Do you tip? (in the UK)

ender4

Do you tip in restaurants  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip in restaurants?

• Always (unless the service/food is terrible)
    • Most of the time (if the service/food has been decent)
    • Sometimes yes, sometimes no (depends on a number of factors)
    • Occasionally (only if the service/food has been fantastic)
    • Never

• 2 months later...

Yes.

Tipped 3 times this week. 

Taxi driver home the other day - coupe of quid. Went out for a meal with 3 mates last week, and we all left a fiver as a tip each, and a couple of quid tonight for the pizza delivery guy. 

I also tip my barber. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Yes.

Tipped 3 times this week. 

Taxi driver home the other day - coupe of quid. Went out for a meal with 3 mates last week, and we all left a fiver as a tip each, and a couple of quid tonight for the pizza delivery guy. 

I also tip my barber. 

Thats a lot of tipping. 

Taxi drivers - interesting one, why? 

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

Thats a lot of tipping. 

Taxi drivers - interesting one, why? 

Always have done, if i'm paying cash. Just to round up the amount. If its £28, I'll just give £30. I don't want change back. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Always have done, if i'm paying cash. Just to round up the amount. If its £28, I'll just give £30. I don't want change back. 

What if it’s say £5.50?

1 hour ago, bickster said:

What if it’s say £5.50?

This is why Uber is a lifesaver. It's always £2, the next morning when I've sobered up. 

Got chased down the street for accidentally not putting in 10 dollars extra on the tip in Miami. The tip was already over 100. Thank **** we don’t have that culture.

• Shocked 2

So Mrs Sidcow is convinced 15% is the new standard for tipping. 

These days with the 4 of us any kind of pub meal it going to be £80 odd plus.  That means we're at least tipping a waitress the minimum hourly wage. 

If she's waiting say 4 tables that night she's probably taking home 5 times the minimum wage.  Sounds like a hell of a job? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is why Uber is a lifesaver. It's always £2, the next morning when I've sobered up. 

Tipping slaves is a new thing obviously

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Tipping slaves is a new thing obviously

Assume their are other taxi firms he's free to work for. Or shelves that need stacking, or pints that need pouring. 

Or maybe try his hand at an office job or a bit of building work, take up a trade maybe. 

I wasn't aware he was forced into free labour for Uber. I'm going to get onto the local constabulary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Are there?

Do you refuse to take on Uber drivers? 

An Uber driver I spoke to the other day said he takes bookings from either Uber or Robin Hood Cars, and he prefers Robin Hood as he gets paid quicker. 

Dunno you know more about it than me but I'm sure they do get paid. 

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So Mrs Sidcow is convinced 15% is the new standard for tipping. 

These days with the 4 of us any kind of pub meal it going to be £80 odd plus.  That means we're at least tipping a waitress the minimum hourly wage. 

If she's waiting say 4 tables that night she's probably taking home 5 times the minimum wage.  Sounds like a hell of a job? 

10% max. Or 5-8% if it’s a big bill. 

My mate is a waiter in a nice restaurant, he makes £300 a day due to tips. Only works 3 days a week and clears £50k a year. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

10% max. Or 5-8% if it’s a big bill. 

My mate is a waiter in a nice restaurant, he makes £300 a day due to tips. Only works 3 days a week and clears £50k a year. 

All declared to the taxman as well no doubt. 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Do you refuse to take on Uber drivers? 

An Uber driver I spoke to the other day said he takes bookings from either Uber or Robin Hood Cars, and he prefers Robin Hood as he gets paid quicker. 

Dunno you know more about it than me but I'm sure they do get paid. 

The point I’m making is that Uber killed a lot of companies, there are less and less options

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

All declared to the taxman as well no doubt. 

Yes it will be as it’s a well known restaurant and he’s on PAYE. The tips are paid to him properly through payroll. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

The point I’m making is that Uber killed a lot of companies, there are less and less options

Agreed. And I resisted for a long time. But the fact is I got fed up of waiting for hours whilst everyone was being whisked away by Ubers. 

It's tough but as a consumer the offering is very compelling. It's a really good product. 

It's like complaining that Apple killed Blackberry. They've just brought out something that customers want more. 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's like complaining that Apple killed Blackberry. They've just brought out something that customers want more. 

Except they haven’t. But that’s for the dedicated thread

Â