have.  

Plus getting links and exposure in South America will make us more of an option for the great young South American talent especially if nobody else goes there and with our heavy South American and Spanish players and coach.  

U.S. is not even close to competing with that and every man and his dog goes to U.S. and bigger clubs than us.  South America is more untapped.  

There maybe a reason for that, it’s unknown but surely with the likes of Martinez in our ranks it’s as good a time as any.  

re U.S. we are just following other bigger clubs over there and to a smaller market and the games are pretty average.  

Just think of a game versus River Plate compared to against Columbus Crew…not really a comparison in terms of exposure, interest or preseason fitness.

US is apparently paying 1 billion more for TV rights than APAC are ao market growing there

Also we have zero chance of making a  dent in South America financially

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

US is apparently paying 1 billion more for TV rights than APAC are ao market growing there

Hadn’t seen that, I thought it was very much the other way with all the various countries in that region and the vast interest in the Premier League.

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Also we have zero chance of making a  dent in South America financially

I’m not quite sure what this means but attracting younger players from that region, building our fan base over there even if we are their second team compared to their local team…I’m sure they’ll be commercial opportunities of some kind.  Whereas U.S. we are just one of raft of teams coming over and not even close to the big teams going there and who have been there multiple times.

Ahh well, it’s only preseason, not going to get too bothered about it…just a bit of a boring decision imo but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m not quite sure what this means but attracting younger players from that region, building our fan base over there even if we are their second team compared to their local team…I’m sure they’ll be commercial opportunities of some kind.  Whereas U.S. we are just one of raft of teams coming over and not even close to the big teams going there and who have been there multiple times.

Ahh well, it’s only preseason, not going to get too bothered about it…just a bit of a boring decision imo but it is what it is.

Is no money in travelling there and most importantly South American fans dont have an appetite for European teams. They will find it arrogamt if teams came travelling looking for fans.

Messi one of the greatest players ever, until a few years ago he was not liked in Argentina compared to Tevez because he cared more for the Champions League.

Only way attract more South American players is to sign them

• Like 1

I think their aim is that the US is very much a sport culture and that the biggest sport (NFL) is only played for around 20 weeks of the year - lots of growth there.

Additionally - the US time zone lines up reasonably well with the majority of prem matches (unless you're West Coast) so it's much easier to follow whereas the majority of Asian countries would have to watch the Premier League in the middle of the night.

Wes Edens is a co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks with Jimmy Haslam who owns Columbus Crew (and the Cleveland Browns who have previous links with us with Randy Lerner), so I imagine that's how this friendly got arranged.

Makes you wonder whether V Sports will do a potential partnership with Columbus Crew after the failure of the Las Vegas Villans project.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

yep, a lot of what @Zatman said is what I would say. NBC is paying $2.7 billion for the next 6 years of PL tv rights over here in the states. That's an eye watering sum for it and they are growing the game with other things as well. I also would say that the fanbase over in the US is much more likely to follow a PL club not due to a player whereas most of the Asian countries are focused on following a player (Spurs, Wolves, & Arsenal atm). 

I understand the point you are making with going to south America (Argentina in particular), but the fan culture isn't going to mesh well with what Villa would be trying to achieve. I can't even remember if/when Real Madrid or Barcelona (with their global popularity) went on tour in South America last. 

Though, I am surprised we aren't doing anything with Kobe. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Don't agree with that , the Asia part we have Martinez his adored in Asia. That's we're new fans will come from the Asia markets and the revenue is there.

• Like 1

Seems Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United are touring USA in the summer and all playing each other.  We're aiming for a crowded market. 

• Like 1